Riot Clubs and Egypt.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Jan 28, 2011.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

These images from the Egyptian uprising show lots of club-wielding police. Look at pics #9 and 12:
    http://totallycoolpix.com/2011/01/the-egypt-protests/

(Warning: Further down are some very graphic images of badly wounded people.) What wood is that the police are using? It looks almost like rattan but they must be using something harder, I assume?

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I've been watching the coverage on the news the last couple of days. Absolutely crazy. I hope for their sake that they get some reforms and a government that will guarantee their liberty. Also, I guess maybe stick work is still relevant in a modern world huh?

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm continually amazed by how often the stick comes out--by individuals, by govts.

4. Apatride

Apatride New Member

It is a very interesting weapon, it is cheap, easy to use (even if it is difficult to "master"), has a great stopping power...

5. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

*** Insert thread drift***

I don't want to turn this into a political discussion. But this situation ought to remind people how important certain freedoms and rights we enjoy in the US really are. The freedom of information and free press, to include the internet. What is one of the first thing Mubarak did in Egypt? Shut the internet down. We have a president right now who has asked for that power for use in times of emergency. Hmm. Second, access to firearms. Not for hunting. Not for family tradition. None of those are the reason. It is so the people who live in the country might have the means to overthrow a illegitimate government who is not serving the people. Finally, Posse Comitatus. The prevention of the national military being used against its own people and the tradition of citizen soldiers who do not rely on their position in the military to provide them with prestige or safety is HUGE. In the US, should the president ever order the Military against his/her own people what would happen? Can you imagine the officers and enlisted in the military following an order to drop a bomb on Omaha. NE? There would, at the very least be a split in the military with a massively large portion refusing the unlawful order per the oath that they swore to the defend the Constitution, not the government. I suspect it would be the vast majority if not all.

These freedoms and rights are precious. And, they exist for a reason. Something to think about the next time voting comes around. If you think that we can't have this sort of thing in the US I submit that you are wrong. Watch our economy collapse and see what happens...

***end thread drift***

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread... ;o)

6. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Thepolice seemed to act in accordance to the threat that was presented to them. If you throw a fire bomb, expect to get shot. If rioters don't they are idiots. The police seem to be showing great restraint in the instances I have seen. They are using rattan when they should be using hardwood. They are using riot sheilds against fire bombs. The Egyptian police and military are showing great restaint. This is probably due to the 1.3 billion dollars the U.S. gives the Egyptian police and military. Hopefully we will see a peaceful resolution with the promise of Mubarik not to run again in the next election. I think that we will see terrorist groups vying for power in the state if this is not the case.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Clashes Erupt in Cairo Between Mubarak’s Allies and Foes

Once again, a major confrontation is using exactly the tools we as FMAers train with (er, excepting the Molotov cocktails). I'm continually amazed at how relevant these weapons remain in the age of automatic firearms.