Sparring headgear...

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by yomitche, Mar 9, 2011.

1. yomitche

yomitche New Member

Hello all!
    Just wondering what experiences other folks have had with different types of headgear. The WEKAF style headgear moves all OVER the place... I have noticed lots of folks have adopted the fencing masks (ala Dog Brothers style), and I am wondering how safe, in place, reasonably visible, etc. the gear is...

Any comments? Thanks!

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I personally like fencing headgear with rattan sticks. Through the years though I have seen a few pretty nasty knockouts where the saber strength fencing mask caved in on the side. WEKAF is also good too for more protection.

3. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

I like the wekaf style helmet. It is heavy and it gets really hot but as long as you have the right fit it should not move around.
    I tried the fencing mask before for practice with rattan but did not like it. Maybe beacause i had a bad time (got abaniko'd on the back of the head and ear swelled up) and i guess it just makes me feel vulnerable. And maybe beacause i got used to the wekaf headgear. Visibility with the fencing mask was good and i was able to wear my glasses when sparring something hard to do with wekaf style helmet especially when its fitted.

4. sjansen

sjansen New Member

I use a lacose helmet. It protects the throat. I is well ventilated and you will not have to suffer any concusions.

5. TRI-NATIONS

TRI-NATIONS New Member

Can you guys refer me to a shop here in manila that makes a good quality head gear?? tnx..

6. LegendLoLo

LegendLoLo New Member

Why don't you locate shops in Divisoria specially 168 if you want it cheap.

Or try Toby's Sports Apparel in SM Marikina or any other sports utility on department stores.