Sherlock Holmes: Martial Artist.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by arnisador, Sep 4, 2009.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Sherlock Holmes: Martial Artist

The star of the coming movie about the famed detective talks about giving the role a fresh spin

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I think this movie might be a lot of fun!

3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I am almost finished up with the complete works of Sherlock Holmes as we speak. There are one or two times that Doyle has some extended action sequencing but they are right that it is certainly not often. A Study in Scarlet as well as Hound of the Baskervilles has longer such sequences but the rest of the stories seem to be about 10 - 15 pages or less in total. Watson, through Doyle does make repeated statements about Holmes' athleticism in such sports as Boxing and Fencing. In addition, Holmes himself makes a statement about skill in Bartitsu. However, the boxing comes up far more often than anything else which would suggest far less skill in Bartistu than mastery.

As a side note, there is a fantastic new Holmes novel called something along the lines of Dust and Shadow which is written very much in the style of Doyle and details the chase for Jack the Ripper. There are longer action sequences in that particular novel but very few and far between.

If the movie is done well it could be fantastic. Unfortunately they probably screwed it up.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've read all the Sherlock Holmes stories and want to see the movie! I didn't know about the Jack the Ripper book--sounds interesting.

5. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I highly recommend it.