Serrada Empty Hand

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by jwinch2, Jun 13, 2010.

1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Any information on this? I have been looking for some video for examples of empty hand material out of the Serrada system. Since I have zero exposure to the art, I have no way of knowing what is out there and whether or not it would be representative or not. That's why I'm asking all of you!:laugh:

Anything to share?

I look forward to your responses...

2. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

There is a book with some of it by Anthony Davis. Can't give it my recommendation really, but it is available.

3. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Jimmy Tacosa also had some kadena de mano on his serrada dvds that were available.. I would google his name as I know he had them available in the site he had from Hawaii.. You might can try there..

4. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Take a look at some of Rene Latosa's stuff. He had a Cadena de Mano DVD in the past (Panther Publications or ESPY?) and his current website features a DVD on "Short Power." Mr. Latosa's early influences include Serrada so it stands to reason that this material is at least partly based in the art. I've always liked his no-BS approach to FMA's. If you do get the DVD let me know what you think.

Best,

Steve

5. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Does the Cadena de Mano stuff come from Serrada e.g. GM Cabales, or is that an influence from somewhere else? The reason I ask is that it was my understanding that the Latosa material was an amalgam of more than one system... I could be wrong on that so if I am, I apologize.

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

You should also look at the Kadena de Mano stuff from the Inayan Group.. Suro Mike Inay was heavily involved with serrada when he was studying with GM Cabales.. Inayan system also covers various other aspects of the fma.. Plus from what I understand, Suro Mike's program was taught to some law enforcement agencies over the years, so that kinda tips the scales in practicality

7. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks Bill. I will do that.

8. ctrinidude

ctrinidude New Member

FYI; I am still a novice at Serrada. Serrada (Davis/cabales)is one of four systems that is taught at the FMA school I go to. I've seen my instructer and his senior students demonstrate the stick and empty hand counters and to me it looks like the movements are almost identical. To my understanding serrada and cadena de mano come from two different people (Cabales and Max Sarmiento) but the two men taught underneath the same roof so I wouldn't be surprised if they influenced each other.

I found this video to mimick the serrada counters:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWrviw6M9Eo

9. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I just got off the phone with Mr. Ron Saturno who was very generous with his time and this is one of the questions that I asked him. Keep in mind that any mistakes in the information provided here are mine and not his.

From what I understand, GM Cabales did not talk a bunch about empty hand and much of it was kept relatively hidden. In addition, it is my understanding that many of GM Cabales' students were impressed with Max Sarmiento's Cadena de Mano and wanted to learn that empty hand system so that by the time Angel Cabales got around to teaching empty hand material, most of his students already had a perspective due to their interaction with GM Sarmiento and his system. With that in mind, it is my impression that the vast majority of empty hand work done by Serrada practitioners is an amalgam of Serrada and Cadena de Mano rather than Serrada alone.

Thanks again to Mr. Saturno who was incredibly generous with his time and knowledge today!

10. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

No sure...According to his website two of his earliest teachers were Angel Cabeles and Max Sarmiento. I (think I) also recall reading (a long time ago) that Mr. Latosa's earliest teachers were his father and uncles and that they were agricultural workers in central California. If his current system is an amalgram that's not necessarily a bad thing; it looks like he's teaching the material that feels comfortable to him.

I can't say that I know much beyond the little I've read and the videos that I looked at back in the mid-nineties. From what I recall the material was simple, direct, and practical.

Best,

Steve

11. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Im not a cert'd authority, so i can only speak of the little bit of exposure i received and remember. Serrada has its own "Cadena"; all the stick counters/movements/sequences taught for the 12 angles formally translate into open hand counters/movements/sequences for Serrrada Kadena. Sarmiento did certify some members of the early Cabales group; but Sarmiento's Kadena was not the same as Angel's Cadena. Sarmiento's Kadena is its own seperate system, and only a few were certified (master diploma) by him to teach it; one of whom was Jimmy Tacosa. Basic open hand eskrima can be found in the Tacosa dvds.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  12. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

I looked at a clip of Mr. Latosa teaching in Italy last year and the technique that he was showing looked a lot like a mix of cadena de mano and boxing with some center-line angling and checking theory applied as well. Nice stuff and certainly something that could be taken from or extrapolated to stick and blade work.

Funny thing is, I was working on something similar with my instructor just last week, i.e. filing down an incoming force from the outside and jamming the center from an outside angle. Whether it's called "Serrada" or whatever else the fundamental principles still apply.

Best,

Steve

13. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I agree Steve. There do seem to be several "universal" principles in FMA. Particularly when looking at empty hand material it seems.

14. Terrio

Terrio New Member

I have experience in Pangasinan Eskrima and Eskrima Serrads (about 7 years total with Grandmaster Ovalles & later Guro Muhammed Khan). I have experience in Tai Chi Chuan Yang (blue sash) and Shaolin Choy Li Fut Kung Fu (purple sash). I showed the Kung Fu instructors hoe to defend themselves against a sword, and showed them to go 6 to 8 inches away from the opponent and put one hand on the wrist holding the sword and counter with the other hand with a so choy (right hook) to the jaw. The instructors show their students this technique consistently. They let me practice Kuntao during the Kung Fu group session, and I blend very well with the other students using triangular foot work with their array of punches and kicks; I punch like they do but do low kicks. I am mostly Cebuano with 1/4 Amoy Chinese who were born in Cebu. I was born in Tampa, Florida with 90% of my genes of my father who was born in Ginatilan, Cebu. I am a Baha'i by faith. I got the Baha'i short obligatory prayer translation into Bisaya by the Regional Baha'i Council of the Visayas, and rewrote it word for word using the ancient Bisaya Script. All of this is just informative. God Bless You All. Daghang Salamat.

15. Charlie

Charlie New Member

From my experiance the empty hand points of Serrada Escrima are similer to some of that you find in Wing Chun I have practiced a little bit of Wing Chun and have seen the similaritys. But I do agree there are some things in all FMA's that are the same or almost the same.