[Q] Tempering or Exercises to Strengthen Ligaments ?

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by snowman, Nov 14, 2010.

1. snowman

snowman no politics

Are there tempering or exercises that anyone can share that would help mend and strengthen ligaments (vs. muscle) ?

/Mark

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Generally any slow, smooth movement with the joints in correct alignment will help mend and repair ligaments. Xing Yi,Quan, Ba Gua Zhang, and Tai Qi Quan are excellent in this regard. Yoga (if done correctly and with proper instruction) can be very helpful, although you might be careful not to overstretch ligaments that have already been stretched to the point of injury.

Two books worth considering are Wang Ji Wu's Nei Gong 13 Exercises (ed. Tim Cartmell) and Tom Bisio's A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth. Tendon and Ligament Healing, by William Weintraub is also excellent.

Since this is a Pekiti Tirsia forum I'd be remiss if I did not mention that practicing Pekiti Tirsia, since it is bio-mechanically efficient, is in-and-of-itself an excellent way to build ligament strength - as long as you do the movements correctly and do not over-train. Just do the movements slowly instead of blasting through them and you should be fine.

Getting in touch with a good Hilot practitioner is a good way to make sure that the joints are in correct alignment before you resume training. If you can't find someone who does Hilot in your area, then a good osteopath, like Weintraub, above, or a Tui Na practitioner is your best bet.

Best,

Steve

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  3. acdcnate

acdcnate New Member

I remember Tuhon had me and my students just do the tapping drills. He would also have me hit tires (be careful of the steel belt). To temper the forearms and shoulders, it is simple...slap them hard daily. The more they get hit, the more tempering will occur.

4. LegendLoLo

LegendLoLo New Member

Same thing happens. Stretch your ligaments. Make it work a little, then let it recover. Yoga is good.