Pros and Cons of FMA Tournaments

Discussion in 'General' started by The Phalanx, Oct 5, 2009.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

For me the pros are that you can meet other FMA people and have fun... But the con is that it doesn't really define you as a fighter because of all the restriction in the rules as well questionable scoring by judges...

What are other peoples takes?

2. It's better than writing on an internet forum.

3. The Phalanx

Yeah and I am writing this cause I just got back from fighting in a tourney... Met some real nice people and had lots of fun... Cheering for your team and watching them succeed... I placed 4th in the Lightweight division... The judging was questionable cause a lot of the fighters did not get points for hits that counted and got points for hits that didn't count... IE: Ticky tack hits and flailing wildly were clearly stated in the rules that you were not gonna get points for them but some fighters scored in bunches with it...

I did score me a cool impact weapon type of pen from Cold Steel for joining... Something I've been looking for but did not want to cough money for... So I'm very happy...

4. Cool. How did your team do and who did you represent?

5. The Phalanx

Well, I went with a group called Descendants of Pulahans... I don't really train with them but I do know most of them as well as their instructor very well... I was going to sign up as an independent but being with a team benefited me with a ringman as well a cheaper price to compete... As well as not looking like a loner... And of course being offered to represent them I don't want to pass up and end up looking like I was insulting them...

They did pretty well actually... They racked up a lot of the trophies... I think half the team placed in the top 3 in their divisions as well as sweeping the entire heavyweight novice division...

6. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

If you chalk it in the pro ledger than that's all that matters....if ya chalk it in the cons ledger..same/same,,,everyone will differ for as many reasons as Halls has cough drops....I did tournaments a long time ago...I always found Pro's and Con's....all in all it was good for that moment in time and for where I was at in my life. As with everything, if we stick with something long enough your desires change as the years go by..what was cool when your 30 doesn't look near as cool when youur 46...it's life...and the journey always evolves.....

7. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Well said MIke!
    I'd say that one's attitude toward tournaments depends on their overall perspective and motives to be involved with the particular martial art in the first place. as well as it is trained and done according to your long-term training goals, it should be OK.

8. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Mike’s got the right idea. If you go into a tournament looking for the con’s you will find more of them. If you go only looking for pros, same same

Look at it more as which would you get more of out of (cons or pros?) the specific event and so long as the event specific training doesn’t have a detrimental effect on your long term training goals, then why not participate.

Go to find something out about yourself, make friends, experience new styles, see how you/your style stacks up against them and generally, just have some fun.
    There’s no substitute for competing against an “uncooperative opponent”. Someone who doesn’t care how you look, doesn’t want you to win, in fact wants’ you to loose badly in many cases (depending on the tournament).
    Even in your own school’s dojo, no matter how hardcore you train, your partner still wants you to be/feel OK and deep down you also know him and somewhat trust him.
    When you face someone you don’t know and who moves unfamiliar, that can often be the best learning opportunities.
    You may just now be realizing, the true learning comes not during but in the weeks following the tournament.

We'll be at the Pacific Island Gathering and Tournament in Chicago this weekend. Would love to make some new aquaintances.
    This tournament is a great place to have fun in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. No rabid ego posturing there.

9. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Its all good and fighting in that arena defines you as a combat sports fighter. The only con is when you start to overestimate your "fighting" ability. There are numerous fighting arenas and tournament is but one of them.

10. yomitche

yomitche New Member

Good points!

I think if you look at the tournament as a win/lose event, you might be sorely disappointed or unduly inflated.

I have an event coming up soon and intend to test skills I've been working on in training during the sparring matches. Can I effectively employ (x) against someone who is unwilling or unaware of the technique. In training, a partner may easy cede to a disarm... does an opponent? Not always. Can I manage the fight in a manner in which I can disrupt someone else's intent? Get the coveted disarm? Stop hit a kick? Block efffectively, etc?

If I can't manage the skills properly, I'll probably do poorly in the matches. Someone might think of that as a loss. Rather, I think of it as a chance to develop the skills even more than I have. Ask questions that I didn't think of before... why wasn't I able to slip this in? Was it a lack of speed, timing, what? Then back to the drawing board to rework things that haven't worked or appreciate the fact that those that do work are successful.

Tournament rules ARE hard to live with and often leave one with a sense of disappointment about performance... but really, who cares?

Ultimately, the number of medals, tropheys, and career wins is irrelevant when it's for real. Maybe it's the hard, close matches that develop us more as "real world" fighters than easy tournament wins. And it's perhaps through adversity, rather than outright victory, than we can be tempered for "greateness."

Just my opinion, though...

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It's easy to get disheartened from tournaments...something is always egregiously wrong...but I've picked up lots of great tips and seen things people at my school weren't using against me that I wanted to be able to defend against anyway.

12. junior eskrimador

junior eskrimador Expect the Unexpected

Where was the tourney at?

13. The Phalanx

It was called Samahan and it was held at Pearl City High School gym here in Hawai'i...

14. The Phalanx

I just realized something... I may have not won it but the guys I fought were left limping at the end and one of the guys showed me his bone bruise on his shin that I gave him... Mind you, this was Smak-Stiks...

HAHA That's better than a trophy...

15. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I guess that would depend on which end you were on, eh?...LOL.....ahh exuberant youth, gotta love it...I think I remember it..hmm or was that gas?

16. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Tournaments (and I have done one or two in my time) are a training tool much in the same way sparring your techiques amongst class mates are a training tool, they are just a training tool used under extreme pressure and when you have the right approach they can enhance cartain attributes that will enhance your real fight skills. They are good for pressure testing regardless of whether you win or loose.

If you win, you know you have done something right, if you loose you know you have something you need to work on.

Gripe about loosing and you miss the point. Accept it and learn from it and you have just found out what it is all about.

Like other tools in life, tournaments need to be used as such, problem is some people try to hammer the nail in with a spanner instead of using a hammer, and some try to tighten a nut with a hammer instead of using a spanner.

Each format and that includes formats such as the Black Eagle Society and DBMA as they too are sports with rules and sparring equipment all be it minimal, has it's pros and cons, recognising them and learning from them will give you a better undertanding of your own personal skills and how to improve them.

Best regards

Pat

17. DonKey

DonKey New Member

Couldn't have said it better, this isn't karate. The only reason I spar or participate in such things is to pressure test what I know, find the techniques that work best for me and find out how to make other techniques work through tweaking.

18. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

And if you can do it in a restricted environment with rules that limit your skills, how much better will it work when you are allowed to throw the rule book out the window.

Isolation training, which is what the sport is, makes you sharper in those areas. But that does not mean you will isolate your fighting skills in a real sitation.

After all learning to shoot gun for real life encounters in the army or the police force has rules much like a sport but that does not stop them shooting you when the rule book has flown out the window and it has now become a life and death situation does it. It is not as if they line up a group of bad guys and say OK shoot the mothers is it. Paper targets does not make for a paper LEO or papaer Marine.

Best regards

Pat