serrada

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by snake, Jul 1, 2008.

1. snake

snake New Member

how many official instructors from angel cabalas himself are still about.they are hard to find.i wonder why this is.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

How many separate organizations are there that came out after his passing?

3. geezer

geezer Member

While you're at it, what do you mean by official? Would that mean certified by GGM Cabales himself? Or, certified by one of his acknowledged instructors? How do you classify his highly skilled students and instructors that, with or without a certificate, have since gone off in a distinct and different direction? Would this describe Dentoy Revillar? Where does Inayan Eskrima fit in? And, for rebels, how about Rene Latosa? There are so many that have been impacted by GGM Cabales. But can any system survive unchanged when a great master passes? For that matter, did Angel precisely and "officially" pass on the teachings of his teachers, Dizon and others? It's a tough question.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Did he have a means of formally certifying students as instructors?

5. geezer

geezer Member

Heck if I know! Them questions above...they ain't all rhetorical. But I think somebody deep into Serrada posted something about that a while back. Maybe they are still out there...watching as we post...

6. nash

nash New Member

I know that Anthony Davis is certified to teach by Angle Cabales. From him I only know of Edward Bansuelo that has anything to do with teaching Serrada.

7. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

GM Davis was trained directly by GGM Angel Cabales, heck GM Robert Castro ( Eskabo Daan) first knowledge of Filipino martial arts first came from GM Anthony Davis, later he got his first rank from GM Davis, later GM Castro got his GM promotion thru GGM Ernesto Presas by training in Kombatan later after he had learned from GM Davis. GM Anthony Davis knows his Serrada well ! Now of course GM Davis has the credit of spreading Serrada escrima knowledge throughout Europe especially in Germany !

8. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

It seems to me that many of GM Cabales' students are instructors and masters/grandmasters in their own right.

Kahlid Kahn, Darren Tibon, Wade Davis, Carlito Bonjoc, Mike Inay, Anthony Davis, and many more...of course, one cannot discount GM Vincent Cabales. I do not profess to know all the Serrada players/practioners and hope I do not offend anyone by not having mentioned them.

GM Cabales and Serrada will forever be a pillar in the FMA community.

9. Epa

Epa Member

I am not a Serrada player, but my understanding was that GM Cabales had a ranking system based on three levels: basic instructor, advanced instructor, and master. I don't think this system was in place from the beginning and I'm not really sure when he started using a ranking system. So there might be skilled students in the older generation that never received formal certification.

According to Wiley's Serrada book, there are only 16 officially certified masters of the art, but there are probably a lot more advanced and basic instructors (he didn't have a list of those). I know a lot of people have questioned Wiley's books in the past so if any Serrada people can shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I only met him at one weekend-long seminar, but it was small enough that i was able to interact with him quite a bit. He was great!

11. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

That statement right there speaks alot to some of the problems in the idea of "officially ranked" individuals... From my understanding, Manong Angel did not use a ranking system in his early days of teaching and so his early students did not receive ranking as his later ones did. Which of course means nothing when it comes to skill level and understanding the art...

-wes tasker

12. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Unless one is officially ranked by the Serada Association of Rankings, Certifications, and Organizations (not to be confused with the Serada Organization of Rankings, Certifications, and Associations, which does actually rank, but merely certifies, and refuses to associate with other members - unless they agree to organize), then how can you claim to be a legitimate Serada teacher?

All those who claim otherwise are frauds and liars.

Best,

Steve

13. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

Fine..... Be that way. I'm taking my short stick and going home :)...

-wes tasker

14. caloy925

caloy925 New Member

according to Master Wiley's book there are only 16 master, this is incorrect the one left out is Master Stanley Wells. Who by the way is certified because i have seen his diploma myself and can confirm to him being a Master. Also as far as far as official instructors go do you mean by GrandMaster Angel Cabales Certified or what?