Sitra Achra..?

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by grapp81, Jul 12, 2006.

1. grapp81

grapp81 Junior Member

Hi! im new in the forum and a student of the knife fighiting arts and knife culture.. Im from argentina ,were the Gauchos have a very important culture about the knife..

But in this case ,my interest is about a suposed Navaja fighitng method call SITRA ACHRA , i found this doing some internet researching about knife fighing methods etc.. the website is http://www.navaja.lv the curiuos is the spanish roots of this method ,but the teacher is a czech guy.. I dont know if something know anything about this art...i apreciate the data.

good bye!

ps: sorry if my english is bad..

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I don't know this method! I need an English version of the website.

I keep hearing about South African systems, most notably Piper.

3. grapp81

grapp81 Junior Member

it would be very interesting know more about this "piper" system...

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

There's been talk of it on Eskrima Digest, for example.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Piper (Seen on MT).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhpAsE8z6JI&NR

Looks to be big on distracting and controlling with the empty hand. From here:

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Don't rely on the videos that are on the piper website.. I suggest that you contact Lloyd and Nigel who are the moderators on the piper website for any questions that you have concerning the system.. When I was stateside, I had the opportunity to experience a little of the south african knife by a close acquaintance who lived in that region for a couple of years.. It is a system that I was really glad to get the introduction, but at no means am I an instructor of this system.. I would defer all questions to the above individuals if you really want a good understanding ( as much as you can get via keyboard Communications from active practitioners and guardians of the system..

Just my .02 Pesos

Bill
    Defensive Tactics Guam

7. 408kali

408kali New Member

The Sitra Achra website looks great. I was only able to check the pics but the graphics are nice, lots of pics, I plan to check the videos later on. Thanks for sharing!

I remember on fmaforum.org there was a thread about a Russian knife-fighting system that looked devastating. Come to think of it, I began looking up Russian knives. They look beautiful and well-made. If I can find that post I'll link it.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Was the Russian technique from Systema, or something else?

9. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I know a bit more about the Sitra Achra stuff, being that I spek Russian, since the site is in that language.
    Although the "organization" is based in the East Europe (Czech, Lithuania), they are doing the research and practice of what is commonly known as WMA, but in essence the fencinf influenced style of knife fighting. They are mostly focused on the Spanish tradition, but there are French and Italian influences as well.
    The articles portion of the site is very informative and containg loads of good stuff, too abd you guys cannot read it.
    Bah, maybe some day I will ahve enough time on my hands to translate some of that stuff and post it somewhere...
    BTW, baing an active practitioner of Russian Systema since 2000, I will gladly add my two cents on serrada's posts, once he gets back with those.

10. 408kali

408kali New Member

Hey gagimilo! Yes it WAS Systema that I saw. There were posts about it on the aforementioned site. Systema seems to get the respect from the guys on that site, something of an honour since they tend to closely scrutinize what they see.
    I personally like what I saw.
    When I think of systems worldwide that compare with Filipino knife-fighting I think of Systema.
    Is there any relation between Sitra Achra and Systema?
    And, where can you buy those cool Russian knives?!!!

Peace, ~John

11. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Hm, well... I'm not sure that systema would be the first thing I would compare FMA with. Namely, in Systema when working with knives, we tend to get in close and try digging deep and cutting as long rips as possible. There is not that much emphasis at trying o twork in a long range and work on the defanging. My guess is that it is due to the fact that in Russia winters are long and cold, so people dress heavily, thus quick cuts at wrist and forearms do not produce the disried effect.
    The similarity thoug is on the strong emphasis at moving fluently, but than again the manner of doing it is quite different. Well...to a certain degree. I mean, all truly great masters kinda look similar after a certain point.
    To my knowledge, Sitra Achra guy have nothing to do with Systema.
    With regards to buying those knives, I'll try finding some web sites in Russia, where you can do it online.

12. 408kali

408kali New Member

Sup g,

I should've mentioned that I have some training in knives, thru family.
    And when referring to the similarities, actually it's been awhile since I've seen pics or vids of Systema. Maybe it was the way I was taught is comparable. Admittedly I am a beginner. At any rate, I know I liked what I saw and am very interested in knife/blade-based systems.

Peace!

~John.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've seen some of the Systema videos...it's very fluid stuff!