Similarities of Pekiti Tirsia and Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by mi1990, Feb 14, 2011.

1. mi1990

mi1990 New Member

Is there any similarities of Muay Thai and Pekiti Tirsia or Filipino Martial Arts in general ?

2. I cannot speak for FMA in general but as far as PTK is concerned there is no apparent similarity (after the obvious fact that they are both martial). The emphasis in Muay Thai is on the use of the "8" limbs (elbows, knees, hands & feet), where as PTK primarily uses weapon attacks and counters. Even at the empty hand level there might be a (slight) similarity in the kicking application but the similarity is so slight and would have to be pointed out.

The only thread that I found that might tie them together is in the footwork and "stancing". The front leg skip kick in Muay Thai seems to have been based on a similar structure (the triangle) also used in PTK.

As the (non weighted) font leg "skips" back, the rear leg drives forward (on an angle, "taking off") to whip the kick to the inside of the thigh. The move seems to reflect a similar move found in PTK to explode into an attack or to evade one.

Other than that, apples and oranges.

The Thai weapon art of Krabi Krabong also has it's own signature and is also not similar to PTK.

3. punisher73

punisher73 Member

Modern Muay Thai is a sport and it's application is based on the rules of the ring.

Muay Boran, is somewhat making a comeback and retains it's self-defense roots. You will see limb destructions, throws, grappling etc. in it. Does it look like FMA? You will see some similarities if you are looking for them, but a different paradigm developed each one so their emphasis of strategy and weapons remains unique to both.

4. William

William Mongrel Combative Arts

I would say that there are some similarities between Muay Thai and Pekiti Tirsia. At first glance a person from either system may not initially see it, but if you have trained both it becomes more obvious IMO. Mainly I see some similarities in footwork, angling, power generation and certain striking mechanics (as a point of clarification, my focus in the Thai arts has been, for lack of a better term, "street/combat oriented", utilizing modern and "Old Style" as well as Krabi Krabong).

In Pekiti terms, Broken footwork, fluid 90 & 180 degree side stepping as well as take-off footwork, ranging, and waving in and out are all utilized. I would also say that in general the footwork is more wedged then a true 45 degree angle. Mainly to bring you in tighter for close range weapons like elbows, knees, and clinch work.

A couple of simple examples I'll throw out...

In a right lead facing an incoming right jab or cross: As the opponent bridges to throw the strikes, you essentially take-off on a left 45 (take-off/Cross step/Rear leg step-thru...). You obviously have to counter or cover the opponents strike as you bridge into close range on their weak side. Essentially you are doing a 180 degree side step on a 45. As your left foot lands and you torque the hip to load and deliver a left elbow to the head (or ribs depending on height). It's the same mechanic as say a 90 or 180 degree side step to the right or left and using the hip torque to deliver an angle one or two power strike. Think angle one to angle one Pasugat, take-off on a left 45 into a side-step with a horizontal double force. Essentially the same thing just with the open hand at a closer range.

Another example is a simple 1-2-3 or jab-cross-hook. Again from a right lead, the jab is thrown down the middle as you begin to bridge from long to close range...only the footwork is angling on the right 45 as the cross fires down my opponents centerline. So the 1-2 are going down the centerline as my body angles off on a right 45. Not 1-2 then in, rather it's bridging in with the 1-2 covering. As the cross (2) connects you are essentially off their centerline at their side. As my cross lands, I'm taking another short shuffle into a 180 degree side-step which cocks the hip and allows me to throw a short but powerful right hook (or elbow if your real tight) to the left side of the head/neck. The 1-2 gets their attention up and forward with their hands covering the head... leaving the side of the head and body vulnerable. Since that 180 pulls you into a broken stance with the heel of the left foot up and slightly unweighted you can shift and immediately throw a round knee on the low line. This could be thrown to the left side (from the same right lead) with a take-off as well, only beginning with a cross as you angle out on the left 45 followed by a cross down the middle... since you switched leads on the way in. Ends up being a cross-cross-180-hook. You would be surprised how well that throws people off.

This would also apply to aspects of the Mae Sowks in Krabi Krabong. It is a weapon that is utilized very much the same as the open hand component. Getting into the longer weapons/ranges is where KK and PTK differ more traditionally. Though, there are some similarities in closer range tight changes in direction... but to be honest, that may also be attributed more to me having trained in both. :)

I hope I wrote this clear enough to make it understandable, it's simpler then it sounds and would be much easier to demonstrate first hand.

I'm not saying that Muay Thai and Pekiti Tirsia are the same, only that there are some similar elements present. Seeing as Muay Thai originally descended from a weapon based system, it makes sense IMO.

Best regards,
    William

5. William

William Mongrel Combative Arts

I just wanted to add (seven months later :) ) that I do train my MT guys in the PTK footwork that I mentioned previously. Even my sport fighters who have been very successful with it. I didn't start out intentionally doing this but the similar elements made it easy, and other elements of PTK footwork made for very effective (obviously) counter-offensive movement. Essentially it makes the movement and angling much more crisp and evasive. Smooth fluid movements and angling combined with the raw power of MT makes for a very effective animal.

William