Serrada Lock and Block drills

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by jwinch2, May 2, 2010.

1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Hello all,

There isn't enough going on around here lately so I thought I would start some conversation...

I am curious about drills in Serrada known as Lock and Block. I am hopeful that someone can give me a good rundown of the purpose of the drills, how they came about, and what the mindset is supposed to be while performing them, and what the translation of the movements to a practical setting might be.

Just so we are on the same page, here are some examples of what I am referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVg8bBn7zdw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XZ5XoMarLM&feature=related

Here is a link to a vid I found on the Inayan forum about lock and block which contains a very interesting but unfortunately short description of the purpose of the drills. Since I have never trained Serrada, I have no way of knowing the accuracy of the explanation at hand. That's why i'm asking you! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtKUV-4Iv3M&feature=player_embedded

I am quite curious to learn more about the purpose of these drills and how they are applied. I welcome all Serrada players or those familiar with the system and drills to chime in. Hopefully we can generate some good discussion and I can actually learn a thing or two in the process.

Cheers all!

Jason

2. tkdbadass

tkdbadass New Member

I learned lock and block through the Bahala na multi-system style. Ill see if I can't get you an official answer.

3. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

If done properly-lock and block develops many necessary attributes and skills (confidence, timing, speed, control, sensitivity, etc). For as many benefits as it may have, it has an equal number of detriments that some can fall victim to.

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Nice. I will look forward to it.

5. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

That's true of all drills, e.g. "sumbrada," "tapping," "5-8-9" etc. How many times, for example, do people try an "inside sweep" in sparring and then conclude that training the inside sweep is a waste of time because it "doesn't work." But rather than to conclude that "drills don't work" I think that the next real step in training is to isolate the specific movements and determine how to train them so they always work if they're done correctly. Often it's an attitudinal change as well as a technical change that makes the technique more realistic. Practicing an inside sweep as though your life depended on it (imagine your opponent swinging at you with a rebar, for example) does wonders for cleaning up your technique. An inside sweep that would cut a hand off if the technique were done with a machete, for example, is an inside sweep that would probably work better with a stick as well. This doesn't mean that you have to go hard and fast all the time; it merely requires that you focus and maintain a corresponding appreciation for what's realistic.

6. tkdbadass

tkdbadass New Member

Jason,
    Although hard to articulate in words as opposed to actually playing here it is:

1. What is the purpose of the drills?

To develop muscle reaction, eye and hand coordination, positioning but more so not to waste movement with fancy techniques. You will develop a sense standing in front of an opponent within arms reach and know when an attack is coming.

2. How did they come about?

this is necessary to learn to defend against a double weapon attacker at medium to close range. It is a Serrada based exercise. Serrada is a Visayan that Angel Cabales taught.

3. What is the mindset when doing them?

The defender is taught not to give up ground but to stay in the fight for the best position of not getting touched by the blade. Right foot and left foot leads are constantly floating back and forth.

The attacker practices his feed to improve his ability to sense an attack that has failed and must reconsider a secondary attack. Neither the attacker or defender should gain or lose ground in this drill.

I hope this helps

7. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks Robbie!

8. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Is anyone aware of a video depicting the application of the principles trained in Lock and Block? I really appreciate the responses so far...

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I know a clip of it has been posted here before...do you mean a full-length instructional DVD?

10. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Nope. I mean a video or short clip demonstrating the principles of lock and block in a dynamic and practical application manner.

Sorry for the confusion.

11. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Mr. Ron Saturno weighs in.

I just finished speaking with Ron Saturno in reference to the questions that I had regarding Serrada and the ideas behind and surrounding Lock and Block was one of the things I asked about. Please keep in mind that any mistakes here are mine and not his.

My understanding, based on the information I received from Mr. Saturno, is that Lock and Block is designed to put a beginning student in the worst possible position so that they can get used to the idea of attacks coming from both sides at the same time. From what I am told, this allows someone to get used to the idea of defending multiple weapons and the idea of hands and feet at the same time in order to help someone survive an initial barrage of attacks (e.g. the first couple of seconds of an attack). Once the initial barrage is dealt with, they could then use footwork to get to the outside rather than staying right there in front of their opponent. According to Mr. Saturno, this idea of getting outside being the goal of Lock and Block is often misunderstood as it was something that Angel Cabales did not explicitly teach particularly at the beginning or intermediate levels.

I am really glad that I was able to get this perspective on lock and block today as it is something which has confounded me for some time (e.g. why would I want to just stay there and take all of those shots...). As I suspected, it was a lack of understanding on my part of the intent of the drill. Now that I see the drill from the perspective of a sudden attack and being able to survive it long enough to enable to utilization of footwork to get to the outside, it makes much more sense.

The other perspective I was able to get on Lock and Block comes from Steve Klement of Inayan Eskrima. His response to my inquiry of standing there and not moving was "what if you are backed into a corner and there is no place to move. What do you do then?". That made perfect sense to me when I thought about it. Again, a lack of understanding on my part was creating the confusion. There seems to be a trend here...

Thanks again to Ron Saturno for his time and generosity. Also, thanks to Steve Klement for his knowledge and perspective. I appreciate it a great deal.