Short range power.

Discussion in 'General' started by geezer, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Killbot

Killbot Sereeus Biznus

Excatly what we do. Our short range is mostly grappling(chokes, locks and throws), clinch strikes (dirty boxing, elbows and knees) and punyo strikes. All delivered in a direct manner. Once we're in close, we don't use angles as much and we try to overwhelm the oppponent with flurries and momentum until they back up or out and we CAN use a normal strike or we ground them. Whe they back stright up, we follow at an angle and then come back in straight.

2. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Short rang power can be manifested in many ways. The shoulder and torso control is key. You can also employ turn steps, short lutangs, and bumps to gain the needed room. I also teach my people to slide into the centro position with the weapon as well thus cutting down the room needed. If we are talking knife then power in the extreme close range isn't as viable, rather the ability to put it on target, it is a knife what ever it touches it will destroy. Personally I feel that close range should be coveted only as a coup de grace..hurt him at distance finish him in close....terrace what is offered. In this way it will matter not, he is but a sack of potatoes on his way to the ground.

3. Ryno

Ryno New Member

We tend to just force the space needed, by checking our opponents, keeping them at a good distance to be able to smack hard. A bit of leaning can help to avoid getting jammed up as well.

When possible, I like to check my opponent in the face, which the WEKAF folks just hate. If possible, I sometimes do it with a closed fist. ;) Knock them back, maintain space, level them with a big #1. Fun fun.

4. Rapier

Rapier RHC

Oh and don't forget to use head butts, or just using your checking hand to drive them into the ground,up rooting and sweeping them. I like grabing the head and pushing them in the dirrection you want them to go. also using the sagang sa gawas and sagang sa sulud to make openings

5. geezer

geezer Member

A couple of things. First, maybe you could translate "sagang sa gawaa... salud" for me. Those are terms we do not use.

Secondly, I like what you have to say about using checking to redirect and/or uproot your opponent, as well as grabbing and directing them by their head. One instructor I knew put it this way, "Where their head goes, their body follows... or if it doesn't, they aren't problem any more!"

Finally, how much of this short power stuff do you incorporate into your rapier work? If nothing else, I would think that you'd have a hell of an effective "beat" to open up a line of attack. As an eskrima guy who is pretty new to rapier work, I'm always looking for for connections.

6. Rapier

Rapier RHC

Those terms that we use mean inside and outside fighting. The way I use it is to off balance and up root an opponent. If I block force to force I would put a few hits in, one of which would be to maneuver me from the inside to the outside or vice versa. Example you block an angle #1 a la contra or force to force. Block, check, hit the body knees, ribs etcetera and when you come back up to hit the elbow you use that strike to bring the arm up and over as you go under it to put you on the out side at the same time pulling their lead leg with you which makes them to have to use both hands to stop hitting the floor with their face, or if your on the outside and you want to change direction and go to their inside always trying to keep your opponent off balance and confused as to what you are going to do next. As far as rapier work I like to use a case of rapiers (that’s 2 Rapiers in our lingo) as that lets me use the ability of being ambidextrous as well as the rapier and dagger as this lets me use the checking that we practice so much in Escrima which enables me to control my opponent’s weapons.