Slippery people

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Carol, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Forgive the gratuitous Talking Heads reference [​IMG]

Now that summer is here...ever have trouble sparring when its ninety-eleven degrees outside and you and your sparring parter are soaked in sweat?

How do you adapt to the conditions?

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Soaked in Sweat

I generally stop sparring and have a cold beer.

Best,

Steve

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

No, no! It's so important to see how your techniques fare in such conditions--sweaty, tired people swinging sticks or knives. I sweat profusely but see it as a learning opportunity. Try those knife disarms at 90 degrees! It's a good simulation of what could happen in a fight (be it due to sweat, rain, blood, or what-have-you).

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Oh come on and quit the whining about a little heat... I live in the sunny south pacific islands and the average temperature here is 85 degrees year round.. This is a true test as to how you are going to be able to handle yourself when the heat hits the fan and your opponent is slipperier than a greased pig due to the sweat.. This condition makes you work on your grip and target acquisition for disarms and traps if you are playing that way..
    But in this environment, you don't worry about the traps or disarms, you go straight for the best defensive counter that you can get to end the fight so you can go have a cold beer as indicated in an earlier post.

Just my .02 pesos

Bill

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I love the heat and the hotter the better when training. When training rigorously with resistant partner's it is good to see if you falter or if they do. If you falter then you can push yourself harder to ensure that it does not happen again.