Sparring with padded sticks

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by adelaide_stickfighter, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Sisco T.

Sisco T. New Member

'' For advanced, there is no use for protection unless your partner is a novice or beginner. The advance peeps are usually in control of their stick and the skills are more honed when it comes to almost reality fight s( with utmost control an discipline) with real sticks and real time sparring.''

i am sorry, but i could not disagree more with this statement. if you are referring to sparring, one should always wear, AT LEAST, eye protection, if not some sort of head gear. expert, beginner, master,guro, etc., if you are are sparring with impact to the head,face,etc. that is my reality for sparring.

Francisco

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I agree. Doesn't matter how good you are you can still accidently walk into a strike that hits on your ear or eye and causes damage to them. My hearing's getting bad enough as I age, so I try not to take chances with anything that could make it worse.

3. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

The most highly skilled motorcycle racer or the dragster driver would never think about even getting onto or into their machines to attempt a run without a roll bar a leather or firesuit or even a parachute. To tempt the hand of fate gets you hurt. Ego =take it like a man" is not a good state of mind for any trainer or student- my 2 pesos worth

4. geezer

geezer Member

Just today I attempted a disarm in an exchange and I succeeded--in disarming my opponent's stick right into my own eye. Ouch! Well, I'm an idiot. But, since we happened to be using padded sticks, at least I'm not a blind idiot! My dos centavos mas.

5. I think no armoured sparring is good for conditioning and mental toughness but lets face it you can not hit any where near as hard as you do in the armour. If the guys that I spar with were to hit you with their hardest shot with no armour you would stay hit, period. So I think one should still use the armour otherwise they are training to pull their shots.

6. animal_stylez

animal_stylez New Member

So what's the difference in training with a fencing mask vs. WEKAF style mask? I obviously haven't tried it, but there looks like less padding for one.

7. animal_stylez

animal_stylez New Member

Nevermind...I've got my answer! :D

8. kaligirl

kaligirl New Member

The main problem with sparring with padded sticks and with too much gear is that you can lapse into bad form because you are not aware of how damaging a blow can be....too often stick sparring ends up being a couple of people too close and hitting each other on the head (padded of course) but unrealistic and counterproductive.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, I see that all the time...with padded sticks you can train yourself to ignore debilitating hits, which of course impedes your training (unless you're training for sport).

10. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Depends in the padded sticks you use, we use the ones that have a solid rattan core, trust me when you get hit they still hurt which makes you move.

Best regards

Pat

11. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

No doubt about that Pat! [​IMG]

12. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander Junior Member

Oh I 2nd that motion!

I use their sticks and my guys use helmets and gloves and thats it.
    You do get one hell of a wollop!
    Of course,we have a reputation of hitting and fighting like cavemen, but we do get the job done ;)
    I like the rattan,but you can't train as often as you'd like or for as long without armour.
    I do love my padded sticks though :EvilGrin:

13. We sparred on the week end with just helmets, gloves and elbow pads and a rattan stick, boy did it sting but you still can't go full bore like with armour on. It was an educational experience though.

14. lameco_alex

lameco_alex New Member

in my opinion

HI GUYS!

I´M A DOCE PARES INSTRUCTOR UNDER GM CACOY CAÑETE AND GM RICHARD BUSTILLO; IN MY OPINION IS VERY IMPORTANT THE SPARRING WITHOUT ARMOUR AND THE PADDED STICKS ARE GOOD CHOICE, I THINK THAT IF YOU USE PADDED STICKS YOU DON´T NEED HELMET OR PADDED GLOVES, THIS WAY YOU WORK IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF PRIMARY ATTRIBUTES, PERCEPTION AND REACTION, TIMING, RANGE, POSITION, SPEED AND POWER, ALL OF THEM VERY IMPORTANT IN OUR PATH TO BE A WARRIORS..., BUT THIS IS A PERSONAL DESITION.

I´M A LAMECO ESKRIMA PRACTITIONER TOO, AND I LEARN FROM GURO DAVE GOULD HOW TO SPARRING WITHOUT ARMOR , LOOKS SIMPLE BUT THIS NEED A LOT OF HARD WORK:

1.- SPARRING WITH PADDED STICKS, HITTING ALL THE BODY EXCEPT THE HEAD
    2.-SPARRING WITH PADDED STICKS, HITTING ALL THE BODY INCLUDED THE HEAD

THE PURPOSE OF THIS PROGRESION IS TO MASTER THE DISTANCE AND LEARN HOW TO STAY SAFE AND PROTECT THE HEAD WHEN YOU CLOSE THE RANGE, IF YOU ALWAYS USE HELMET MAYBE YOU HAVE A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY...

YOU CAN DO THE SAME PROGRESION WITH THE LIGHT RATTAN STICKS, IT´S YOUR CHOICE, JUST TRY!

BE WELL

ALEX

15. HartCone

HartCone New Member

Yeah, I agree, must headgear for sparr...
    *haha! you made my body got blue and black bruise for two weeks, yeaaahhh!! great experience!!

Yuko!

Tonny Hart
    CDP-WF CMAA Indonesia Fellow

16. Pat OMalley

That again depends on the padded stick and the intent behind the shot. I have sparred on many occasion with padded sticks both with and without helmet and for safety reasons and for the fact that I can train longer I always recommend at least a helmet. I tend not to use gloves with the padded stick unless of course there is an injury to the hands which happens. I have seen a few broken hands with this format in my time.

That depends on how you approach your sparring session, if you train properly, when you receive a good shot to the head you appreaciate the practicalities of the helmet in that you can train for longer with less risk of serious damage, more training means better attributes too.

I do, but this too if used incorrectly can give you a false sense of security as the light rattan sticks do not give you the same all to often crippling impact a good solid heavy peice of rattan would when connected to a skull.

I and a few others tend to play in all formats from time to time but again are we giving ourselves a false sense of security when we use no protection, heavy sticks as we tend to pull our head shots as we know full well this will seriously damage our training partners. No, not if we appreaciate just what damage can be done.

I see no reason to cause unessisary damage to my training partners just for the sake of not falling in to the false sense of security mind set, for if I wanted to have a more realistic approach to my sparring without this risk I would use no protection, I would not pull my shots and I would use a nice solid peice of Bahi or even a sharp pinuti, pretty soon I would run out of sparring partners or they would run out of me and how would I be able to train my attributes then?

Train as realistically as you can yes, but train safely and train for longer and that way your attributes improve.

Best regards

Pat

17. Damien Alexander

I have to admit; I used to be of the same mind that using armour provides a sense of false security.
    But, I was wrong.

Even in wekaf helmets, you can get knocked for a serious loop with a good head shot. Some of the guys we have in Rapid Arnis hit something akin to an alabama mule! The helmet wouldn't make much difference as far as a blow to really knock you off balance and keep you off.
    If we sparred like this without gear,there would be some serious damage done if done at full force.
    We do drop it back a bit to help people learn to block the head strikes.
    With helmets,people don't tend to try and block as much since they think the helmet will do all the work for you. (andy marren,anyone?!)
    And anyone who "spars" with wood and NO protection anywhere is just too stupid to live.
    Outside of that, padded sticks are a blast!

18. Pat OMalley

Andy Marren hahaha he's not a man he's a machine eh 'D'

19. Damien Alexander

As I said before,we hit like cavemen.
    Andy "monster" marren IS a caveman with a shave!
    And I think I saw him dry shaving with a rock at the camp!

To be honest; the way some of the people hit that I have or trained with
    and the solidity of the padded sticks we use, you would be an absolute fool not to wear a helmet.
    I know this much, since the carrying of weapons for self defense is illegal in this country(hell, you can't even arm your own home here!), the padded sticks we use and for the power that can be generated with them...
    I'd be more than happy to abide by the law and use this particular "training" apperatus in a street fight.
    If I can garuntee,and I can ;), that with padded sticks and no helmelt that you WILL walk away with a massive headache and broken bones(small bones:hands,eyeball socket,nose,etc...).
    So,knowing what kind of damage you can do with these things,not to mention rattan and hardwood, why would you even consider no helmet and full contact?!

Unless you are mad at your teeth or something; then go for it!
    Knock'em clean out!

I'm ugly enough as it is :D