Self-Defense TV.

Discussion in 'General' started by arnisador, Oct 1, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I just watched a show on The Outdoor Channel listed as Self-Defense TV (but which referred to itself as Personal Defense TV) that focuses on the use of a pistol for self-defense. (It plays as something of an NRA infomercial.) It appears to be a limited-run series. However, it also appears, from the opening sequence, that in future episodes it will include some use of knife and stick (as in this image of the host using a flashlight), as well as empty-hand methods and larger firearms.

A special pistol for anti-carjacking scenarios, Taurus’s “The Judge” .45 Colt/.410 revolver, is presented as a sort-of pistol/shotgun hybrid.

Massad Ayoob is featured; apparently, he is to be a regular. In the first episode he discusses safety at ATMs. The host, Tom Gresham, posts about the show here.

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Definately I will be checking this out when I can. Looks to be a pretty good program reguarding using a gun for personal self defense.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Meanwhile:
    Wis. lawmaker urges arming teachers

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I just watched the second episode. It discussed the shotgun primarily, in terms of its use at various ranges and its use indoors.

Massad Ayoob emphasized the importance of carrying two of everything--cell phones, wallets/billfolds, pistols, and so on. For pistols, he said, for example, that if you were with another person when an emergency happened, you could loan him a pistol and then have two friendly combatants in the fight rather than one. One thing he mentioned was folders. He pulled out and one-hand snap-opened two of them, one by the grip into a reverse grip and one by the (closed) blade into a forward grip on the back of the blade. He said he liked to carry one knife on his upper body and one on his lower body, in case one was hard to access; for example, he said, if he was reaching and crawling into a car to free someone, he might find it hard to reach one in his pants pocket but easy to reach one in his vest.

The show remains too gun-focused for me, but I do find some of it interesting.

5. dok

dok New Member

2?

2 wallets, 2 cell phones, 2 guns, 2 knives
    this adds up after a while ;P

I'd consider myself heavily armed if I carried 1 folder and 1 pistol
    the most important issue being reaching the weapons when they're needed... and as the vast majority of the time (for many people 100% of the time) neither of these armaments are needed - two pistols adds a hell of a lot of annoying weight and bulk

The hypothetical of loaning off a pistol to a friend in case of an all out gun fight seems a little bit out of a movie - but then I've never been in such a situation so it might be a bit presumptuous to say

6. Brian R. VanCise

If I take care of everything on my person and have extra magazines then I should have no need of two of everything. I could see having a spare in my car. It is not a bad idea but kinda is starting to go overboard in my opinion.

7. Brian R. VanCise

I am definately interested in seeing this series even if it is predominantly gun oriented!

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It seems unrealistic to me. He was wearing a multi-pocket vest, but he had two billfolds, two guns, two knives, two cell phones (one a combined phone/PDA), and perhaps other things. I couldn't function that way.

It is an interesting series, despite coming off like a gun ad in some ways. From the promo clips, it looks like knife, tactical flashlight, and empty-hand material is to come.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The third episode focuses on lights, for use in low-light conditions. They repeatedly emphasized that use of a gun in self-defense was very likely to be in a low-or-no-light situation.

Massad Ayoob discussed the importance of distractions and also side-stepping for close-in encounters. He showed in detail a draw-while-side-stepping technique that looked very much like a standard FMA step off at 45 degrees and control the attacking arm maneuver. Of course, there was also much detail about the draw--it's almost like watching an iaidoka! One thing I disliked is that when he discussed using this idea against a close-in opponent with an Uzi (yes, Uzi), he said as he did the technique "Yes sir, let me get my wallet" as he reached for his gun as though he was reaching for a wallet. The misdirection is a good idea if you decide to do this, but if someone is close to you with a Uzi and only wants your wallet, trying to pull your sidearm seems an inadvisable idea.

The comparison between pistolry and iaido really struck me this episode--the detailed nature of the draws, with multiple components to the move, the variety of options, and so on. Massad Ayoob demonstrated clearing the jacket to access the weapon by putting the fingers on the centerline first and drawing them around the body to the pistol. I imagined how this would look to a samurai who wasn't familiar with our clothing and the situations in which the weapon might be used--he would say, Why must you touch your stomach area first? I'll take that feeling with me when I next see an iaido kata and wonder why they do a certain seemingly unneeded motion. Many types of draws were shown for certain weapons or situations--also reminescent of iaido. At the end, someone demonstrated techniques for clearing a jam that involved whacking the base of the grip with your hand, then pulling back the slide in a practiced, clean motion. Again, doing it "in the air" might look senseless, but in context it makes a lot of sense. I enjoyed thinking about these similarities!

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The fourth episode focused on training unexperienced shooters and bringing them up to speed quickly. The main focus was on a couple that learned the basics of self-defense pistolry quickly, including using their guns in a mock bar on their first visit to the training site.

Massad Ayoob emphasized the importance of calling 911 and getting to a safe spot, and the folly of thinking that having a pistol makes you a SWAT team.

Interesting, but as a FMAer there was really nothing specific to my interests.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The fourth episode discussed drawing and moving--getting the gun out and not being a stationary target. A particular style of moving backward was demonstrated. Drawing techniques and footwork, posture and awareness--once again, the parallel to edged weapons is striking! The fact that your opponent can move forward more rapidly than you can move backward was emphasized. As always, the defender used his voice to issue commands such as "Stop!" to the attacker.

Massad Ayoob discussed weapon retention in the context of "commonality" of techniques and training. He showed a person attempting to take his holstered pistol from directly behind him, and used a "pin and spin" approach wherein he first grabbed and pinned the opponent's hand, then spun around to face him while executing a wrist lock. From there he could execute a disarm. He then demonstrated variations of that, against a successful grab of the gun, against a pick-pocket, and against a harassment attempt (wherein he recounted a story involving his daughter, whom he trained).

Flashlights in low-light conditions were also briefly addressed again. This time a flashlight with a ring for retention was shown.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The fifth episode focused on different types of ammunition, for both handguns and long guns (rifles and shotguns). Issues included the possibility of a round exiting one's house and injuring a bystander, rounds that fragment in the body, and the possible benefits of noise. Holster types for concealed carry were also discussed.

Massad Ayoob discussed the use of flashlights. He started by talking about the benefits of temporarily blinding your opponent, then the use of a small flashlight as a fist load or striking implement, palm stick style. He then used a larger flashlight and disparaged the by now classic pose of the flashlight being over the shoulder and used to strike a downward blow to the head, saying it was easy to detect and to block, and it may be lethal if it strikes the head. He promoted holding it tonfa-style ("civilian position") and using the flashlight-on-forearm to block an opponent's strike, hopefully breaking the arm. As in all segments of the show, attention was paid to defending oneself in a way that would minimize legal ramifications for the person being attacked; as usual, Mr. Ayoob also emphasized LEO concerns such as the need to restrain without causing significant injury. Disarms and locks were shown, and he mentioned by name "Filipino eskrima or kali" and "defang the snake" for striking with the flashlight held in the usual grip ("police position").

That made it a good episode for me!

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The sixth (I think?) episode discussed how to select a handgun, rifle, or shotgun for home arsenal /personal defense. Issues of stature and strength of the user, as well as the type of weapon, were discussed. The 1911 came up often. As usual, the host emphasized the fact that the the shotgun must, contrary to popular belief, be aimed. Tasers, flashlights, cellphones, walking canes, and knives were briefly addressed. One thing that was new to me was the idea of a gun in a holster that was designed to be put on quickly--the holster itself went onto a belt quickly and easily for being carried in an emergency.

Massad Ayoob demonstrated a small gun that could be held concealed in a pocket holster in a pants pocket (a S&W snub-nosed .38, IIUC). He used it with his weak hand, and emphasized its surprise capability.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Episode seven focused on techniques for clearing a house. There was a lot of discussion of how to open a door. They did emphasize that it was best to retreat to a safe room and make a cell phone call if possible, but stated that it might not be viable if a person needed to protect others in the house. Once again it was stated that in some cases rifle rounds are less likely to penetrate a wall in a house (and hence injure an unintended party) than handgun rounds are, depending on the weapon.

Massad Ayoob discussed what happens in the aftermath of a self-defense shooting and how to deal with law enforcement officers arriving on the scene--what to say, the importance of being the one to call the police, and so on.

A sequence at the end discussed shooting rom the ground, on one's back or side. I noticed that whereas in unarmed self-defense we often keep our feet between ourselves and the attacker, ehre he cleared them to the side (presumably to insure he wouldn't shoot his own toes off).

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Episode eight focused on what host Tom Gresham described as the three stages of combat or the "Three Fights" concept: That one must first prepare for the fight; then, if it should occur, engage in the actual conflict (combat); then, deal with the aftermath. Rob Pincus of the Valhalla Training Center (a regular on the show) discussed preparation in particular and the Three Fights concept more generally, including discussing the difference between being a shooter and being prepared to use that skill in a defensive situation. He cited the concepts of Blauer Tactical System's SPEAR system. He credited the Three Fights approach to Tony Blauer and stated that he is certified in the system. The discussion was intercut with brief scenes of him training a woman (herself an assault victim) in empty-hand self-defense that could have been a JKD variant (elbows, knees, and eye gouges, including on a BOB). He mentioned many aspects of the aftermath of a conflict: Legal, medical, financial, and so on. A person identified as a former military special operator discussed clearing a house in Iraq when a flash grenade (I believe) failed to work, as part of the emphasis on utilising instinctual reactions vs. training for desirable reactions.

Dick Metcalf, also a series regular, discussed and recommended Kimber Manufacturing's new pepper spray device ("Guardian Angel"). It is not aerosol-powered; a pyrotechnic charge launches the cayenne pepper extract.

Massas Ayoob talked about how to position yourself to be safe when using an elevator or a flight of stairs. He stated that it was best to stand near the alarm button on an elevator--not just in order to use it, but to dissuade others from attacking should they notice your proximity and easy access to it. For reasons of balcne he suggested taking the stairs two-at-a-time to give yourself a good base if you need to change directions.

Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch Inc., yet another series regular, discussed using a pistol at close range, where the opponent may attempt to grab the weapon or otherwise grapple. He stated that one needed to move back and create space in such a case.

16. Brian R. VanCise

Nice updates on the shows! [​IMG]

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks! I watched the ninth episode tonight. The host focused on choosing a handgun for self-defense, with the discussion centered on revolvers vs. semi-automatics and also on concealed carry. The importance of getting training was emphasized. Dick Metcalf talked about the Blackhawk Gladius Flashlight, which among other things has a disconcerting strobe light option which I found quite interesting. Another segment discussed using a small flashlight and handgun together. Massad Ayoob's segment was about the risks in using convenience stores and how to minimize them, and what one can do if one is carrying a sidearm when a robbery begins.

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

On the topic of guns...

50 Shots Fired, and the Experts Offer a Theory

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The tenth episode focused on knives, for when a firearm cannot be carried. The importance of a good locking system on a folder was strongly emphasized. Eric Olds demonstrated basic use of the knife while repeatedly stating that training is necessary just as with a firearm. [SIZE=-1]("This is martial arts, really" the host mentioned in passing, and stated that a person could get martial arts training for knife use in many places.) [/SIZE]He also made the point that the knife was much deadlier than people realize. [SIZE=-1]Steve Tarani was mentioned in passing as an example of someone very good with a knife and that he was trained in Indonesian systems. The 21' foot rule was discussed in the context of defending against a knife using a firearm. A robot ("Guido") that looks more-or-less like a BOB on a Segway (and that has been used in previous episodes) was used for some of the demonstrations.

[/SIZE]Massad Ayoob talked about the history of the Gunsite Academy. He told one detailed story about a training scenario involving a person hiding in the back seat of a car, unnoticed, and gave advice on preventing this sort of surprise attack.

Another segment discussed shotguns for home defense. A police trainer recommended a pump shotgun. As usual, it was stated that the belief that a shotgun need not be aimed is false, and that one must be concerned about overpenetration (bullets going through walls and possibly hurting innocent bystanders). In a final segment, the importance of checking that one's gun is loaded was discussed. The demonstrator stated that the two loudest sounds in the world are a gun that goes boom when it's supposed to go click, and a gun that goes click when it's supposed to go boom.

20. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I got behind on watching these but have kept taping them! The eleventh episode talked about the (Thompson) submachine gun. The host and the Gunsite Academy expert (Cory Trapp) agreed that this was probably not the best weapon for home defense, and that once again, as with the sawed-off shotgun which they also demonstrated this episode, it was a myth that such a weapon does not need to be aimed. Rifles were also discussed. Later, the two discussed noise suppressed ("silenced") weapons. One advantage was protecting one own's hearing; some devices also cover the muzzle flash. At the the end there was, again, a discussion of how to hold a pistol in one hand while holding a small tactical flashlight in the other. There are more techniques than one might think (again, a striking parallel for me to other weapons arts).

Massad Ayoob discussed how to answer your front door (from within the house) safely. The threat turned out to be a man with a knife in his left hand (the side on which this door opened).