Redondo (Name Game).

Discussion in 'General' started by arnisador, Nov 8, 2005.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Continuing the name game, I have found that redondo/redonda means different, but related, things to different people.

Many think of it as Heaven Six (a.k.a. Heaven Sticks) sinawali. I learned the term as that same motion done more downward than forward--one person holds two sticks out at hip-length, parallel to the floor and making an angle to the body, and the other person does that motion, three strokes on one stick, R-L-R, then three strokes on the other, L-R-L, repeat. I considered Heaven Six a different, though obviously related, drill.

But I've heard many people use this term for what we in Modern Arnis might call the double zero strike of anyo dalawa, or the circular strike in a vertical plane that's sometimes called hirada (an exaggerated version of the middle strike of Heaven Six, perhaps). In fact, the main thing I've learned is that when another FMA instructor says "Do a redonda strike" all I know is that there'll be something somewhat circular to the motion!

What does this term mean in your system?

2. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

There is no correlation in the Balintawak I know.

From Modern Arnis, I have always referred to the right hand horizozntal forehand strike followed by the left hand horizontal strike, follwed by the Right hand vertical strike, then repeat on opposite side where left is right and right is left, as Redonda. Since everyone else kind of did it similiar to Heaven six, GM Remy Presas told us that this was Redonda X as the motions were 45 degrees or like an "X".

Redondo, means to repeat form my limited understanding. But, if there is anything I know, and that is ask any Three Filipinos what a words means and you most likely will get different answers, based upon their root Dialect, or native tongue.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I'm training with a Modern Arnis group now, but came from a Doce Pares background. In DP, we used redondo to refer to the circular hit on a roughly vertical plane, as you described. And in Modern Arnis, as you said, it seems to refer to a Heaven Six-type maneuver with doble olisi.

Stuart

4. bart

bart New Member

Redonda

In Spanish redonda means "round" as in a noun (gerund specifically) signifying something circular. Pretty much when you hear redonda or redondo in the FMA it's going to indicate some type of circular strike. Repeated strikes often travel in a circle so the meaning these days may also indicate a series of strikes or a striking pattern wherein the stick or striking instrument comes back to its origin following a strike.

5. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Redondo

I use the term "redondo" in the following clip while explaining the "arko" strike:

http://northshoreac.com/san_miguel_eskrima/arko_files/arko.mpg

In this case, arko is a "redondo" that has been tightened up considerably so that the second strike follows up more quickly. As shown in the clip, the second strike can also change its level and angle so the striking pattern can end up taking a spiral, rather than circular, shape.

Hence in the following clip, the formal way of applying "arko arko" (a forehand, horizontal, double redondo followed by a backhand, horizontal, double redondo) can be changed, for example, if you want subsequent strikes to happen a little faster (in this case, the diagonal coming up from the floor):

http://northshoreac.com/san_miguel_eskrima/san_miguel_form_files/smf_eg.mpg

Other examples of redondo:

"helicopter" - circular strikes that go around the head

"flywheel" - a vertical circular cut that starts from the backhand side

"reverse flywheel" - vertical circular cut that starts from the forehand side

Best,

Steve Lamade

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

These clips are really appreciated. It took me a minute to see the (Modern Arnis style) redondo pattern in the arko arko, but now I do!

I think that what you call the helicopter, we call the double zero strike from baston anyo dalawa. The two flywheels appear explicitly in the 12 basic strikes of Dekiti Tirsia Siradis, I think. I call the flywheel a hirada and don't have a particular name for the reverse flywheel. An instructor with whom I'm now studying calls both of those (plus the helicopter) redonda strikes, as you suggest.