Problem with FCS dvds

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by imas560, Sep 5, 2007.

1. imas560

imas560 New Member

Hello all,
    I emailed Mr Dionaldo end of July in regards to his curriculum dvds, then I tried emailing Mr Cole then I tried emailing Mr Dionaldo again (mid August) but I heard nothing. So I took the plunge and ordered the dvds via Paypal (15 August).
    So I start chasing the order up (3 Sept) and have emailed via the paypal recommended customer service address every day and have heard nothing.
    I reside in New Zealand and have ordered material from the Sayoc group and the Atienza group and apart from the normal hassles of missed emails over the holiday period have not had a problem. I have ordered material from Mr Keating and he dealt with the order personally and I was bowled over with his service.
    My question is has anyone else had problems ordering from the FCS group? They appear to be legitimate, but this epsiode is one of the worst I have had in regards to knowing what is happening with an order. If anyone who has encountered this type of problem with FCS can let me know what happened and the outcome (favourable or otherwise) would be much appreciated.
    thanks

2. Baddmojo

Baddmojo New Member

I would recommend Emailing Ray Cole again, Ray Cole was in Thailand for his annual visit to his camp for the whole month of August. Tuhon Ray Dionaldo does not deal with any of the DVD sales, which rests solely on Ray Cole. I believe Ray Cole just returned this weekend and I'm confident he'll be sending you the DVDs soon. If not, message me before Friday evening because I'll be seeing both of them at the Gathering and speak to them about it personally. I'm sure there has just been a misunderstanding and I can assure you the DVDs are well worth your while.

Anthony

3. imas560

imas560 New Member

Hello all,
    thanks to those who PM'd and Baddmojo, its been a month since order placed and still haven't heard anything. Writing this one off to bad timing/karma/not mean't to be as I've heard only good things about the FCS group. Am awaiting Budovideos.com to get the Felix Valencia knife fighting boxset back in before cancelling the FCS order and using the money to purchase Guro Valencia's dvd set. Can't wait, heard that Guro Valencia's material is top notch.
    Regards

4. imas560

imas560 New Member

Hello all,
    raised a dispute with paypal on 17 Sept, still no response from FCS. Dispute elevated to claim 22 Sept, no response so far. Have since found out that even if claim is found in my favour does not guarantee a refund of my money.
    As paypal advises:
    "If the claim is decided in my favor, will I get all of my money back?
    If a claim is decided in your favor, PayPal will make every effort to recover funds from the seller. The amount of money you are eligible to receive depends on a number of factors, including where you made your purchase and whether your seller is eligible to offer PayPal Buyer Protection. If your seller offers PayPal Buyer Protection, you are eligible to receive up to $1,000.00 USD coverage."

Caveat emptor.

However on a good note, ordered the Felix Valencia stuff on 25 Sept 2007, fedex has just rung to advise parcel has cleared customs and is scheduled to be dropped off between 1pm and 5pm this afternoon. Am certainly impressed with Budovideos.com.

5. St. Bernard

St. Bernard New Member

I hate to say it, but I also had a problem with the FCS training DVD's. The idea behind the training DVD's is that you can learn the FCS curriculum long distance up to Level 5, which is ALOT of material. On the FCS website, you see what information you need to demo, and can send in a video to Tuhon Ray to "test". Well, I got the video and learned the material and when it came time to send in the "test" I had a few questions. I sent two emails to Tuhon Ray without a reply yet. I'm still waiting, in fact. Kind of a bummer, because I'm a big fan of Ray's and the curriculum is pretty extensive, but very doable if you have any kind of previous Kali training.
    This was a strange post for me to read, because I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences.

6. imas560

imas560 New Member

Hello all,
    Paypal came through and claim has been decided in my favour. Still nothing from FCS Kali.

Interesting note in the paypal email advising me of the claim being settled

Other Details
    -----------------------------------
    To make sure future transactions proceed smoothly, we suggest you visit the
    PayPal site and click the Security Center link located at the bottom of any
    page. There you will find tips on how to avoid fraudulent sellers in the
    "Fraud Prevention Tips for Buyers" section.

Very odd

7. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I'm guessing PayPal is sending that as a generic message. Very disappointing to hear that Filipino Combat Systems did not deliver the merchandise on money they took.

8. imas560

imas560 New Member

Hello all,
    arrived home yesterday (Oct 9) to find a package awaiting me. My dvds had turned up. Have emailed Guro Cole's email address as listed on the dvds to try and get the money resent as it appears I have been refunded in full. So far have managed to watch approx 2/3rds of the first dvd and it looks really good. Also am starting to feel a bit of a prat about the whole thing.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Sounds good!

10. imas560

imas560 New Member

Am now in conundrum of trying to pay for the dvds, have started emailing again to try and establish contact to facilitate payment.

11. Far Walkers Moon

Far Walkers Moon New Member

Happy to hear you got your DVD's. Now after watching them would you give us your thoughts on them.
    I have a few questions on this whole idea of training videos:
    1. You mentioned testing so are you saying that the FCS is now selling rank via video testing for rank? What is the cost of this "testing". Dose this bother anyone but me ( the whole idea of getting rank with out being in front of an instructor)
    2. it seems that a few have had problems with getting their dvd's , or any correspondence from those in the FCS. Is this just a communication problem because only one or two people are in their sales area or is this a bigger problem ? Just asking as I have no dealings with them at this time.

12. Baddmojo

Baddmojo New Member

I had spoken to Tuhon Ray about your situation at the Gathering, he had mentioned to me that oversea shipments were funky and thing get losted. I figured it got resolved. Apparently not, well at least you got the DVDs. I also found out that Ray Cole doesn't handle the DVD sales anymore. I'd recommend going to FCSKali.com and try to contact Tuhon Ray from there. Good luck. I hope you liked the DVDs.

Anthony

13. Sabre

Sabre New Member

Below is a direct quote from fcskali.com - This does not appear to me as if he is selling rank (well not any rank that would matter really)....just my personal opinion thou :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Carol

What do the different levels mean, Sabre?

Perhaps a better question would be...someone that I know in FCS training described his level in comparison to an equivalent black belt level.

At what level would one have the equivalent of a 1st black?

15. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Well based on what is on their website with what you posted here it does appear that you can get rank up to a level below instructor via video training and video testing. [​IMG]

I personally hope that is not the case!

16. Carol

So level 5 is instructor/Guro?

17. Sabre

Sabre New Member

My post above is based solely on what I read on the site. I am not an FCS guy. Please note that I have nothing to gain or loose from anything here. Just posting what can be found on the web by anyone. I mean no disrespect to Tuhon Ray or any member of FCS. After reviewing my own findings, I must retract my statement about "not selling rank". It appears you can video test your way to senior student.

- doing a quick search on the web I found the following.

http://fcskali.tripod.com/id62.html

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It's so different from Modern Arnis, where Lakan is a 0th-degree/probationary black belt rank, and Guro is the title for an instructor of rank around Lakan or Lakan Isa (1st degree) or Lakan Dalawa (2nd degree),d epending on the org. For 5th degree a title like Punong Guro or Master might be used.

19. Carol

Lakan Isa or Lakan Dalawa isn't used for everyone of those ranks, its only used for male students. If the student is female, Dalyang Isa or Dayang Dalawa is used.

20. St. Bernard

St. Bernard New Member

In all fairness to the videos, it's not like you might imagine.

First, there is a pretty hefty amount of material covered in the first one (which is the only one I watched). If you were able to watch the video and learn all of that material, you would have a good foundation of the basics.
    Personally, I had already been studying Kali for awhile and much of what I saw I was already doing. The video had a few variations, and a few new things, which enhanced what I was doing.

Second, you can't "test" simply by making a video of yourself doing the material. You need a training partner to do the hubud, tapping drills, and a few other things. In essence, you would be forming an FCS training group and studying the material.

Lastly, you don't go anywhere in the system until you start training with Tuhon Ray, either at the Gathering, or at his seminars. The videos are really just to compliment your training and remind you of what you are working on.

Now, with ALL of that being said, I STILL have not heard back from Tuhon Ray about the particulars of the "testing". I've pretty much written off doing anything with FCS Kali, which is a bummer, because it fit into the KDC curriculum nicely. Ah well.

Good thing we're training with Tuhon Gaje at Valley Forge, and Maryland.