Question for Modern Arnis historians....

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by RevDogo, Aug 2, 2011.

1. RevDogo

RevDogo New Member

Some very rude person made some ignorant comments about different styles that he deemed "bast@$d" styles. He said Modern Arnis was one of those styles.
    He said "Why create Modern Arnis? What was wrong with traditional Arnis?"
    I stopped talking to him and pretty much ignored the guy, however..
    Why was it, Modern Arnis, instead of, Presas Style, or some thing similar?

2. Labantayo

Labantayo Junior Member

Modern Arnis and Kombatan are bastard styles, as in styles with many influences.
    The story given to me about the nake 'Modern Arnis' is that the way it was taught, was Modern. A Modern approach to learning arnis.

3. Labantayo

Labantayo Junior Member

That should be 'name 'Modern Arnis' "

4. RevDogo

RevDogo New Member

Thank you very much.

5. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Personally I think the word bastardized is a little too strong. I like to use the word Eclectic. Professor took his family art and then he cross trained in other systems taking what he thought what best compliment his fighting style. This is very similar to Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do and the concept of absorb what is useful; of course professor did this before Bruce.

Why the term modern? First we have to look at Filipino martial arts history. FMA was becoming less popular because people were getting injured during its training and not able to work and provide for their families. Karate was becoming more and more popular due to the fact that you could train very hard and still be able to go to work the next day. So Remy adapted new teaching principles such as going stick on stick and using controlled strikes versus hitting one's partner. He took a MODERN approach to teaching and that’s how the name came about.

6. Labantayo

Labantayo Junior Member

Exactly what Datu Tim said.