Question about Inosanto Kali

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by jayMa, Jun 16, 2007.

1. jayMa

jayMa New Member

I have a question about Inosanto Kali. On other forums when I read a post about Inosanto Kali it's not always positive. Not all the post just a few and it made me question why? Is it jealousy or something else? Do people have an issue with Inosanto his system or both? I would like to know what people really think!

Thanks

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

When I hear negativity it's usually from people who study a JKD derivative that uses only a little FMA in it. They then assume that the whole Inosanto-Lacoste system is lacking as well. If someone does empty-hand JKD and only chooses to use a little bit from the FMA, that's fine by me--but based on my one two-day seminar with Mr. Inosanto, he seems to have a wealth of material.

3. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

Lot's of instructors, and a lot of them dabblers. You have a lot more people with only a smattering of knowledge teaching. It's not the style, it just how it's distrubted and then how it's controled after it's taught.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

He doesn't seem to exert much control--it seems like he's willing to let people rise and fall, sink or swim, on their own merits.

5. Dagadiablo

Dagadiablo New Member

The reason people talk Sh-t from other teachers of JKD is becuz there is no JKD! Duh! BRuce lee didn't want it known as a style so Danny, with all his integrity, didn't perpetuate it as such! He could have easily marketed JKD and Bruce Lee's name to make millions! Instead, he perpetuated his love for the FMA. Although I am not a disciple of Danny, I am from Stockton and have trained directly under most of his Kali/Eckrima instructors.

The other guys are simply "sour graping" because outside of the martial arts their lives as janitors is not as exciting as **** taliking on the internet.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I understand Bruce Lee's family is now trying to enforce a trademark or similar protection on "Jeet Kune Do" and market it:
    JKD Naming Issues.

7. wesbennett100

wesbennett100 New Member

At some point this changed from Inosanto Kali questio nto a JKD politics question... I missed a left turn here somewhere.
    Ya'll are gonna hafta slow down for the Southern (adopted Filipino-Hawaiian brudah) Boy... hahahalol.

Guro Inosanto's Kali is a blend... and many have problems with that. If they do, that is fine... there is a door out and a door in. He learned from SO many Masters, I personally am glad he chooses to share so much with all.. at times it escapes me...but rather than it leaving when the Guro leaves the earth-- it is nice to keep the art taught him alive.
    Just my opinion.
    -wb

8. NubreedKaliSilat

NubreedKaliSilat New Member

Amen brother, there are many people who love the system and plan to keep it alive.. I'm one of them. It is a blended system of many different arts so people that only study one art can't understand it...It is a process of learning and then with your own expression developing what fits you best...In America everything has to have a clear cut line to what is need to learn. Inosanto Lacoste blend is a never ending method of researching what arts work for you. I trained with Ba pak William De Thouras and his Kuntao silat has no requirements what so ever, we learn what ever he wanted to cover. That was the way he was taught, and said that all arts where like that in the old day's in Indonesia. From what I understand most of the founders of many systems in the Philippines never had a syllabus at all either. But, in America if someone pays for lessons they want to know what they are getting in return..and how long it will take to learn it. They will not stay if they have no direction to train. This is why you see a belt system in Kali now, there was never any belts in Kali. Only the people who really want to learn stay and they learn everything they can.

9. Bahad Zubu-Florida

Bahad Zubu-Florida New Member

I agree with NubreedKaliSilat. I have trained with a few masters in the Philippines and most of them do not have rankings so to speak. You are either a student or an instructor--not much in between. 2 of them though had a belt system--I assume due to the number of "tourist" students they have.
    I have also been a student under Inosanto-Lacoste (Blend) for a few years now. Guro Dan is a very knowledgeable and humble man. I have read people blasting him but have never seen him retaliate. Which is very cool if you ask me.
    While I agree in researching an instructor before joining a group. I also feel that before forming an opinon one should meet the instructor first-hand.