Segway owner dies in......Segway accident

Discussion in 'The Den' started by Carol, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's...ironic.

3. Carol

It is. Segway is based about 20 minutes away from me, and the owner is a Brit who bought the company last year. Some local folks have speculated if the gentleman really knew how to use the product he owned. Cruel question to say on the day of the man's death....but they have a point....

4. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

They used to claim they were untippable. Heard Dubya managed to flip one though. I thought about getting one but was told they aren't street legal in NY.

5. Carol

He had an "Off Road" Segway (seriously) and was riding near a ravine....that doesn't sound like a good combination.

Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive because today I was hiking on a ravine and came across a rocky formation on the trail so hairy that I had to take off my backpack and (after padding the cameras) toss it over first, otherwise the slight size and balance differential would have been enough to send me in to the drink. :eek: Wouldn't have killed me...just would have put a "damper" on my day, so to speak. ;)

6. Carol

He had an "Off Road" Segway (seriously) and was riding near a ravine....that doesn't sound like a good combination.

Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive because today I was hiking on a ravine and came across a rocky formation on the trail so hairy that I had to take off my backpack and (after padding the cameras) toss it over first, otherwise the slight size and balance differential would have been enough to send me in to the drink. :eek: Wouldn't have killed me...just would have put a "damper" on my day, so to speak. ;)

7. William

William Mongrel Combative Arts

I saw that. RIP.

On a more uplifting note (related to the Segway).....

Search Youtube for: "10 mph Seattle to Boston". It's a fun movie about riding a Segway across the U.S., realizing dreams, perseverance, and meeting cool and unusual people across the country.

A fun hour and a half if you have the time to spare.

William