Spamming

Discussion in 'Board Support Issues' started by nosyac, Sep 1, 2007.

1. nosyac

nosyac New Member

Administrators, Moderators and Support Groups. I received an email with this content:

Hello,
    I'm new here and just wanted to say "hi"

How's it going?

"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein

---
    buddha2
    http://two.xthost.info/buddha2

I hope that this spammers will not victimize any members of this forum. Thanks.

2. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Thanks for the report, and thanks for your input.

The user has already been banned for spamming.

- Carol Kaur -
    - FMATalk SuperMod -

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, thanks for letting us know!

Also, I've been getting spam via e-mail to the administrative account. If anyone gets spam e-mail that appears to come from/through FMATalk, please let us know! We don't send spam e-mail, but the system can be abused.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

4. 5tirosCamarin

5tirosCamarin Katulong Guro

I actually just got that Buddhism message. I was about to ask about it, then I saw that the first post in this thread addresses the very same message. The private message didn't show up in my inbox at FMAT, but it showed up in my email from FMAT. The username that sent it to me was "Stephanie"

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

6. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

The Buddhism spammers are hitting a large number of sites, and unfortunately there's no easy way to prevent them. Most methods available would also hurt legitimate users. Right now, as soon as we discover them, we are banning the offending accounts, and deleting the PM's they send out. The message is always the same, and so far I don't think anyone has figured out quite "why" they do this.

If you get these in the future, please PM me, Arni and Tim ASAP! and we'll shut these scum suckers down.

7. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Bob! Glad to see you back!