Remy Presas and Dean Stockwell.

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by arnisador, Apr 12, 2007.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The Professor demonstrates basic block-check-counter with actor and Modern Arnis instructor Dean Stockwell:

[yt]jKo5m-18T6w[/yt]

2. khd29

khd29 New Member

Oh, Boy! Al???!!!

I didn't know he taught MA.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, he studied Modern Arnis and is an instructor in it. I read an interesting article on this once but now can't find the link...he initially started for Pacific Connection, I think, but then stuck with it (at least for a while).

4. Datu Dieter

Datu Dieter Junior Member

As far as I know, Professor Remy stayed with Dean Stockwell for 6 months, when coming to the US in 1975.
    But I am not 100 % sure.

5. Mono

Mono Member

According to the Professor, Dean "invented" the "Reverse Sinawali" during the Making of Pacific Connection after Remy taught him the Redondo, Dean "reversed" the motion and thus the "Reverse Sinawali" was born.

(This can be found on one of Remys Videotapes from the 80s Series!)

Yours,
    Philipp "Mono" Wolf

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Dean Stockwell and Reverse Sinawali.

I've heard this story before! I have always suspected that it's exaggerated.

7. David F

David F New Member

Datu Dieter is correct in stating Professor Remy stayed for a period of time with Dean Stockwell when in the USA.

According to Senior Master Roland Dantes, Dean Stockwell commenced his training in Modern Arnis during the filming of 'Pacific Connection'. Roland Dantes was starring in the film and he had Professor Remy employed as fight choreographer and it was while watching them train and rehearse together, Dean Stockwell became interested. In fact there was an article in the old 'Fighting Stars' martial arts magazine about the film and also Mr. Stockwell's training. BY the way, Senior Master Vicente R. Sanchez was also featured in the movie.

David

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, I didn't know that! I wish I could see the movie.

9. Datu Dieter

Datu Dieter Junior Member

He was the stuntman, that doubled the father of "Ben" (Roland Dantes) in the fighting scenes. During the filming, Vic Sanchez met GM Remy of the first time.

Regards

Dieter

10. hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands New Member

exactly! saw that video myself.

can anyone tell me where you can find a complete series of those tapes? thanks!

11. David F

David F New Member

Once again Datu Dieter is correct. There are a few old pictures floating around taken during the filming of the movie.

12. Combat Kali

Combat Kali New Member

I saw the film at rolands house in Frankston with Tino ceberano and Vince Palumbo in April 1995. Somebody could get it released ?

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Please, give us a review?

14. Combat Kali

Combat Kali New Member

review postponed

It was in 1995 when I viewed it but I remember the fight scenes and how imposing Roland looked in those days. The filmed featured quality martial artists of the times but the story was a bit cheesy. Roland will be back in Aus soon and I will do the review justice by watching it again if he has it.
    I am sure he does, memory thinks it was called "sticks of death". The day was great as Roland and Goju Master Tino ceberano came to watch Vince Palumbo teach Doce pares at my club. Afterwards we all had dinner prepared by Roland & Tino and Leigh Jenkins of new Zealand, Vince & myself chatted about Martial arts and considering the talent in the room no egos at all. All are a credit to FMA and many could learn from their example.I do the review when I get to Roland.Does anybody know where to get it ?
    Hugh Doherty
    Australia

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks for sharing those memories! I know it's not available in the U.S. for legal reasons of some sort.

16. David F

David F New Member

Hugh is correct in how imposing Guro Roland was in the film.

As I mentioned the other day Hugh, Guro will be returning to Australia soon and I should have confirmation within the next week of his arrival. He will be spending a lot of time with myself and my family in the country so he can enjoy a little rest with fresh air.

I have copies of the film and others in storage. We can have a chat when we catch up.