San Miguel Eskrima in New Jersey

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by BayaniWarrior, Jul 20, 2009.

1. BayaniWarrior

BayaniWarrior New Member

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a San Miguel Eskrima (Momoy Canete style) in New Jersey. I am interested in furthering my knowledge of stick and dagger work and I feel San Miguel Eskrima is a good fit. If there are any training groups or even just practitioners in NJ that'd be fine as well.

Any help would be great thanks.

Respectfully,
    Mike

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Hey Mike,

Although I haven't heard of anyone teachng SME in New Jersey on a regular basis, I've heard that GM Dong Cuesta of PIMA studied with Momoy back in the day. He also hosts seminars with GM Diony Canete about once a year, as does Don Edwards of Integrated Martial Arts and Fitness.

All of the Doce Pares-based SME in the U.S. that I've heard of is on the west coast; I've been trying to organize a seminar with Albert Mendoza (a student of Edring Casio and Cano Canete) but so far I haven't received enough emails to justify having him come out to Suffolk County, Long Island.

I learned my SME from Tom Bisio, so if you're ever planning to come out to Long Island give me a shout.

Best,

Steve Lamade

3. BayaniWarrior

BayaniWarrior New Member

Is Tom Bisio still teaching? Also, are you a SME teacher?

-Mike

4. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Tom Bisio

Tom teaches SME - but only on an occasional basis. For example, he taught SME at the Saratoga Martial Arts Festival last year - but nothing since then. Tom has a regular Ba Gua class on Tuesday mornings, and teaches regular seminars on Ba Gua and Chinese medicine: www.tombisio.com

I'm an instructor under Tom and a member of the San Miguel Eskrima Association:

www.northshoreac.com

Best,

Steve

5. BayaniWarrior

BayaniWarrior New Member

I saw the promotional video on your site. Very informative!

In the future, if I can get to Long Island, I'll definitely give you a call.

Respectfully,
    Mike

6. strunk76

strunk76 New Member

San Miguel System of Eskrima, NMODE--DSG

Sorry, can't help you with NJ, but I am a student of Magtutudlo Ramon Rubia on the West Coast in the San Miguel System of Eskrima. Our curriculum is referred to as NMODE--DSG [Nong Momoy's Orihinal Disciples of Eskrima--Depensa Seguidas Group]. We invite you to check out our group on F a c e b o o k dot c o m to get a better idea about who we are and how we train in stick and dagger (among other areas of training) within the San Miguel System of Eskrima.

Regards,

Luis

7. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

Mike-

If you ever get the chance I would definitely try to get in touch with Steve for some training. I've worked with him a bunch both in our seminars comparing and contrasting San Miguel and Pekiti Tirsia Espada Y Daga, learning some San Miguel from him, and other things and I can say that his dedication to, understanding of, and ability in San Miguel Eskrima is exemplary and top notch....

If you ever get the chance to train with Steve you will not be dissapointed....

-wes tasker

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Well if your in NJ, I would recommend GM Dong Cuesta, although he teaches mainly Original Multi Style I am sure he has a good working knowledge of San Miguel too, you should pop along and have a chat with him.

Best regards

Pat

9. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

San Miguel Eskrima workshop in Greenlawn, N.Y.

Hey guys,

Just to repeat what I said above:

I'd be happy to facilitate a SME workship (2-3) hours with Albert Mendoza, a Doce Pares teacher from San Diego and a student of Edring Casio and Cano Canete, September 19 in Greenlawn, N.Y. Greenlawn is about 45 minutes east of NYC off the L.I.E.

P.M. if you're interested.

Best,

Steve

10. strunk76

strunk76 New Member

re: San Miguel Workshop

In between Casio and Kano, it's an apparently little-known fact that Albert has also trained under Magtutudlo Ramon Rubia in the San Miguel System of Eskrima, NMODE--DSG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK1ZC1sI3mY

It will be interesting to see how each expression of SME will be presented at the workshop.

11. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

See my post from yesterday morning. In my email conversations with Albert and subsequent meetings with one of his students, both have spoken highly of Ramon and his abilities, but I did not understand (as you indicate above) that Albert has been Ramon's student as well. Thank you for clarifying the issue.

Unfortunately I do not think a workshop is possible at this point as I have not received a sufficient number of calls or emails expressing an interest. Possibly this is just due to timing and the economy and distance relative to New York City. It's disappointing but as it turns out I had a minor schedule conflict develop for that day anyway so now it's been resolved one way or the other.

I've let Albert know that I'll be in San Diego next summer, and I'll probably drive up the coast to San Francisco, so perhaps we can meet up then and share what we know.

Best,

Steve

12. strunk76

strunk76 New Member

Re: Workshop

I am very sorry to read this. I was excitedly looking forward to the event on Albert's behalf as someone who knows him. It would make for an interesting "East-West connection" or even "reconnection," IMHO. Hopefully things change for the better between the tenative date and this writing. Maybe another arrangement for location due to the reasons above? The city or NJ? Just a thought.

As for your future trip to the Left Coast, driving up sounds like great fun.

Regards,

Luis