Serrada

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by nash, Jan 15, 2007.

?

Should we dedicate an area to Serrada and it's spin of arts?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2007.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nash

nash New Member

Since there is no dedicated area to the art of Serrada, I wanted to get info from everybody about what they know and see if maybe we can get an area set up dedicated to this art and it's spin-off's.

2. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

There are many player out there!
    If you check the Cabales site as well as the Mike Inay family site are still active!
    Of cource there is also Anthony Davis & J.C. Cabriero & others!
    To make a spin off what is --is not to sound but functional!
    Many have tried to make up arts & few are successfull!
    Bruce Lee was one of those!
    You have to have a strong foundation-good history of teachers-& a way for people to advance or be promoted!
    The art could have a close range name like scrimage!
    Or even Pluma de arnis!
    There are many names but you will run into many who apose it as it is new!

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

If interest in and discussion of the art develops here we will certainly add an area for it!

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

4. nash

nash New Member

What I mean by spin off is an art that incorporates it into there own and give it lots of credit. Sigung Ed Bansuelo, AGM of Kabaroan Escrima teaches a style called Karakenpo Escrima where he incorporates Serrada and Kababroan Escrima into the style. He gives Serrada and Kabaroan a lot of credit for what you do. I do not know of many others that incorporate Serrada into the style, but I would like to learn about them.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  5. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

There are houndres of them!
    If you get a cnace to ask Ernesto Presas what he would do life or death!
    Serrada was the answer!
    Grandmaster has a great espada y daga -crossada-lock n block drills!
    many follow what Ernesto teaches --as it has a foundation-history-formate ect!
    some how ever just got basics from Angel & from that they think it gave them the right to teach!
    Their certificates stated advanced!But in serrada that ment basic!
    For instructors it stated such with many photos of Angel aroun the outside of the certificate!
    Yet these people with little training got some have some fame so they profess their are top!
    That is another problem that even went back to the old shaolin temple days!

6. nash

nash New Member

Well the one person I know that knows Serrada learned from Anthony Davis. I don't know if he recieved an instructor certificate, but he just incorporates what he knows into a style that he mixed together.

7. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Anthony is great & certified full by Angel!

8. 408kali

408kali New Member

I'm a student (beginner) of Eskrima Serrada from the San Jose, CA area... peep my profile for details. Basically I studied a family system of modified Inayan Serrada and currently a student of IESA. Serrada is my foundation.

There SHOULD be a section dedicated to Eskrima Serrada, why hasn't it happened yet?!!

Angel Cabales' system and presence was a major factor in popularizing Filipino Martial Arts worldwide. Serrada practitioners continue to grow literally all over the world...

9. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Sure. I wouldn't mind learning more about the art.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

If there's interest then we would be happy to do so! Usually we wait until we see several threads about a particular art or subject before we start a new section.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

11. Brock

Brock Asha'man

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It would be nice to see some examples of serrada-specific threads that could populate such a forum, yes!

13. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

I for one would like to have a Serrada specific forum as that would allow for the exchange of information with respect to the differences in offense (if any) and defense (I'm sure there are a few).

I can think of a few topics that I'll post in the General FMA forum (after a search, of course!).

14. 408kali

408kali New Member

Right on! I am hyped on learning more about the spinoffs from (what I'm guessing this section would be dedicated to) Cabales Serrada Eskrima.

I'm interested in who is currently teaching vs. other systems that focus on medio/corto (Serrada) range.

Also I asked why hasn't it happened yet kinda sarcastically :p I love the art but I'm a joker too! I do hope that in the future there will be a section dedicated to the world of Serrada. There really are many players but alot of them are backyard players for one reason or another. My guess is that there are so many splinter groups. Not all instructors can afford a school per se. Also being familiar with the Inayan Serrada system I can say that many instructors aren't willing to pay the cost of insurance that comes along with using hardwood sticks which is a common trait of the old Inayan Serrada.

Just my 2 cents :)

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

How can I resist this much enthusiasm?
    Serrada Forum

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Moved to the Serrada forum. I've moved several other threads over too.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

17. pahhhoul

pahhhoul New Member

it is however unfortunate that Serrada masters have yet to unify (I say yet hoping that someday it could happen). As time goes by people tend to walk different paths. Hence the outcome of todays separated families within the FMA. Some though are unifying and I hope that others will follow till we are all one big family........
    to quote Bruce Lee who was quoting Confucius:
    "I mean I don't want to sound like ask Confucius, sayyyyyy--(joking) but under the sky, under the heaven, man, there is but one family. it just so happens that people are different.
    "

18. Charlie

Charlie New Member

I think the lines have been drawn and to much bad blood for everyone to unify theres bad blood between the students of students.