Russian Martial Arts--Weaponology.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Feb 17, 2008.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The (Discovery) Military Channel's show Weaponology tonight was on "Spetsnaz" and featured brief segments on the use of the rifle in a sticklike manner, demonstrated by Sonny Puzikas. The use of the entrenching tool in CQC was also discussed (by Andrei Pokhilchuk and Mike Rich) and demonstrated by Mikhail Ryabko and others.

They stated that three main types of martial arts are trained: rukopashka boi, sambo, and systema. Frankly, much of it could have been mistaken for TKD--high kicks were commonly seen in the training.

Mikhail Ryabko and Vlad Vasiliev are seen demonstrating systema; the former speaks briefly about the art. The latter isn't identified in the show (but I recognized him).

There's also a brief shot of uniformed men doing Karate-style kata in unison and a few brief segments showing soldiers practicing unarmed combat: twice holding rifles, several times unarmed against an unarmed or knife-wielding opponent, and several times with padding and gloves, as well as a quick shot of board-breaking and another of bottle-breaking (on the forehead). The bulk of the show is on the use of rifles (used as firearms) in battle.

I believe it'll be re-shown soon.

2. scubamatt

scubamatt New Member

I'd like to see that episode, I'll have my wife try and tape it for me.

I had the opportunity to train with some Spetznaz during the 1980s, as part of an exchange program. I believe Sambo was their primary hand-to-hand system at that time, and they had quite a bit more emphasis on close range point shooting methods with pistols than we did. The officers were heavily indoctrinated (politically) and were very formal/aloof, but the enlisted men were just like us when they weren't being strictly supervised.

Unlike the typical soviet soldier of the time, all those men were volunteers, highly motivated and well trained. They also spoke excellent english, though they were not permitted to do so while their officers were around. Our only significant advantage over them was technological - we had better electronics/commo in general, and access to a broader variety of specialized weapons. For pure physical fitness and motivation, they were as good or better than we were. It was a sobering realization for us.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I fast-forwarded through the "Israeli Commandos" episode of Weaponology tonight. As expected, there was some Krav Maga, including pistol, knife, and club defenses. (Some of the club/baseball bat defenses looked suspect to me.) For a while part it was just shots of people training while the discussion remained about the toughness of the commandos generally, including discussion and footage of trainees simply lining up and punching one another to learn how to take and give a punch, but then they spent some time discussing the art in greater detail. Moni Aizik of Commando Krav Maga was featured. It was a pretty good length segment on the system. It's worth looking for when it's repeated!

I was reminded of Wing Chun and of Systema at many points as I watched the techniques, as well as jujutsu.

4. scubamatt

scubamatt New Member

Have you seen the Fight Quest episode on Krav Maga? It aired last week, back to back with the one on Brazilian Jujitsu. The season finale is supposed to be this week, I believe, where they end up back in the US for their last match.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I taped it but haven't watched it yet! My BJJ instructor has been talking up the BJJ episode which I also have recorded.

6. scubamatt

scubamatt New Member

If you are a BJJ fan, then you will like it, they went straight to the top of the A list - the Gracies.

The Krav Maga episode was pretty good, and gives you an idea of the difference between a civilian/combat method and a soldier/combat method. Same general results, but approaching it from two very different mindsets.

7. pguinto

pguinto New Member

SF Bay Area for Kajukenbo

Not much technique inthe Krav episode. Really not much technique in many of the episodes. They're mostly psychological in nature; acheiving the mental state necessary for survival.

8. scubamatt

scubamatt New Member

I think that's a combination of two things:

1. They only have 5 days to 'train' the Americans, who are already stuffed with a bunch of other styles/systems/moves/conditioned reflexes (from their own personal training background, plus all the things they have tried in the series so far). There really isn't much you can teach a guy in five days, when he's not really a blank slate to start with. Especially if you tell him he's supposed to use what you teach him (in the 'test'), not what he already learned somewhere else.

2. Liability for showing 'real techniques' on worldwide TV, where someone, somewhere is going to try it and hurt/get hurt. The disclaimer at the beginning is nowhere near enough legal defense if that should happen.

I look at each episode as about 15 minutes of 'get the flavor of this particular form of martial art', more than anything else. With commercials and the 'repeat whats happened so far and what is going to happen at the end of the week' thing they do after every commercial break, you only get about 15 mins of actual content. In that respect, they did a good job, I think. Its aimed at the average civilian who knows nothing much at all about any style of martial art, not the serious researcher or student.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Systema stickwork (seen on MT):
    [yt]xWpkcB9mxdM[/yt]