Rock 'n Roll Never Forgets.

Discussion in 'The Den' started by Makata, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Makata

Makata New Member

Hey, Pat--most of my teens and 20's were spent with English Punk Rock and Oi! blasting on my boombox...the country that gave the world the gift of The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, The Specials and Sham 69 (and William Fairbairn, Eric Sykes and Geoff Thompson--not to mention everyone's favorite Avenger, Diana Rigg) can't be all bad! :D

Meet ya for a pint or three at the pub sometime, mate,
    Lester S. :)

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Dam talk about make me feel old, I remember all of them, I used to follow all of them (the bands that is) I even had green spikey hair and do this a lot to people on passing busses:moon: Oh to be in my 20's and know what I know now, no one would be safe, I mean no one:EvilGrin:

I will stand you on that pint mate, Who knows, next year I may look to pop out to NY, my son Rees has always wanted to go there and I have some old PTK friend I would also love to look up.

Best regards

Pat

3. tellner

tellner New Member

What made me feel old was hearing Iron Maiden.

As grocery store Muzak :uhoh:

4. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

Ouch.... When I saw Maiden a couple of years ago Motorhead and Dio opened up for them... All I can say is that there is a rather large population of people that don't know the 80's ended....

-wes tasker

5. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

LOL, amen Wes...Great thing is my 12 year old boy is now discovering the ands like Iron Maiden and Motor Head. I swear Lemmy must be pickled in something to still be kicking. Just goes to show you that good rock n roll still stands the test of time.

ps. I felt old when I heard some teenage boys refer to Lynyrd Skynyrd as..THAT GUY!...Yepp down right blasphemy...LOL

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hey, count me among them!

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

8. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

That's what I like about the band "Iced Earth"... They've been keeping that old Maiden vibe alive (you know - everything including and before Seventh Son of a Seventh Son...). Good stuff......

When I saw him Lemmy definitely looked pickled and Dio looked - well, soemtimes you just got to know when to stop...

-wes tasker

9. Makata

Makata New Member

I LOVE Motorhead (everything, I mean, EVERYTHING--and I wish I could play guitar like "Fast" Eddie Clarke) and I still enjoy Iron Maiden (up till about the POWERSLAVE album, anyway)...I've only ever heard THE LAST IN LINE and HOLY DIVER by Dio, though (which I dug back in junior high)...I do like Dio's stuff with Sabbath!

Re: Metal, I was basically a Thrash fan, with healthy doses of Discharge, G.B.H., Poison Idea and Black Flag as well...plus growing up in NYC, many of the NY Hardcore Punk bands were very metal influenced (Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, Maximum Penalty, Sheer Terror, etc.). As I was a CBGB's Sunday Hardcore Matinee regular growing up, my personal taste in Metal is very influenced by all of that (as in, no Bon Jovi for me--more Slayer, Kreator and Danzig instead).

Hey, Wes--when you were growing up in Boston (I'm guessing you're about my age, yeah?), were you into the Boston Hardcore scene at all? Did you ever hang out at The Rat? You had some damn good bands in your town at that time...I'm just curious!

All best,
    Lester S. :)

10. Makata

Makata New Member

Lemmy Kilminster is like Keith Richards...essentially an IMMORTAL.

**cue the eerie music**

This is a good thing, IMHO. :)

Lester S.

11. Makata

Makata New Member

Be sure to touch base with me if you are ever headed my way, Pat--we'll get drinks in town, for sure! :D

Cheers,
    Lester S.

12. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

Lester-

I'm 37 by the way. I never really was into the hardcore scene. I do agree that some pretty solid bands came out of Boston. I too love old Maiden, Black Sabbath (but only with Ozzy on vocals...). Currently I listen to alot of Slipknot, Mudvayne, Otep, Iced Earth etc. I was pretty lucky in that I worked at Tower Records (three locations) for 3 years so I got exposed to a lot of lesser known bands -both local and not.

-wes

13. Makata

Makata New Member

Awww, man--no MOB RULES for you? That album's great, man!
    (Although yes--the Ozzy years were the best re: Sabbath!)

Yeah, I thought so--you're my age!

I like Slipknot, I can hear the Black Flag and old-school death metal influences in them...I hear good things about Iced Earth, as well (although I haven't heard 'em myself). Don't know much about Mudvayne and Otep, I'm sorry to say...

Up The Irons,
    Lester

14. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Hell,
    You think you guys are old? I was going to school when REO Speedwagon was still a college band.. I also remember when the group Chicago was called the Chicago Transit Authority.. By the way, I still remember the skinny Elvis and groups like Sam the Sham and the Pharohs, KC and the Sunshine Band along with Paul Revere and the Raiders (and not the original Paul Revere who rode from Boston warning the Minute men about the British invasion)

I also still remember when the price of gas was 29c a gallon

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I was into REO in high school...my first concert was Rush, then Styx.