Rattan stick alternatives

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by Malapitan, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Malapitan

Malapitan New Member

I'm curious about the various rattan stick alternatives that are becoming available, like this one:

http://www.coldsteel.com/escrimastick.html

How do they feel and perform as compared to rattan? What are the other similar products available in the market?

2. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Guava is a pretty nice wood...

3. Diana

Diana New Member

29,99 $ for ONE stick?? Is that for members of an arnis-millionaires-club or something??

4. The Phalanx

That stick is overpriced... If you want durability, do what I did, get a pair of metal pipes from Home Depot, wrap them in hockey tape and whack away at a tire or somethin'... It will wear you out before you can wear it out...

I mean $30 for one stick is just overkill...

5. Hickory

Hickory New Member

Well, curiosity got the better of me and I ordered one. It's heavy and several inches longer than a 'regular' stick - which I do find useful for conditioning. The added weight and length really gives my wrists a good stretch.

That said, I agree it is really overpriced - and I think you get just as good a workout with a pair of kamagong sticks...or a Louisville Slugger.

6. Malapitan

Malapitan New Member

I have no intention of buying one LOL! I was just wondering if this and other sticks have been used by the members here and how it performs compared to good old rattan.

there are others who offer synthetic sticks... I can't recall the brand names

7. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Nice looking stick, but kamagong is fine for me!

9. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I like Kamagong as well! [​IMG]

10. Hickory

Hickory New Member

What can I say...it was an ebay buzz LOL!

11. tellner

tellner New Member

Reshaped axe handle

12. The Phalanx

Like what I said, use metal pipes...

13. MichaelJB

MichaelJB New Member

I use "close node" rattan for speed work, bahi for everyday training and a metal pipe for conditioning. I really like the bahi sticks. IMO kamagong is good for solo practice due to the possibility of breaks and flying shards. Bahi has good weight and, like rattan, is fiberous and will fray before breaking. I never got into the synthetics - I prefer the feel of the natural materials instead.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The metal pipe sounds uncomfortable to grip for a long period!

15. The Phalanx

Don't overdo it the first time... Slowly (very slowly)until you get the hang of it... Or else you'll totally mess up your carpals and tendons...

16. MichaelJB

MichaelJB New Member

"Don't overdo it the first time..."

Which, of course, I did. I had trouble for about 4 months in my wrist and shoulder.

"The metal pipe sounds uncomfortable to grip for a long period!"

I wrapped my pipe with duct tape that I purposefully let wrinkle as it was applied to help with grip. Even with the tape helping with grip, the weight of the pipe definitely gives the hands a workout. I only use it a short time within my overall workout - basic angles, forward/reverse figure 8's, redondo, abaniko and pictos - both left and right hands.

Best advice I can give to anyone wanting to swing a metal pipe is to work up to it, which seems obvious but sometimes enthusiasm can get the best of us - like I did myself. Use lighter sticks and gradually get to the pipe. Also, like The Phalanx mentioned, go through the movements slowly. I use the slower movements to work proper form more than just swinging something heavy for the sake of a workout.

17. The Phalanx

I did that in my first month of FMA... I overdid it with my sinawalis... Next day, I could barely grip a pen or fork... At least it only lasted a week for me, good thing I asked FMA guys from MySpace about how to do it properly early on or else I'd be really in trouble...

I don't use it as a replacement for actual sticks, not a good idea... But it helps with a better grip and strength... It's a good supplement equipment...

But as far as rattan is concerned, I use the ones from KIL which is about 1 1/4" thick... Good weight and good size for your daily movements...

18. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I like to work my arms with a piece of rebar. Bare handed in the cold. Dang I wish Bobbe was here to tell me I was nuts. :D But I digress...

I don't hit anything with it, I use it to practice strikes and control when I don't have something specific to hit. Plus its a handy tool to keep in the car. ;)

19. Segi

Segi New Member

alternative sticks

I have used composite sticks, they are definatley heavier and will probably last a good long time. The only problem I have is they "bounce" big time so you really have to hang on to them!If I use them to long my hands actually get a buzzing sensation which is definatley weird.

20. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Those sticks are made so that you can cut them down to the right length. If you look, you can tell that the breaks are different at each end so that you can make them 30", 28" or 26" if you want cut it down.

My Rattan sticks all are loosing out in less than 3 months with regular use from cracking, spintering or breakage. It doesn't seem that bad an investment to me. Let me know what you think of them after 3 months.