S&W karambit

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by rshawtx, Feb 22, 2008.

1. rshawtx

rshawtx New Member

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Looks good! I like my (cheap) VTech folding kerambit.

3. rshawtx

rshawtx New Member

Thanks!

Maraming Salamat Arnisador! I put great stock in your input. Since it was a folder, I was worried about the locking mechanism. I have been searching online for any reviews. S&W website doesn't have them as far as I can see.

With that article on Policeone.com that Matt put out, I can see law-makers putting the kebosh on this. Oh well, we all know what material is used to pave the road to hell.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Mine locks out about as well as any other folder, but of course given the way you'd draw a kerambit across a person, the odds of it failing are much less--you're usually pushing it towards the open, not closed position.

I too expect it to be declared the new switchblade at some point after reading that article. Sigh...

5. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Is it the waves that make it so fast to deploy? I've never actually held a folding kerambit.

6. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Yeah, but not all of the kerambit folders have the wave opening mechanism. I'm sure though that they'll all be banned regardless.

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Be careful with the locking mechanism!!!!!! I had an emerson knockoff karambit and when I was testing the lock, the sucker bit me to the extent of 6 stitches right between my thumb and forefinger.. Needless to say, I will stay with my spyderco civilian for my karambit training.. No more knock off karambits for me..

8. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Owwwwch owch owch owch owch. My inner musician is clenching my fingers in sympathetic pain!!

Good advice for all folders though, eh?

9. rshawtx

rshawtx New Member

Silat1,

Your pain is my gain. I was looking at another Emerson knock-off and your post put a quick end to that. Wisdom truly is learning from someone else's misfortune.

Thank you for lending credence to my concerns about locking mechanisms. I guess that's what separate the cheap folders and the ones that cost the same as a car payment. :) Another example of "you get what you pay for". I guess I could justify getting the expensive ones by pointing out the savings in emergency room fees... but then again, we can choose to justify anything if we set our minds to it. :)

10. shadedragon

shadedragon New Member

I know that this is late but here is my 2 cents. I bought a S&W Extreme Ops folding Karambit off of EBay. The knife is not bad, it has a frame lock ( which I am still on the fence about), the steel is a little soft ( I bent the tip of the blade digging an arrow out of a piece of wood), and I lost two screws from the clip ( no idea where they went to). Aside from that I have seen worse. So in the end the old addage holds true "You get want you pay for."

11. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I would not call this a cheap knock off. The Emerson is a great folding Kerambit if not a little over priced for what you get. I have one and it is a great knife. The S & W Hawk Bill is a sturdy folding knife but marketed at a more reasonable albeit cheap price. Since getting one for Christmas as a gift mine has been put through the ringer and has been used with a ton of every day chores from box cutting, tape cutting, salt bag cutting, rope cutting, twine, plastic, etc. It is still almost like brand new.

Here is a review at my Blog: The Instinctive Edge

I would say between the Emerson and the S & W that the Emerson is the better knife. Just better materials all around. Still the S & W is pretty tight and very sturdy for the price. I have no worries about using it and having any issues provided I use it properly.

Of course neither compare with a good fixed blade Kerambit! [​IMG]

12. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

5.11 tactical has a new kerambit folder that looks like it could be good as well...

LINK

13. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

That is a really good looking Kerambit folder.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, that looks solid!