Sparring: How Important Is It for Swordfighters?

Discussion in 'Misc. Sword Arts' started by arnisador, Jul 20, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That makes sense...as long as the other person is not trying to model his technique after yours! Where I take BJJ I see this often though.

2. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Not applicable in real stick sparring, if you spar a beginner with a mentality of trying out some technique that needs polishing, then you'll pay it with your own bruises or something worst. Unless the beginner is a total dummy that will take all your shots without even attempting to take your head off. if you wanna learn anything by sparring someone, don't ever try it to a beginner who fights back, since you have to pull out everything you've learned just to survive the session unscathed.

3. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Well, I clearly pointed the part "...not a contest, especially with egos at loose".
    Of course, I try not do spar with peole who are not ready to engage in it, but even so, it still makes sense trying it out once in a blue moon with people who have different "dynamic stereotype", i.e. the way they move, just to make sure you're not making yourself overly comfortable.

4. Armorer

Armorer New Member

[FONT=&quot]Hi Gagimilo. I'd agree that it's possible to improve ones skills even if their sparring partner is not quite at their own perceived experience level and besides where is this absolute proof to show who is better than who?
    I'm not saying teaching credentials mean nothing by this. I take credentials seriously unless the person claiming to be a teacher starts saying things that I happen to know are not true or are only true a small part of the time.
    To me when I was sparring I considered myself to be learning to overcome my own mistakes rather than trying to defeat my opponent.
    Let me put it this way, when I first started sparring with sticks just about everything I did was riddled with mistakes. Over time gradually I made fewer errors however I was never free of all mistakes.
    In my opinion even if one is perceived to have been the winner of some type of sparring match they could probably still be criticized for taking too much time to do so or using their energy less efficiently than they could have.[/FONT]

5. Airyu

Airyu Junior Member

Hello All,

I have to agree that with less mature fighters ego bruising gets in the way of utilizing sparring to it fullest. Although that said, if a younger (less mature) fighter is sparring a more experienced practitioner, with the proper guidence (outside coach) it can dramaticaly improve their skill sets.

A trick I utilize when sparring with new people, is to reset them after they have been struck or guard seriously penetrated. This involves breaking down the mistake at a slower speed repeatedly until the student can then defend or recounter the attack. Generally helps in the soothing of ego!

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

6. Cuts and Bruises

Cuts and Bruises New Member

Sparring is not simply an exercise in technique. It is a tremendoous teaching tool. The use of sparring facilitates coping with elevated adrenaline levels, an uncooperative opponent and dealing with the pain of getting hit.

I feel that even players with a vast well of knowledge to draw from benefit from a little (fairly) hard contact sparring. My 12 year old son can land a shot that has even surprised our Guro, who has been playing eskrima for 30 or so years!

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Here's a nice gumdo/kenjutsu clip that I saw on MT that illustrates, I think, some of the sword skills one needs that are difficult to develop via sparring--namely, the timing to beat one's opponent to the cut, without having to engage sword-to-sword:

[yt]qtHf5mBvKNc[/yt]