Silat Self-Defense

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by Kalifighter, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Kalifighter

Kalifighter New Member

Hello everyone, I have a question about Silat. What kind of self-defense techniques are taught in Silat? I wanted to know if the systems teach self-defense against grab attacks, hold attacks, Club attacks? Such as Bear hugs, frontal and rear chokes, Headlocks, lapel grabs ect... Thanks for any info...........

2. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Silat teaches all of the defenses that you afforementioned. These are usually taught after you have learned the basic defenses for punches, spearhands,roundhouse punches, and elbows. They work usually from the outside in i.e. sticks, punches, elbows and knees to holds. A good knowledge of footwork (lonkas) is preferable as they help in the downing of such attacks.

3. tellner

tellner New Member

That's a lot like asking "What defenses against these do Japanese, Korean and Okinawa martial arts have?"

The answer is "Just about anything you can imagine. Would you care to narrow it down to a few dozen styles or so?"

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, there are many variations of silat--it's a broad question!

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes there are many system's of Silat with many different answers. However, my experience in studying Silat would say that most have a healthy self defense aspect. (very healthy) [​IMG]

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

...and most expect you to be able to get looooooooooooooow!

7. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Back in the late 80s I was in Pdkr Paul de Thouars Bukti Negara class at the Inosanto Academy. He asked for a volunteer, then he volunteered me. :) Then he stood nose to nose with me and said "Do something."

A moment of satori for me.

For me, blending the silat into my Kali has been the way to go. As Arnisador noted, many systems like to cultivate the ability to go low. I'm 57 now and grew up with very American hips, so there is a limit to how low I'm like to functionally be able to go in this lifetime, but still I find tremendous merit in the angles and leverage that I have learned. Silat regularly appears in Dog Brothers Martial Arts, in particular in our "Die Less Often" material (the interface of gun, knife, and empty hand) and in our "Kali Tudo" (tm) material.

8. RETIRADA

RETIRADA New Member

Hi Kalifighter,

Based on my personal experience and current age (50) I stress my Silat training on conditioning my limbs with drills from Silat Cimande. The late Pendekar Suwanda taught various counters against holds, locks, etc. Very combative.

My current training is Cimande Silat and Kalis Ilustrisimo. Both simple and direct. I only train for self-preservation, nothing else.

Regards.

9. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I have found that Silat lends more to the self preservation principals as opposed to self defense moves. The principals are rock solid, simple motion chalked full of intent. One must remember that a lot of the Silat is steeped heavily in Islam and thus the practitioners roll their faith into their martial practice. The way they train, the time they train and who they train all can stem from their deen. They have fighting movement from their various positions in salat (prayer). Silat as we know it in the west doesn't adhere to these principles but in south east Asia they are very much a part of the every day life of a persilat.

A silat teacher has a double dilemma as well..he has to be able to decipher who is worthy and who is not...not all who come will be accepted. There may be initiations, questions etc. The mindset is as follows..As a muslim he believes that if he teaches to much to a student and that student hurts someone unjustly it is he (the teachers fault)..if he teaches the student to little and the student is injured it again is the teachers fault for not teaching him enough or well. In Indonesia and Malaysia this process of student acceptance is a very serious subject. If a prospective student is turned down he is told why and treated with respect, never a harsh word. If he is accepted then the games begin...and yes, going low will be a factor. I am 6'4" and 300 pounds..I love the harimau and love going low (and believe it or not can get belly to the floor low with effect)...where some find it painful i find it therapeutic..i love getting down there and stretching it out..things a popping and stretching...feels good...doing harimau is the best leg exercise I have ever done..I thoroughly enjoy it.

Silat = Salat...Mashallah!

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Kalifighter, you should give it a try and let us know what you think!

11. Joe Hubbard

Joe Hubbard New Member

Silat principles have some wonderful benefits for self defence, but many establihed systems end up holding their people back by being to placing too much emphasis on minutia.

Again, it is down to systems and who is teaching those systems that count the most. For instance, I had a Silat teacher who was asked why they used such low stances and his reply was, "We use these stances to dodge bullets." The scary thing was that nobody in the class seemed to think that answer was unacceptable except for me. Needless to say, that was my last class with him. Another Silat group that I trained with had people who had been studying their art between six months to a year who did not know how to strike or kick. No concrete reasons why other than the usual talk of how great their strikes will be when they are finally ready to throw strikes.

I have always loved the combative nature of Silat and woven it in to most of what I do.

Joe