Quality Barong?

Discussion in 'General' started by RatDrall, Mar 3, 2009.

1. RatDrall

RatDrall New Member

I've wanted a decent short sword for a while. I think that a barong style short sword will do everything I want it to (mostly sit in a sheath, not cutting my leg off, while I train with a stick for now) but I want to buy a quality weapon if I'm going to get anything at all.

After searching the internet for a while, I've found two swords that fit the bill. One made by Cold Steel, and the other by Kris Cutlery.

http://kriscutlery.com/documents/philippine.html

http://www.kingofswords.com/Swords/Cold-Steel/Cold-Steel-Moro-Barong.html

Is anyone familiar with either of these blades?

2. maliksi77

maliksi77 New Member

Cecil Quirino of Kris Cutlery is a native Pinoy who lives here in Nor Cal. He turns out some very impressive, highly-quality blades. I met Cecil several times in the gun and knife shows held at the Cal Expo. He has impressive technical knowledge and an amiable personality. Definitely check out his stuff if you’re looking for quality weapons, barongs or otherwise!

3. RatDrall

RatDrall New Member

Do you know what kind of steel he uses for his blades, and what the handles are made out of?

4. Bahad Zubu-Florida

Bahad Zubu-Florida New Member

Have you tried Simon with www.eskrimakaliarnis.com. Simon actually lives in the Philippines and may be able to assist you in your search for a good quality made sword (Simon is also a member here under the name "eskrimakaliarnis.com")..

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I will vouch for cecil's blades at www.kriscutlery.com as well. Definitely good stuff. Ron Kosakowski also has his site www.traditionalfilipinoweapons.com and these are very, very good blades as well. I have also only heard good things about simon's work as well. [​IMG]

6. Thanks for the recommendation BZ Flordia but I mainly concentrate on Training Blades now due to the problems sending blades from the Philippines :(.

If we're talking Barong's it's always nice to showcase GM Yuli's work though :).

[​IMG]

7. Christian

Christian New Member

I have the Cold Steel one... I don´t like it. Poorly balanced and to heavy I feel.

Regards
    Christian

8. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes I have heard nothing but negative on that one. Nothing but negative remarks. [​IMG]