Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Xue Sheng, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng New Member

I am a CMA (Chinese Martial Arts) guy and the styles I trained have no ranking system, and I have grown to like it that way, also some have forms and some do not.

Sanda (at least the version I trained) has no forms, it has some striking patterns in the form of drills but no forms, Taijiquan, Wing Chun and Xingyiquan have forms. This got me thinking last night and has lead me to a couple of basic questions about FMA styles

Are there forms in FMA or is it dependant on style?

Are there belts or is there a ranking system in FMA?

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng New Member

I have been doing a bit more research today and I have answered part of my own question.
    There are ranks but not all use them apparently.

Also as to forms, I see that some FMAs, or at least the ones I have looked at on the web today, have things required to know for ranks that have been put into a curriculum. But I am still not sure if this could be called forms.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Most systems have ranks, in my experience, and most of the rest have instructor titles/certification even if they don't have formal ranks. Formal ranks in a belt systems aren't as common as they are in some other martial arts.

Same for forms--some have them but many do not. What is (almost?) universal is standard two-person partner exercises.

4. RevDogo

RevDogo New Member

Some have an informal type like...
    Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Instructor
    While others have a belt system.
    One of my teachers has no empty hand forms but kept the stick forms.

5. geezer

geezer Member

re forms in FMA

Xue -- when you discuss FMA it's as broad a field as discussing CMA. There are hundreds of systems, and as many different approaches as there are practitioners. In the systems I've been exposed to, there are often drills that resemble short two-man forms, and sometimes kata-like practice patterns as well. However these patterns are much more flexible and changeable than the Ving Tsun forms I do. The VT forms are old, deep, and meant to be practiced the way they were handed down. The FMA patterns I was taught are recent inventions and are more like shadow-boxing designed to train particular concepts. When a form gets too routine, we change it. We view it more like any other drill, that is to say, as just another training tool.

Now about belts and ranks... that all depends on the organization. In the group I hang with, we don't worry about that. However, I'm in the process of helping an old friend set up an Eskrima curriculum for his own organization and he wants to use a standardized ranking system. Guess we'll just have to see how that goes.

6. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Welcome to FMA talk,

From personal experience (on the styles that I train in) Ranking is different. One of the styles I do is by levels 1 to 9.
    Also, only 2 of the 3 styles do forms. They call it Anyo (shadow) and Sayaw (dance). I guess it depends on the Guro of your style.
    Also we do empty hand forms as well based on Sikaran but I’ve not done it yet.

7. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Many styles that are highly influenced by Southern ( Mostly Fujian and Guangdong ) CMA and JMA have routines and you can see the influence.

8. RevDogo

RevDogo New Member

Hey Sifu Leonard, I sent you an email a week or so ago.
    Angelariz@aol.com

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. LegendLoLo

LegendLoLo New Member

We in Yaw-Yan doesn't have a belt system. Maybe the reason for it is to not underestimate your opponent or another reason that i don't know of.

For Forms/Kata. Well we don't have one also, but we introduced a way to show it to other people without them learning it from one look.

10. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

In FMA, it seems most of them that your 'rank' is your reputation. Or to be even more accurate, a combination of reputation and you seniority.

11. LegendLoLo

LegendLoLo New Member

It doesn't apply to our system. You can only tell someones reputation if he has a belt, namely tournaments.
    For Non tournament fighters, you can tell his reputation only if you ask him/her and he/she answered. =D

12. RevDogo

RevDogo New Member

I'm not sure I would accept that as a testimony of reputation....lol
    In that case, I am the best, most humble, and handsome cat in America!.....hahaha

13. LegendLoLo

LegendLoLo New Member

Like im gonna accept that kind of premonition for reputation also bwahaha. .

Alrighty then. My turn. I have the power! And that power comes with great Responsibilities!

14. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

It's like this:

Person A studies Balintawak since the 60's. Person B has been doing the same. However Person A has been promoting the art more, so I think in a way he is of 'higher rank' (although I hate how that sounds) due to 'reputation by promoting'.

Person C has been studying for 10 years and is HIGHLY skilled, maybe the best. Person D has been studying since the 40's, but is not as active as he use to be. Person D is of 'higher rank' due to 'reputation by seniority'.

Person E has been studying for 20 years, and Person F has been studying the same. Person E is obviously way more skilled, so he is of 'higher rank' due to 'reputation by skill'.

Your 'rank', I think, is often determined by your reputation of how others within the specific community, view you ( not how 'you view yourself' haha ).

15. LegendLoLo

LegendLoLo New Member

Now thats what im talking about! Finally, someone got my idea.