Questions welcomed!

Discussion in 'General' started by Brock, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I'm working with limited computer access lately and unfortunately my cell phone browser only allows me to view this site, but not post replies or new threads. But I was wondering what qestions about the Senkotiros style anyone had. Like I said, I'm limited on my computer usage right now, so it may take me some time to get back, but some other Senkotiros students maybe able to answer them as well.

2. Hey Brock,

How are you?

I'll kick off for you.

When you start to learn the Senkotiros style which weapon do you start with? is it single stick first and then double stick, blade, etc, etc?

How much knife work do you do?

Thanks!

Simon.

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I am always interested in Senkotiros so I would love to hear how the progression in training goes?

4. Muad Dib

Muad Dib New Member

Would Senkotiros be more in the largo / medio / corto range? (I know that it probably covers each, but often you find a 'favored' range in a curriculum's tactics)

What roll does empty hand work play in the development of a Senkotiros player? Is it more striking or does it rely more on dumog?

Thank you.

5. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Simon- I'm doing well at the moment. Some obsticles, but that's what life's about. We start off with single stick then progress to blade I believe GM said the next progression will be to the Tapado or Sibat length stick, but the style's ever evolving, so I won't be sure until the next phase happens.

Muad Dib- The empty hand is always being trained. It's mainly striking. We work in the Medio-Corto range.

6. Thanks Brock. Glad to hear you are o.k.

Do you do double stick before blade or after?

Sounds very familiar!

All the best,

Simon.

7. Muad Dib

Muad Dib New Member

Who founded Senkotiros?
    What was their background / training?
    Is there a ranking system used? If so, what is it like?
    Are there many instructors in the system in the United States?

{ thank you for your time, by the way }

8. Brock

Brock Asha'man

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Please, ask more questions--it'd be great to see more traffic in this forum!

10. Waltyr

Waltyr Member

Greeting to All,

I had a question about the senkotiros system. I recently was watching a documentary video (Voices of the Masters) and one of the first individuals that they interviewed was senko tiros player. They did a brief interview and then showed some of the single stick striking and such. My question is this: I noticed that when this particular player would strike or counter strike, he would initially use the empty hand to pass or jam the weapon of his opponent and then proceed to strike or deflect the strike or whatever other follow up movement. Is this normal for senko tiros players? Does the empty hand generally make initial contact with the opponents weapon or is this just particular to the man I saw on the video?

11. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Sorry it took so long to reply. I'm trying to picture what you are describing. We do check the opponent's stick when we counter strike. We shield fist though so our weapon would make initial contact with theirs though, then the check, and counter.

12. GM Max Pallen

GM Max Pallen New Member

Hello Waltyr,
    your questions regarding the live/empty hand passing, jamming and deflecting strikes is base on balance training of both weapon hand and live/empty hand together. Live/empty hand at anytime should not be resting during the movement of the weapon hand at anytime. both hand should be in unison with each other, it should be taking different responsibility on each own when one other component of the body is in action, that is including when the weapon hand strike the live/empty hand simultenously follow up with anything it calls for type of action(s), that could be passing, jamming deflecting or hold to control. It is depends of one eskrimador fma experiences and right discipline and how much time he had invested to his/her fma training. If one can only reach the hand of the opponent with the end of his stick, because it is consider "largo" range, when one hand touches the opponent hand then one can jam and hold the opponent hands then, it would be "medio" range and when one can touch the body of the opponent then it bacame "pekiti" range. Please go to www.senkotiros.org, since there are plenty questions and answers there for everyone that are curious to learn all about Senkotiros Arnis and about grandmaster Max M. Pallen the founder of Senkotiros Arnis.

13. GM Max Pallen

GM Max Pallen New Member

Greeting Brian,
    I finally have a chance to join you guys in martial talk, thanks to Datu Hartman for his encouragement and finally can answer some Senkotiros Arnis questions....which was taken few years for me to answer but I am here now...
    Anyway, Senkotiros Arnis Instructors was provided a Senkotiros Arnis curriculum... from beginners to intermediate, advanced and "lakan" candidates to enter the consider a" Black belt" on other martial arts system.
    Since you are only asking the general question regarding the Senkotiros Arnis, I think you wants to know the weapon transition. Originally, Senkotiros Arnis base foundation was solo/single baston, it was always been like that when I learned the art from my grandfather. It wasn't until the later years when during my exploration of filipino martial art here in America and in the Philippines that I added the double baston or "sinawali"/"doblekara", the bladed weapons. The "bankaw" came last. Since I belived in balance training I considered the application on combination of all. My quest on FMA skills is still on for life, up to this day.

14. swordexperiment

swordexperiment New Member

how about questions regarding fma in general