Sikaran Web Sites?

Discussion in 'Sikaran' started by arnisador, May 18, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

There is so little Sikaran information available. Can anyone recommend useful web resources for it?

2. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

only those few mentioned in the sikaran fora
    there is little information out there even if many systems use some of the techniques in their systems

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I was afraid of that. What a pity! I'd like to know more. I expect to be at the Meet & Greet in August, so hopefully you'll be there and will let me pester you with stupid questions (as your son kindly did when he was in Buffalo).

4. Francisco Talle Jr.

Francisco Talle Jr. New Member

sikaran

As I know that master meliton is the only founder of sikaran but later when I scan thru internet I read some column about sikaran and I found out that theres sombody who is also a founder of sikaran.

Would you please help me know which of this person is the original founder of sikaran?

Thank you and more power!

ninoy

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm not sure anyone can do that, but commonly heard names in Sikaran include Geronimo and Lagarejos. See these threads:
    http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=125
    http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=47
    http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=136

See also post #2 in this thread.

6. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

Sikaran has been around a long time and it is only with in the last 60 years that the masters mentioned made it into a whole system and gave the name SIKARAN to a system regonised around the wold as a fighting system not just another segment of different systems
    I doubt there is any written word on who started the practice or when it was started in the islands. Those records ( I am afraid) would have to go a long, long ways back.

7. nero

nero New Member

Websites can be easily made, with it people can just post false information and will try to make you believe on their story. So don't put your whole trust over the internet especially to those regular websites.

There's only one way to find out the truth, go to Sikaran's Headquarter back in the Philippines where everything all started. =)

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Where is this HQ?

9. nero

nero New Member

I dont want to say this but.. please dont ask stupid question.

Ofcourse its in the Philippines. I dont want to say the right location since I havent been there. I dont want to post unsure information in here.

10. The Game

The Game Pain

I don't want to say this but.. please don't be a jerk.

If there is somehow a world headquarters for Sikaran, the idea that it "might" be in the PI is sound, but not necessarily correct. The headquarters for Modern Arnis for example has been in the United States for decades, as that is where the founder was. The fact that there were other organizations doesn't matter.

So, post proof or stop speculating.

11. nero

nero New Member

I don't want to say this but.. please dont make a fool out of yourself.

Im posting about Sikaran, not "Modern Arnis". If your saying that Im not correct, then where is Sikaran's Headquarters? (backfired ay?)

So, don't even try to speculate.

12. The Game

The Game Pain

I will leave the "making of fool" to others much more qualified than I, and much more willing to display such.

I am aware this is the Sikaran area, and that the question was about Sikaran. I used Modern Arnis (another FMA art, in case you were not aware) as an example. An example is of course defined as " A similar case that constitutes a model or precedent". Therefore it applies.

As to where the Sikaran headquarters may be, I don't know.
    Which Sikaran group are you refering to? I know of several and their offshoots/spinoffs.

13. nero

nero New Member

The Main Sikaran Headquarters, not groups.

Should have read where the conversation started so you'll know what I was referring to.

14. The Game

The Game Pain

I did.
    So, who is in charge of the "Main" Sikaran HQ?

A google search on "sikaran world headquarters" turns up nothing.

I show Bong Jornelas as a Sikaran Grandmaster. That would place the WHQ in.....Michigan.

Then there is Jethrogil Balicao who has Sikaran-Jitsu Arnis de Abanico, with the HQ in Mandaue City/ Philippines.

Then there is the "World Sikaran Arnis Brotherhood Of the Philippines"
    HQ is reportedly at [SIZE=-1]No. 20 Katipunan St., Barangay San Jose, Baras[/SIZE]

Oh and there is Lagarejos' Sikaran International: HQ in San Mateo, CA.

Dozens more. So. Which. Sikaran. Are. You. Looking. For?

15. nero

nero New Member

GM Col. Meliton C. Geronimo is encharge.

Do you know what Sikaran is? Have you been in the Philippines? Are you involved with Sikaran? Seems like you dont have any idea.

16. The Game

The Game Pain

He is?
    Do these other guys know?

Hmm...Do I know what Sikaran is?
    Yes - http://www.martialtalk.net/wiki/index.php/Sikaran

Have I been to the PI?
    Nope. That has nothing to do with if I'm qualified to talk about it.

Am I involved with it?
    That depends. Define "Involved"

Maybe my view is wider and more open minded than yours.

17. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

If someone could indulge me for a moment because I admittedly don't know anything about Sikaran...but was just exposed to this fabulous art over the weekend.

I always thought "headquarters" was something associated with an association or organization, not so much an art...which is always greater than the associations within it.

What is the name of the group that is headquartered in the PI and do they have contact information?

Thanks very much!

Carol

18. nero

nero New Member

Good job, yes you are. (hand clapping) Goodluck

19. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

I'm confused too, in that I've seen 3 different versions of Sikaran, all that traced back to different individuals/families in the PI. Other than the Wiki and Martialpedia entries, I've found little on the art, its variations or it's players online.

20. nero

nero New Member

Its hard to find facts about Sikaran over the internet. Sikaran is a filipino martial arts and you can find true facts by going to the source which is in the Philippines. People might disagree about that idea but, can you really trust information over the internet now a days? Nothing personal but I know some people who pose themselves as Sikaran GrandMaster but in reality they are not. Sikaran is based on the Philippines. Filipino from foreign country's cant claim master over it if they are not even recognized in the source itself.