Relying on The Knife as a Tool.

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by arnisador, Nov 11, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Setting Out Into the Arizona Wilderness With Only a Knife

This is a detailed piece from the NY Times about a survival school that focuses on surviving with minimal gear--principally the knife.

People always point out that the knife is a tool. Sometimes they use that as a cover for the fact that they carry one for self-defense. But this is a nice reminder that in terms of self-preservation a knife is an important tool in more ways than one!

2. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

I agree it is a tool.

Here in Michigan I get more hassel when and if I carry.

In Arizona and elsewhere out west when I am working, I carry a knife with me. It is a tool to cut a bad hose off, and replace it, it can be used if serrated to cut a set belt and get someone out. One might ask why this would be a concern for me, and the answer is that many times we are miles upon miles from help with no cell phone coverage and if an accident occurs, being prepared helps.

It is a tool. But like any tool it can be used incorrectly or illegally.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

More and more I get the serrated versions of blades I carry. As a weapon I do not like the serration on it, despite what effects I know it could have in enlarging a wound, but as a tool I like having that option available to me. Especially since I started carrying a less-than-two-inch keychain blade that I find uses for constantly, I really do think of it as a tool.

4. loyalonehk

loyalonehk Kaju Dog - DBMAA

True and well said,
    I like to think of it as an extention of my being... When I can't carry a blade... I sharpen my finger nails. (ie Non-government Airplane trips)

Sounds like a fun adventure...

I like the serrated edge for various reasons. I usually get the 50/50 blades.
    I like the serrated edge because it does not have to be sharpened as often and even if you just "nick" someone you get a response... Hense my love of the "Nick & Stick" drills. I work with surgical blades often and perform minor surgeries from time to time... You can cut someone with a super sharp blade and they may not realize it for a moment or two. With the serrated blade you will get an instant relfexive reaction.

V/R,

5. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I have a book, I think it's called the Everyday Knife Bible or something like that. It details many wonderful things that you can do with knives that don't involve sticking hem in to other people ;) such as using the knife as a compass.

It's pretty cool.

6. loyalonehk

Sounds like a good read... Can you verify the title and author for me please. I realy enjoy things like that. In fact a first of many seminars to come will be held in the mountains for several days with all ages from mature youth and up. I am always looking for useful information to share.

Thanks in advance,
    :coolyello

7. Carol

You bet! Sorry I didn't have the book nearby when I posted.

Everybody's Knife Bible, by Don Paul. Publisher is Pathfinder Publications. I picked it up at an Army Navy store. :)

It's an excellent book. It gets in to the description of knives (what is which and for what purpose) as well as care. It goes in to some good basic weapon/defense aspects, but I found myself to be most rivited by the unexpected applications.

It shows....how to use a knife to cross running water safely, how to tell time, how to get directions, how to measure heights in a forest, how to clean a fish...its pretty interesting stuff.

The Army-Navy store where I went had a couple of other books from the same publisher (Pathfinder) including one by the same author. The focus seems to be on outdoorsy subjects explained in a way that even a city slicker like me can figure it out. Good stuff. :D

8. loyalonehk

9. Carol

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

What's this?

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

OK, I'm going to need to know more about this...

12. loyalonehk

Without going into too much detail and pulling away from the focus area of this thread. "Nick & Stick" Drills... Key word being drill. You can develop your own from this main principle (IMHO trial and error is the best teacher for this as everyone will react a bit different and vary in size, etc.) Most all of us at one time or another has nicked or cut themselves (ie paper cut on a finger comes to mind). What is your immediate subconscious reaction? To jerk away from the pain and look (even if only for that split second) at your finger. If we apply this lesson to our training (ie drills) we can recreate the same response by nicking, or for safety in training (use wood, metal or hard rubber training knives) and smack the finger of your partner. When he/she reacts, there is your opening to go in for the "stick" or kill. I like to work on, and teach my students, to then work around the body in one direction or the other (situational) using a bit of trapping and hooking to create even more openings to access vital targets of opportunity.

Another great "drill" is to line the group up and have them take any fighting stance, then the front man will turn and attack the first person in line (once comfortable with this, the person in the line up can start to take a swing or two at the attacker comming through the line up... add more weapons into the play at later stages, etc), work the "nick and stick principle" manuver around that person taking vital targets on the way to #2 person, then repeat to #3 etc. As he/she moves down the line the new #1 person will turn and follow the suit performing the drill on down the line. When he/she reaches the end of the line they will then turn and take a fighting stance and challenge the on commer that is moving through the drill.

More people die from stabbings than slashes. (Ever read of someone being slashed to death?) The slashes and flow patterns help guide us to the "Nick" follow each slash with a return stab and explosive check hand follow up to aid in pulling the blade back out of the wound while also exadurating the wound site. Try this, hit a whole water melon not to easy to make open up. Now, try stabbing the water melon then strike the same site with your "check hand" opens up and makes more damage easier.

Hope this helps... Its not my creation, but I do enjoy the "drill" Try to get the person moving through the line or crowd to zig zag and work a variety of angles (this also helps with power development and foot work) on the move...

V/R,

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  13. young blade

young blade New Member

That's an interesting drill, and I agree with you concept.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

This makes a lot of sense to me!

I agree--I found the post interesting! It's true that many drills don't let you train for what happens when you do get in a minor hit and thereby create an opening. The focus on the initial "nick" from the slash being followed by a stab given that an opening has been created is basic sense but not necessarily easy to practice in a realistic way. So often your partner is still going as though he hasn't been hit at all.