Questions Concerning FCS Silat

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by Buwaya, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Where did FCS silat come from?

And though a different topic, could you also tell me where the sarong applications come from?

Thanks.

2. Palusut

Palusut -== Banned ==-

Hi,

It appears that the FCS Silat video will be authored by Guro Ray Cole.

Some of Tuhon Ray Dionaldo's Silat instruction came from the late Master Master Bjin Lateef Mateen from what I recall.

Palusut

3. Ray_Cole

Ray_Cole New Member

FCS Silat is an organization of the elements of empty hand taught to us by Tuhon Ray Dionaldo. Isolated from the broad MANO MANO sub-system of FCS, FCS Silat focuses only on all the incriments that are drawn from the Indonesian art of Pencak Silat. All the techniques and concepts of this sub-system have been organized into a series of short forms and drills to the practitioners' convenience.
    We hope you enjoy it!

FCS stays true to the motto everything relates to everything, meaning all the concepts are interchangable between weapons with little to no modification of technique. This is eveident when you witness Tuhon Ray Dionaldo using the Sarong as a subtle yet, surprisingly effective, even dangerous weapon for self-defense. All movements used with the sarong are derived from the empty hand movements of Silat.
    [Keep an eye out for the FCS Video Production of the Sarong/Malong, coming very soon.]

Oh, and yes I will be joining Mr. Gonzalez in Puerto Rico, March 3 - 5. I will be looking forward to having alot of fun at the camp. Hope to see you there. :lookaroun

4. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Hello Palusut, Mr. Cole,

Can you tell me what systems and individuals the Indonesian silat in FCS came from? For example what form of silat did Master Bjin Lateef Mateen teach?

Thank you.

5. Ray_Cole

Ray_Cole New Member

FCS Silat is primarily Tjimande, but of course, it is a blend of many diferent Pencak systems. See, when Indonesian Martial Arts was adapted into Filipino Martial Arts, it was never certain which system exactly was being taught. It's hard to tell exactly where it came from because of the thousand islands of Indonesia, the thousand different styles of Pencak Silat, the many different regions of the Philippines and the different dialects. My research has traced me back to Silat practiced by the morrows in Mindanao that was supposedly migrated from Java. If true or not, I don't know for sure, just records in ancient history. However, in a nutshell, FCS Silat, traced back to systems of origin, would be mostly Tjimande / Harimau, to say without any certainty.

6. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Thank you.

Can you tell me what individuals Mr. Dionaldo learned his Tjimande and Harimau from?

Also is the silat kept as a distinct system or blended into everything FCS does?

Thanks.

You probably meant Moros:).

7. Ray_Cole

Ray_Cole New Member

Tuhon Ray learned most of his Silat from Master Bjin, Tjimande/Harimau, which was the primary discipline of the Mano Mano blend that he was teaching. Tuhon Ray is also a long time student and friend of Willem DeThuars, from which he has learned alot from over the years.
    FCS Silat is isolated as an art in itself. It's been seperated from the Sikaran / Dumog / Panantukan elements that also make up our Mano Mano sub-system. So yes, it is a distinct system, simply because the Silat is such a broad system, there is so much content and material that we have tried to organize it into an easy to teach / easy to learn curriculum.

8. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Thanks Ray,
    That's the awnser I was looking for.