Range

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by mi1990, Mar 1, 2011.

1. mi1990

mi1990 New Member

How does Balintawak close in the gap into close range if the fight starts far away and not immediately at ranges where both opponents can hit each other ?

2. Mike Zimmer

Mike Zimmer Mike Zimmer

My instructor, Dr. Dom Lopez has taught me a number of strategies and combinations for closing. These were shown to him by Master Jose Villasin and Master Tenong (probably Celestino "Tenong" Ybanez). They start from the distance at which the tips of your sticks can touch, as in a formal duel. They involve things such as baiting to draw an attack, feinting, mis-direction, hitting the hand first, and other things. They all involve combinations and moving it to corridas. I have not seen them mentioned by other Balintawak experts on the Internet, so I do not know how widely spread they were, nor if they have been retained by other branches of the art.

Regards

3. free2flow

free2flow New Member

closing the gap, similar to those you mentioned are also discussed/analyzed. i presume it will be similar with how your doing it, since monie velez other main instructor is also tinong ybanez. i agree though, it's not openly discussed along with some other things.

4. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Mike et al, I do know that Manong Ted Buot taught some as you said with the waiting to move or with a lansis / feint move, and not to head hunt. I am not saying they are the same techniques, only that the principals sound similar.

Yet what I tell most people is that when people who practiced Balintwak Fought in the streets for a duel it was a duel where two people wanted to hurt each other not just dance around for points. Manong Ted does tell a story where 'Noy Anciong lost a mole on his forearm fighting someone with longer (over three feet) canes. He leaned back on the strike and as it went by it ripped off his mole and then he moved in on his backhand side swinging for his head. He was forced to come back "Balistic" to block and then he was wihtin 'Not Anciong's preferred range.

From my experience people who really want to hurt each other do not dance around on the outside and just snipe. They use techniques to cover the distance and finish the fight.

5. Mono

Mono Member

I usually separate my "Closing" Techniques in two main categorys:

1. The Defensive Methods (Wich include for example: evading and entering, Blocking and entering, Counter Striking the Hand and entering or entering while using other defensive maneuvers) - I usually teach those first since they follow the teaching method of "defense first".

2. The Offensive Methods (Wich include Striking & Thrusting, Fakes, Baits, Blocking Counters, Trapping & Countertrapping etc.) - Those I teach to the more advanced students who have started on offensive Methods in the Training Progression in short distance as well...

Both Methods have a variety of details and variations especialy when it comes down to timing & rythm; how to use it, how to brake it...

I totaly agree with Rich`s post - entering is used to finish a fight. When teachning Balintawak, I do not teach "in and out" techniques for Tournament-Style Sparring.

The techniques and concepts I use can not be traced to one single lineage or individual teacher. They are the Result of my training and exchange with various Masters, Grandmaster and Practitioners from numerous Balintawak lineages...

Gretings from Germany,

Philipp "Mono" Wolf
    www.balintawak-eskrima.de

6. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Very true Rich!

7. Cochise

Cochise Member

In my experience most all Balintawak lineages have methods for closing the distance/largo mano. It's just not seen on Youtube alot and it is probably not the part of Balintawak that is mostly taught at seminars since it is not really the specialty of Balintawak.

This video shows a brief example of one of the methods used that have already been described in this thread:

[video=youtube;P1UtZ4AEBIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1UtZ4AEBIA[/video]

8. MacJ_007

MacJ_007 Junior Member

If your attacker is out there to hurt you, then the gap will close by itself. Thats why Balintawak emphasizes, strong defense. If you decide to attack first, you could pretty much do whatever possible strikes out there. Your advantage is that you have the ability to see your opponents attacks and therefore applying some counter measures effectively.

9. yomitche

yomitche New Member

That's true! I love this answer! I don't have to always be responsible for closing range... let them come to me... and they will, because their goal is ALSO to close the gap. And when they do... WHAP!