Psychic Surgery...faith or farce?

Discussion in 'General' started by Carol, May 31, 2007.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Something that personally intrigues me about Filipino spirituality is the popularity of psychic surgeons/faith healers.

Debunkers such as James Randi dismiss the surgery as parlor tricks...yet they are popular among many Filipino and Indonesian people. I've heard that most healers do not charge for their work.

Your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlUh9YSenZg

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  2. Will

Will New Member

These so-called psychic healers take advantage of people in their most desperate and weakest times in their lives. Most of these con men do charge for their services. Be it money, personal property or the power over someone or village. These guys don’t do anything for free!

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm sure that's true! Just a classic con, I'd wager.

4. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

This isn't the only form of "pyschic surgury" in the islands. And its not a new phenomenom ( new as in the past 30-40 years). I'm surprised to see a clip for Indonesia, before this iteration only existed in Brazil and the PI, both derived from spiritualism in France in the 1800's. Older varitations were reported in first contact Spanish accounts. You can still find exponents of the older forms through out the islands. That people charge an arm and a leg is..well, I guess between them and God. I'm of the opinion that there are both fakers and ..well, unexplained things. And there are those who could do unexplained things, didn't follow the rules...and are now unfortunetly fakers.

5. Wayuk-Oyaak

Wayuk-Oyaak New Member

I agree with Buwaya. There are too many faith healers in th PI! Especially in remote areas where espensive doctors are lving. I am surprised that they caught in camera all I know is that it can't be seen by a technological apparatus or should not be filmed or photographed because of other beliefs.

My cousin which she had an abscese (spelling please) in her lower jaw - was removed by a faith healer and she didn't felt the pain... all she noticed was that there was a feeling of cut. I saw it after she showed me the area where the tooth was removed. Though I didn't see the entire procedure. The fact was, the faith healer didn't ask for any money or contributions... he told my cousin to go to church... pray and be thankful.

6. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Yep this is my experiance as well. My mother was recently in Siqihor. The healers wouldn't accept any money, not even food!

One of them told my mom that they would lose their abilities if they accepted money for it.

I don't know if thats true for everyone, but does seem to be a common theme.

7. Will

Will New Member

This is called ‘Farming”. Perform a free miracle on someone and that person will spread the work high and low. Next thing you know the healer is in great demand. This is when he starts to charge. You will never be able to witness a surgery up closed and personal. There will always be a member the healer’s crew between you and him. If I sound a little heated, it’s because I hate good people being taken advantage off. Nuff said!

8. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

There are scammers, but don't confuse them with the traditional mid wives, hilot and albularyo. There is definitely a long tradition and a lot of wisdom in these arts. I'm not sold on the psychic surgery, but many of traditional herbal and massage therapies I've experienced in PI seem to work very well.

The traditional healers don't ask for anything, but it is customary to give them an offering for their services.

Pete

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

This is an important point! The scammers do tend to give a bad reputation to the many honest and helpful traditional healers.

10. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Faith healers

I remember very vividley as a child going around Manila with my Father as he filmed faith healers.
    My Grandfather was also treated by a faith healer in Manila.If my memory servers me correctly he did benefit from the treatment.

11. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

Check this out. It's Vice TV meets Jun Labo... one of the most famous psychic surgeons. He's the guy that Andy Kaufman when to.

http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=1114191240&bccl=NTA1MzE0ODg0X19FVEM=

Pete