San Miguel

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by LT1325, Apr 26, 2008.

1. LT1325

LT1325 New Member

Hello,

I just recently began San Miguel and have been reading about its humble origin and technique.

The answer to my question that I haven't found; What is the progression/stages for the student in San Miguel?

I am mostly interested in empty hand because sadly in NY state you can't carry around much arms. I understand that most Filipino Arts are combative, and prefers to have a weapon at hand, but to tell you the truth... I most likely will not be carring a knife around because I am not looking for a fight, do not wish to carry the air of "fear" or gain respect with a knife, but if anything should happen I know how to defend my self properly with my hands from a knife if needed.
    (Filipino arts I found are the best for the agenda I have)

I'm I going in the right direction learning San Miguel? If so what are the stages?

Thanks for the help and tips...they are much appreciated.

-George

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Dear George,

It's been about a week since you've posted your questions. Hopefully the following will get the ball rolling and will encourage others to answer your questions as well. You should be aware that currently San Miguel Eskrima is taught under a few organizational umbrellas, including the Doce Pares Multi-Style System, and that curriculums may vary by organization. The description and training curriculum posted below follows the one developed by Tom Bisio's San Miguel Eskrima Association:

San Miguel Eskrima is a classical style of Filipino stick fighting. Students practice with rattan weapons and learn to use bladed weapons once they have internalized the basic principles of the art. Students also learn a body mechanic that is effective for cutting and thrusting with a sword and thrusting with a dagger. The principles of San Miguel Eskrima can be adapted to a variety of ready-to-hand weapons, as well as to empty-hand fighting, thus making it a highly effective form of self-defense.

The San Miguel Eskrima curriculum is progressive and is taught systematically. The Level I Curriculum takes about one year to complete. It introduces the student to the basics of the San Miguel Eskrima system. Emphasis is placed upon learning the correct body mechanics, timing, and distancing that are needed to execute striking patterns with power and accuracy. Class time is equally divided between practicing solo forms that teach endurance and refined strength, and two-person exercises that develop practical self-defense skills.

Training for Level I students includes the following:
    • Angles of Attack and Striking Patterns
    • Counters to the Angles of Attack
    • The San Miguel Form
    • Single Stick
    • Dos Armas (Double Stick)
    • Espada y Daga (Stick and Dagger)
    • Ananangkil (50 Inch Stick)
    • Bankaw (Spear)
    • Stick and Dagger Disarms
    • Combat Judo (Empty-Hand vs. Knife)
    • Rapier and Dagger
    Training for Level II students includes the following:
    • Counters to the Angles of Attack (complete)
    • The San Miguel Form (complete)
    • Dos Armas Two Person Drills
    • Espada y Daga Two Person Drills
    • Espada y Daga Drills - Flowing
    • Advanced Ananangkil Two Person Drills
    • Stick and Dagger Disarms (complete)
    • Combat Judo (Empty-Hand vs. Knife)
    • Empty-Hand Self-Defense
    • Rapier and Dagger Two Person Drills
    • Single Stick Disarming
    • Unarmed Disarms against Stick (complete)
    • Counters to Stick Grabs
    Training for Level III students includes the following:
    • Bankaw (Spear) Form
    • Bankaw Two-Person Form
    • San Miguel Form - Dos Armas
    • Espada y Daga Drills (Complete)
    • Palusot (Complete)
    • Advanced Stick and Dagger Disarms
    • Circle & Cross Form
    • Combat Judo Two Person Form
    • Advanced Rapier and Dagger Two Person Drills
    Training for the Instructor Curriculum includes the following:
    • Original Version of the San Miguel Form
    • Advanced Form #1 - Bridging Form
    • Circle & Cross Form - Dos Armas
    • Balla Balla Redondo 1-4 (complete)
    • Advanced Stick and Dagger Disarms (Complete)
    • Free-Style Palusot
    • Bullwhip
    • Rapier and Buckler or Target
    Training for the Advanced Instructor Curriculum includes the following:
    • Advanced Form #2
    • Advanced Form #3
    • Cadena (Chain)
    • Throwing Knife
    As you can see, empty hand applications begin at Level I (Combat Judo or empty hand vs. knife) and continue at Level II (empty hand applications taken from espada y daga training). In essence, learning footwork and body mechanics is the foundation for empty hand skills in this art.

Best,

Steve

3. LT1325

LT1325 New Member

Thanks Steve,

Seeing it on paper helps a lot ... basically, to give me vision with what I need to do.

4. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

to give my opinion my frend. is to explore on different FMA that is sought the best of your interest learning san miguel is fine but if you want to learn empty hand technique FMA style I suggest to check the Cacoy Doce pares Hdqr. they teach the filipino emty hands calle pangamot with throws, locks, assault and disarming of the opponent. I'm also a pangamot practitioner and a native of cebu the root of doce pares. I can attest to that as the product of Cacoy doce pares. check it out www.cacoydocepares.com

5. ariscanete

ariscanete New Member

LT1325. I have been observing and take some notes of fighting styles of other group like Balintawak and Modern Arnis aside from Doce Pares. Since you want to learn empty hands skills then go for Doce Pares. Why? Doce Pares doesn't have just empty hands techniques but also some foot work as well.... incorporating some Judo techniques in Eskrima.