Sparring

Discussion in 'Dekiti Tirsia Siradas' started by KMAA, Oct 29, 2008.

1. KMAA

KMAA New Member

What protective equipment do you have the students use/wear when they start sparring in FMA? Please be specific.

Thanks in advance!

2. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

For full contact sparring,
    beginning - soft stick, hand protecting, forearm protection - hand and arm only targets
    intermediate - soft stick, hand, arm, head, and chest protection if kicking
    advanced - live stick (thin), hand, arm, head protection

Light contact Live stick sparring -
    intermediate - live stick (thin), hand, forearm protection - hand and arm targets
    advanced - hand protection - hand, arm, soft tissue targets

Protective gear is also used in contact drills geared for fighting

Types of gesr used -
    Head Gear - Hockey helmet with cage - soft stick, stiff fencing mask - live stick
    Hand Protection - Hockey Glove or Lemeco Hand Protection
    Forearm protection - soft or hard pad

God Bless,
    Stephen
    DTS Florida

3. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Good job Bro.....

Let's not forget the shin guards which I like to use because those low attack hurts like hell with protaction, let alone without. "HERADA!"

4. Boz

Boz Kailat Kombatives Student

To me, it depends on what level of contact you are comfortable with. If you wish, you can progressively use less protective equipment. I have found that with action-flex-type padded sticks, I am comfortable with no safety equipment. With rattan, I most definately want at least head and hand protection. But I rarely do full contact with rattan. Others like to do hard sparring frequently. To each his or her own.

So basically, my advise is to start safe and then seek your own preference from there by progressively using less protective equipment and/or increasing the impact power of the weapon used to suit your level of comfort.

5. NAGA

NAGA Member

gear

Hey Guys,
    Usually WEKAF helmet hockey gloves, but I think we need to mention the two most important pieces of gear. 1.) for men a cup no doubt about it, for women the bra cup. 2.) some form of eye protection....

Now for specifics, a lot of the time we spar with minimal gear in an attempt, to apply principles of the system. Sometimes no protective gear at all which is stupid, (Pain is a great teacher) but some guys want do it. Well, one shot across the eyes and my guy the size of king kong drops. A shot to the crotch no cup and the sparring is is over folks... so at least eye protection and a cup no doubt about it. Also the above mentioned is done with padded weapons and even so the techniques work..

Thanks,
    John

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  6. R. Mike Snow

Yep I have to agree with you John,

Minimal protection with a good pair of high quality industrial eyewear is the way to go. I also think that slow controlled sparring for beginers is the way to go as well.

For two primary reasons:

ONE- the student does not forget that she / he is training to defend and/or spar with a potentially deadly weapong, wether it be a bladed or impact weapong.

TWO- the student learns to move properly in both an offensive and defensive manner.

I have noticed that new students in normally do one of three things:

ONE- get glue on the bottom of their shoes, stand square with each other and repetitively exchange blows.

TWO- shuffle back and forth like a boxer or fencer not getting out of the line of attack.

THREE- step to the side and and never penetrate to control and finish their opponent(s)

So until students have practiced literally thousands of repetitions of dozens of different Contradas and learned how to move prperly without gear, I just do not feel that full-speed sparring with full gear will do nothing but develope bad habbits. They might subconciously sperate sparring from training drills and applications and categorize it as a points game.

Stephen and I have engaged many discussions about this problem. We agree that slow controlled sparring at first with only protactive eyewear and mouthpiece are the way to go. That way their vision is NOT obstructed and they can concentrate on maneuvering around each other to attack, defend, counter attack, etc. John is correct stating that pain is the best teacher. We all survived Mom and Grandma's paddle welts didn't we.........

I also suggest eye protection for childern during practice at all times. Especially while doing Contradas. Sunkiti/ Punta, Punyo, Sak-sak and Pakal Contradas are all very dangerous to the eyes. Even as adults I like to see everyone wearing a baseball cap easpecially when doing Pakal and Sunkiti Contradas.

New students 50%

Newer students 75%

Intermediate 90% - 100% full - speed & full - contact.

So as their skill level increases their amount of protective gear will need to increase as well.

Just my opinion though.................

I personally prefer traing with a live blade, but I don't get a chance to very often. I remeber a few years ago when Arnisador and Brian Rideout were training with us here in Terre Haute. GT Nene got tired of us not moving our feet and making mistakes. So he pulled out his Talibong and started feeding us. Then started yelling, "Get out!." As he continued to feed attacks at us from different angles at us with the Talibong. None of us made any mistakes then. GT Nene, "No one ever makes any mistakes with the blade." Training was a little intense that day.

Pain was not the teacher that day, fear was.......................

7. Tunnel_Rat

Tunnel_Rat New Member

I think Headgear and a cup are important when using soft sticks. It is unsafe to hit the head(s) even with soft sticks, and sparring withough hitting the head makes one forget that there is even a head to hit. My first time using headgear, it was like "wow,,,i forgot we have heads to hit" And i found myself leaning in too much. Also some headgear reduced vision, and can be a distraction....also a good trainer.

8. R. Mike Snow

I think headgear is great for "Moving Target Practice". So that the new students know what it 's like to hit a moving target at full speed. The only headgear I like for sparring for intermediate level on up is a fencing mask. It is more realistic and they can still not ingnore the fact they have been hit. It still hurts like H E double hockey sticks.

With a soft stick, I just use a mouth piece, eye gear and a cup.

I used too know some tunnel rats when I was still in the IBEW. They were all crazy but good dudes. Talk about DUELING. A gentleman I knew named Gene was the only guy they would never hassle about carrying his side arm while he was working. The white hats would never say a word to him. He used to win tuck & roll competitions all the time too. I think I am going to try to look him up. I hope he's still around.

9. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

about the cap for protection lets not forget to wear every time in pratice supporter brief to protect us from getting hernia. and in sparring dont forget groin protection to protect the balls