Question about JKD-Kali

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by kali808, Jul 11, 2007.

1. kali808

kali808 New Member

Hello all JKD-Kali enthusist. I was wondering if the JKD and Kali is taught as a whole or taught seperately as two seperate arts. Also, if the teachings of the curriculum are based on DVDs.
    The reason why I'm asking is because I was wondering if there were any consistency in the entire Inosanto Umbrella. I think that JKD is a very effective art with deep concepts, and so does the Kali. I was just thinking, if Bruce Lee was alive, would he have wanted it to go the way it is going now, or would he want it taught just JKD only? I took JKD-Kali in the past and I just did not like the blend of both arts taught simetaneously.
    I personally decided that I like FMA, and it just makes more sense to me. Tuhon Gaje's blogs on the Philippine culture, history, fighting system, and so forth are more inspiring to me. I decide to learn the purity of Kali, rather go MMA style with the whole JKD-Kali approach.
    I know I just asked a bunch of questions and I don't have any intentions to confuse or start a big debate. I know everyone will have there opinions regardless of what the true facts are. Please feel free to post your thoughts on the curriculum on JKD-Kali thought as a whole or seperate, and the whole DVD thing. Thanks.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Where I study it is taught as a single, combined system: JKD, which ahs elements of Wing Chun, boxing, savate, fencing, and, of course, Kali (as well as other arts). The Kali part is far from complete and is used to augment the main Wing Chun and boxing components.

3. kali808

kali808 New Member

Thanks for your input. I think that it is better to study them seperately rather than go MMA with the whole thing. If one wants to learn JKD, the just learn JKD, if one wants to learn Kali then keep it at Kali. Learning many different arts at once turns it into MMA. Bruce would have wanted it to be JKD only, and Kali practitioners don't see the reason to mix martial arts as well. It wouldn't make sense to train with the rattan as a representation of the blade, and do a jujitsu move to choke them out or finish the fight. Kali is truly a warrior art that takes no prisoners.

I guess in regards to the whole DVD thing, I should have read the past blogs. It seems like DVD learning is huge in the JKD-Kali thing from what I read and see. Most well know instructors in the JKD-Kali umbrella has a DVD series. I suppose they all have their own interpretation of JKD-Kali.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, everyone has their own take. I enjoy seeing the DVDs of other groups, but to my mind, you can't learn much from a DVD--it eitehr reinforces what you already know or prods you to go to the source to really learn the material.

5. 408kali

408kali New Member

I've found DVD's / VHS tapes useful only after reaching a certain level of proficiency or understanding of basic concepts and terminology. I'd guess that if Bruce Lee were alive today his interests in different martial arts would have cast a wider net, what with the internet and all. Bruce Lee seemed to me to be a very open-minded individual with regards to martial arts. One can only wonder what JKD might look like today...

6. Doc

Doc New Member

---Greetings! I'll take a shot at your questions and see if I can help!

I was wondering if the JKD and Kali is taught as a whole or taught seperately as two seperate arts.

---That depends on who is doing the teaching! If you find JKD groups descended from Ted Wong or Taky Kimura or others students of Bruce Lee, it will be pure JKD. Typically groups connected to Dan Inosanto will teach a blend of JKD and Kali. But even that is not consistent. Guro Inosanto has travelled in the past to do seminars and has geared them to what the seminar host wanted him to do. So he has taught straight up JKD at some seminars, and straight up Kali at others.

Also, if the teachings of the curriculum are based on DVDs.

---I think that Guro Inosanto's curriculum is constantly evolving and changing. But there are many different DVD series out there. Guro Inosanto himself has done several. Guro Rick Tucci has done a series on pure Kali that is supposed to be very good. If that is where your interest lies, those are the ones I would check out.

I was just thinking, if Bruce Lee was alive, would he have wanted it to go the way it is going now, or would he want it taught just JKD only?

---Its hard to second guess what anyone would do so long now after their death. But my impression was that Lee was constantly learning new things and evolving and changing what he was doing. I think its a pretty good bet that if he were still around today his JKD would look somewhat different than it did back then! My guess is that he would have whole-heartedly embraced the recent ground-fighting "revolution." :) As far as the JKD/Kali blend....Lee himself did Kali in Enter the Dragon!

I took JKD-Kali in the past and I just did not like the blend of both arts taught simetaneously.

---Personally, I feel the same way. But hey...different strokes for different folks! :)

---As far as learning from DVDs. It takes some natural talent and a good background in basic movements to really benefit from DVDs. And, of course, a willing training partner! :) But with those ingredients, you can go a long way with DVDs that are done well. So don't let anyone tell you that you can't learn from DVDs. If that were true, what would be the point of making them!

Hope that helps some.

Keith

7. Silence_sucks

Silence_sucks New Member

Where i study JKD and Kali are taught together, with emphases on the similarities but the individual components are identified as either kali or jun fun. We get certification in jun fun jkd, inosanto kali, muay thai and maphilindo silat which means we aren't just mixing and matching components but studying whole arts.

I feel that the attributes you get from kali really help the jun fun work, the sensitivity drill almost mirror each other, the trapping goes beautify together, the jun fan pad work helps with panantukan and pananjakman, same with the grappling - the benefits go on and on.