Q&A: I want to mix things up to help keep my kids interested in their training.

Discussion in 'E-Zine Articles' started by Bob Hubbard, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Q&A: I want to mix things up to help keep my kids interested in their training. What can I do?

Question:
    I want to mix things up to help keep my kids interested in their training. What can I do?

Answer:
    Kids like fun and games. If it's fun, they will do it longer and keep coming back for more. The challenge is incorporating this into the tradition and discipline structure of training.

One of my clients closes out his classes with a game that uses some of the skills needed in training like balance or coordination or cooperation, but only if the class was well behaved. This makes it a reward and helps keep them focused.

Some of the games used include kick-force measuring kick shields, and other such devices, adding a little friendly competition as they work techniques.

A good variant is a take off of the old "Simon Says" game, where the instructor calls out techniques and those who do the wrong ones or do techniques at the wrong moment are eliminated.

For more ideas, please see my article "Spicing up your Kids Classes"

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Thanks Kuya Bob!

We play Filipino games after class, even if they were being mischievous. I will try your advice.[​IMG]

3. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Thank you. Let me know how they work for you, I'm always interested in knowing more. :)