Recommendations on an Espada y Daga training set

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by jwinch2, Dec 30, 2009.

1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thoughts? Which ones do you like? I am in the market and am trying to decide which way to go.

Thanks in advance...

2. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

jwinch2--

You have many options, but I suggest starting at www.normstrainingblades.com, as his prices are very reasonable in my opinion and has a selection. There are several styles but one certainly could mix and match long blades with different shorter ones. And I believe he also does custom offers as well. 'Norm' is actually a nice chap named Chris.

John Bednarski is on this forum and does wonderful work as well.

I really liked the craftsmanship of Bob Burgee's work at www.trainingblades.com, (Edges2) but they have become rather costly and I liked his micarta handles, which he no longer does (publically, at least).

Good luck in your search.

Best,

Jack A. Latorre

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  3. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

Found another site...

Hello All--

I found another site with aluminum training blades which may help whet your tastes:

http://uleptrainingblades.com/index.html

I personally have not ordered from them yet, but if anyone here on the forum does, kindly share your experiences.

Respectfully,

Jack A. Latorre

4. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

I also make trainers in my spare time, per order. Typically most of mine are custom orders and copies of the buyer's personal blade. So price will vary on the difficulty of the design. Most of mine are made to mimic the original as much as possible and overall balance is the important factor.

Here's a link to photos of some of my past work.

http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/yy233/navadisha/trainers/

5. Nice collection and better than a lot of the work I see online.

Can you please PM me who let you copy (or gave you permission to copy and then advertise) GM Yuli's designs?

It's very difficult to stop these kinds of thing but no-body out of the Bahad Zu'bu family should be making, copying or retailing these blades.

Stands to reason really.

Thanks.

Simon.

6. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Thanks for the compliment Simon, it was for a BZ practitioner.
    I do understand you have an arrangement with GM Yuli. These were left in my album just to show examples of work.

btw, your PM box is full, LOL.

7. Thanks. I will clear it now.

This reminds me to discuss the matter with all the practitioners as they should be ordering the blades through Master Yuli and not be allowing them to be copied. I guess this is what happened so I know you are not entirely to blame. I know you are using them as examples but to me it shows you have copied his work and are using his name.

It's not really to do with my arrangement either. I am an instructor in BZ and as such have permission to sell them. All BZ instructors have permission to sell them. Money ends up back to him through my endeavors. Those who are not instructors do not have permission from GM Yuli to sell them or use his name. It's as simple as that really.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply and PMs - no pun intended ;)

Simon.

8. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Just to clarify, I'm not to blame in anyway. i was asked to see if I could make them for his use and I was curious to see what I could do.

9. You did a good job. The aluminum looks good for sure.

The only problem I have is including them as examples of your work. Someone could come along as say "Right, I want 10 Yuli Barongs".

What would you do then?

Got the PM this time. Am replying now. Thanks.

10. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Actually, the barung isn't a Yuli design. It was purchased in a market.
    However if it was, now that I actually know these are purportedly proprietary designs, I would respect that I have now actually been asked and tell them I couldn't make them.
    But as I mentioned, most everything I make is custom per order anyway. Most trainers should be made as copies of the orginal owned by the user already. If I make more, I try to change the design in some way.
    I changed the name on the Barung.

This discussion is why I usually don't advertise that I make them. It's grown out of requests for friends. What I charge rarely covers the work I have in them.
    I don't like to deal with any unpleasantness or politics. This post was a lapse in judgement I suppose.

11. No, it's cool.

Changing the names is a good idea and maybe asking the people why they don't buy the training blades from their Master ;)

As GM Yuli says "All blades are the same". To him a Pira looks the same as a Barung as does a Sansibar. A strange concept but he manages to explain it well (much better than I do anyway).

So it's pretty difficult (and petty) to split hairs anyway.

Maybe I am over-protective but he is not a rich man and I would like some money to flow back to him if people use his designs or name. (And I know this was not your intention like you describe).

Thanks again for replying to my posts.

Simon.