Some questions regarding Derobio Escrima...

Discussion in 'Pedoy's Derobio Escrima' started by amadeus, Jun 1, 2010.

1. amadeus

amadeus New Member

I have been looking to study Escrima for a long time now. Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that to do so I will have to go out of my way and travel to do so... In a few months I will be moving to Ft. Knox, KY and will probably train in a blended form of Escrima while I am there. Afterwards I will be moving to Ft. Stewart/Savannah, GA and tho it means I will have to travel a few hours regardless to study the art I intend to do so...

One possible choice and probably the closest is a Majapai Derobio Escrima school in Fernandina Beach, FL run by a Daniel Medina. I have 2 questions for those here and who know...

1) How does Majapai Derobio Escrima differ from other Escrima styles?

2) What are the strengths and weaknesses of the style compared to other styles?

3) Is Daniel Medina a good instructor?

Thanks in advance...

2. HC B. Jordan

HC B. Jordan New Member

Greetings Amadeus,

Thank you for your questions. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Master Brandon Jordan a senior student of GM Medina and the founder of my own system Mandala Mandirigma. Having been a student and close friend of GM Medina for nearly 20 years now let me say that in my humble opinion he is an excellent instructor and is very knowledgeable. I will do my best to answer your questions here as best as I can.

1) For both questions 1 and 2, I suggest reading this article on Majapai Derobio and drawing your own conclusions from there. http://www.fmadigest.com/Issues/special-editions.html
    2)
    3) To answer this question the best way to find out is to attend one of his classes, give him a call. He is very approachable and easy to talk to, and this way you get to draw your own impressions of him for yourself.

Speaking for myself I find him to be among the better instructors out there, diligently working to spread the name of Derobio in his own way and honoring the memory of his teacher, the late GGM Braulio Pedoy. Of course my opinion is subjective based on my personal relationship with him. But I think you will be highly impressed and if you decide to study with him you will learn a great deal. Hope this helps you out. GM Medina is also here on FMATalk under the avatar "Rapier". Drop him a pm and introduce yourself and go from there. Good luck!

Master Brandon Jordan

http://mandalamandirigma.com

3. amadeus

amadeus New Member

Thank you for the reply... I read the fmadigest articles and checked out some videos on youtube of the style and GM Medina. I was pleasantly surprised by some of what I saw such as the work with the long staff, something I never considered to be a part of escrima (based on my very limited knowledge). GM Medina is about 2 hours drive from where I'll be but I think I would be very interested in experiencing the art first hand and from the looks of what I've seen it might be worth the drive. When I'm nearing the end of Armor OBC and getting close to going out to Ft. Stewart I'll get in contact with GM Medina.

Thanks again...

4. hermz808

hermz808 New Member

Master Dan Medina trained under the GGM Braulio Pedoy. He used to live in Hawaii also. i seen photos of him with the Great Grand Master. you can also check him out in youtube if you did so already. my school is under the Derobio system too. my master Keoho also trained with GGM. My school is Kabayon Escrima located in Hawaii.