[Q] Doces Methodos - Abecedario Clarification

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by snowman, Jan 22, 2009.

1. snowman

snowman no politics

Hi,

May I ask for clarification on the differences between Doces Methodos and Abecedario ?

The wiki site describes Doces Methodos as "These are the 12 methods or subsystems of the Pekiti-Tirsia system" and the description on your web site of the video 'L1 ABCEDARIO OF SOLO BASTON' is "144 Basic Strikes in single stick. The foundation of Pekiti-Tirsia weapons work." They appear to references similar material.

My limited knowledge is that Doces Methodos is the 'application' of the Abcedeario techniques ... with Abcedeario being individual techniques taught in a sequence covering certain angles and arcs.

Respectfully,

/Mark

2. TuhonBill

TuhonBill New Member

Abcedario & Doce Methodos

Hi Mark,

Think of the Abcedario as an alphabet made up of 12 letters repeated 12 times in different fonts. It is divided into 12 sets, with the even numbered sets being the mirror image of the odd numbered sets. It really does resemble an alphabet in how it is used. "This is how you make a letter A. This is how you make a letter B." Think of it as basic penmanship. It is not spelling or grammar. Just the practice of basic strikes to get a good foundation.
    Grand Tuhon (GT) Gaje told me that his first year of stick training with his grandfather was spent in the Abcedario, with one new set given each month. That's a pretty good pace for a child to start stick training with.
    You can see a breakdown of the Abcedario here: http://www.pekiti.com/outline.php

Now the Doce Methodos (DM) is very different. That is a way to classify the whole system. It takes all the techniques and puts them into 12 groups. Therefore you could say that if the Abcedario is an alphabet, then the Doce Methodos takes the words made with the letters of that alphabet in that language and puts them into 12 books that do 12 different jobs (such as a dictionary, a thesaurus, a book on grammar, etc). Where each technique fits has changed a bit through the years, so what one thinks of as the Doce Methodos depends a lot on when you trained with GT Gaje. The first time I saw the breakdown of the DM was in the 1970's when GT Gaje had the Arnis America Organization. In this syllabus the Doce Methodos were used to classify only the single stick techniques. The next time was in the late 80's as I was finishing up my training. By then GT Gaje had moved a few things around, (techniques from C group were now in W group) and the DM was also used to categorize Doble’ and Espada y Daga, not just single stick. Recent examples I have seen from GT Gaje’s newer syllabuses have been different from what I saw in the 70's and 80's. This may be a bit confusing to new students (especially westerners who like nice linear thought processes), but it is very much in the tradition of training in the Philippines, where an art must evolve and grow or it will perish.

Regards,
    Tuhon Bill McGrath

3. equilibrium

equilibrium New Member

Doce methodos

Doce methodos is the foundation system of pekiti tirsia kali. Translated as Twelve Methods if I were to guess.

So 12 different methods.. method one is Abecedario, again if you ask me I would say the Alphabet or ABCs. In the first method there are two basic forms, multiple attacks and abecedario. Abecedario has a bunch of variations.

the first method and forms I would say have to do with targeting, basic body mechanics of striking, slashing and thrusting, as well as coordination of the other parts of the body with and preceding the strike, pumping the leg, the 3rd hand jab, switching the feet to best deliver the weapon, etc. I would also say basic control of the weapon and multiple energies, broken strikes, fluid strikes, horizontal, vertical, 45 degrees, around the head, etc.

There is alot of body mechanics and coordination of the strikes with footwork in that method.

There is alot more to the foundation system than just all the posible strikes with the stick though(solo baston - one stick is my translation).

So I would say Abecedario is just one part of the 1st part of 12 methods... others involve disarming, footwork, umbrella, follow ups, close quarter specialties and so forth.. so Abecedario is good but there is much much more.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  4. shinshin02

shinshin02 New Member

For a more detailed explanation of the Doce Methodos read this.