Sammy Franco info...???

Discussion in 'General' started by Waltyr, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Waltyr

Waltyr Member

Greetings to All,

I was wandering through the web (looking at anything FMA related) and the name of 'Sammy Franco' came up. I checked out his website, and saw some of his material posted on youtube. Wasn't sure about some of his knife defense that I saw on some of the youtube videos, but then again who am I to judge. Some of the techniques were two-handed grabs of the incoming weapon. Again, some of the techniques I wouldn't try but then again if one can train them and make them work for you, then kudos.
    Anyway, has anyone here had any exposure or had a training with him or with his system? Just looking for info or opinions on the matter.

Thanks,

W.v.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I know the name but have no personal experience with him!

3. tellner

tellner New Member

My only encounter with him was electronic. He acted like a complete dick. Other than that I have no experience with him or his stuff.

4. punisher73

punisher73 Member

What was the situation?

5. tellner

tellner New Member

He emailed me out of the blue telling me to link to his site. He didn't ask to exchange links, just demanded that I do it. A short time later someone pointed me at a couple posts on his private bulletin board. Franco had written some nasty stuff about Silat saying that he'd rather do ballet in a fight.

I told him I'd rather not promote someone who acted like that behind my back. His response was that I should be grateful for the chance to be associated with him and his material. I didn't bother writing back.

6. chubbybutdangerous

chubbybutdangerous CHUBBY MEMBER

:bow:
    I've seen his name/ads before in Inside Kung Fu and other related mags (which tells me something right there). Seen some videos and some other stuff about him on the internet. From what I've read I think I'd have the same impression as Tellner does. Not saying he doesn't have some skill. But he seems to have a very high opinion of what he does and a much lower opinion of anyone who doesn't. He's also made a few questionable claims and challenges from what I've seen. All the grandiose talk and lack of humility really turns me off. But then again, what do I know... I'm just chubby!
    :kicknuts:

7. punisher73

punisher73 Member

Thanks for the info. I would agree that he is very opinionated about what he teaches. He pretty much trashes on ANY other organized style no matter what it's origin is (karate, judo, FMA's etc.)

I do like some of his stuff and think he has good material, but some of the marketing and badmouthing without cause I can do without.

8. Makata

Makata New Member

IMHO, you (and anyone else) would be better served by training with (or buying DVDs and manuals from) the Senshido crew in Montreal. Of all of the old Combat Coalition guys (of which Franco was one)--Rich Dimitri of Senshido is the most impressive re: both functional skills and knowledge, plus he's a solid, smart, funny, decent human being as well.

FYI, some of his guys (on his Forum, which is a good place, generally speaking) are kinda, um, "funny" about both knives & weapons/FMA training (many aren't exactly "for" or "into" it), but maybe it's because they're Canadian (or are located in Northern Europe), and have a somewhat different mentality? Either way, don't let that minor quibble deter you guys...seriously, check 'em out!

http://www.senshido.com

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  9. FENOM

FENOM New Member

Maybe because they are Canadian or located in Northern Europe? Wow, you should really think before you speak/write because I think you are suffering from rectal cranial inversion.

10. I also recommend highly Rich Dimitri's Shredder and Knife Defense DVDs. Definitely brings another tool for us to use! I met Rich and went to his seminar here in the Bay Area a few years back and it really pushed me to think outside my comfortable box... SENSHIDO HAS TOP NOTCH STUFF!