Sinawali System?

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Oct 31, 2005.

1. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Sinawali

loki09789 asked about
    and
    and JohnJ responded by saying that
    He goes on to say that sinawali patterns can enhance one's understanding of espada y daga techiniques.

Something similar happens in the following clip (I keep posting this one on other threads because it shows foundational movement) wherein the initial 'non power' movement is (1) the right cross-body parry with the stick against the opponent’s initial daga thrust while (2) the counter daga thrust and (3) downward diagonal strike with the stick are the follow-ups (and there is also (4) a final thrust with the daga as you step forward, and (5) a gratuitious thrust with the stick).

http://northshoreac.com/san_miguel_eskrima/zig_zag_files/zig_zag_example.mpg

This isn’t exactly what JohnJ is talking about because his example assumes a cross body parry with the left-stick off the rear leg against the opponent’s right-hand stick thrust (followed by right-hand and left-hand diagonals). But the principle of non-power movements alternating with power movements is the same.

Best,

Steve Lamade

P.S. John - looking forward to that "Single Stick of Double Stick" DVD!

2. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Hi Steve,

That is a good example of the parry (point-up) and counter. The other version being would be to parry with the stick point-down.

Thanks for the video link. It's so much easier to show than to describe in writing.

John J

P.S. I am finishing up the script for my 3rd DVD. However, it will not be on Sinawali. The title will be "Defense Methods - Edge Weapon Awareness & Readiness"

3. loki09789

loki09789 -== Banned ==-

How would that vid clip be termed in 'siniwali' categories?

Does the Stick and Daggar motion ever get translated to stick and empty hand or empty hand and knife/empty hand period?

The powerful element IMO to siniwali practice is the translation of the pattern into different tactical applications. Of course that will require some tweaking to specificy things to fit the range, weapon nature (edged, striking, wt., stiffness...) along with skill and strength/stamina of the player.

I focus on Self Defense applications, so I don't really get bent out of shape if I don't 'master' any one particular weapon with a siniwali pattern as long as I 'master' the ability to adapt and flow with what ever is at hand.

If I can do Double Siniwali for example with a tire iron, broken bottel, rock, stick, empty hand, ....rope/belt, hands and feet.....as the application tools, then I feel more self defense prepared than if I master only one weapon with the pattern. Weapon specialization/mastery was a big deal when I was in the service, but that was a different point in my life. As an average Civvy now, I think it is more important to be skilled at adaptability than specialization.

4. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Very simple. The clip was in relation to my post regarding redonda. It demontrated one of the parries that can be used to position yourself for the follow up. As the opponents dagger is parried in right lead with the stick, a follow up thrust and strike is executed. This is an example of the 3-count redonda (whirlwind, circular) pattern of sinawali.

Yes. As mentioned, sinawali as a training tool is one of the best methods to improve coordination and ambidexterity. And to use both hands equally well is something to always aspire for especially in combat. Of course many of the movements can translate from weapons to empty-hands and it is not necessary to deviate much from what you are doing with the weapons as long as you understand the principles & strategies behind them.

IMO...stick & dagger is the highest form of double weaponry because a practitioner must thoroughly understand how to move in and out of all ranges while utilizing the appropriate weapon effectively whether for offense or defense. Further to this, one must be able to adapt the weapon useage. i.e. punyos in close range

Agreed. As one should always focus on combat application even if sport combat oriented. It is not about mastering a weapon or category or combinations nor is it all about patterns.

Refer to my second paragraph.

John J

5. loki09789

loki09789 -== Banned ==-

Good point about Stick and Dagger as a skills training device.

When I was in the service, training time was planned out over the course of a whole year. Because we were dealing with a perspective where individual skills, team skills, squad, platoon, and company size operations had to be planned; we usually started with considering the end goal. We would look at what the big (Company) training exercise was going to be first.

Once that was clarified, we would work backwards down to the individual skills. We would try to plan training so that the simulations and mini exercises would all require the same basic skills that needed to be in place for the end goal (Company Size Operation).

I like that you are viewing and teaching stick and dagger in an equivalent to the "Company Operation" and breaking out the 'individual' skills that have to be in place to be good at that end goal. That can be used as a common reference when you translate movements/tactics and applications from the Stick and Dagger to other weapons or applications.

6. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Quite often practitioners and even instructors fixate on movements/techniques without emphasis on principles, strategies and concepts. While they are quick to demonstrate these so-called skills, they end up lacking the knowledge to apply in scenarios outside the realm of drills etc.

Thanks for sharing your Military experiences and how it relates to training methods and progression.

John J

7. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing it.

Best,

Steve