private lesson

Discussion in 'General' started by snake, Jul 7, 2008.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, I agree! I think in similar terms.

There's also basic economics. A fair price is when what I'm willing to settle for = what you're willing to give up. That's how it works!

2. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

So true. My instructors are considered cheap here in Alberta, but their years of experience and abundance of knowledge speak for themselves.

3. Richard Haye

Richard Haye New Member

I have a school in Norway and have been studying the martial arts for nearly 25 years. It has cost me a lot of time and money to gain the knowledge.

How much does a plumber, electrician, or a doctor charge an hour? Being a professional martial artists takes many years of "education", so I don´t see the problem charging 100$ pr hour for a private lesson. This is something you choose or prioritize and it is not something that is forces upon you. Of course it may seem expensive and you can question its worth, that is also up to you. If you feel it is worth it, you will do it if not you won´t.

If you are going somewhere you can choose your means of transport, you can walk, buss, taxi or fly... all might get you to your destination, but the price and travel times vary..... Its up to you :)

4. snake

snake New Member

i still think charging 150 an hour is rip off.you also have to ask who can afford 150 an hour.that makes eskrima not available to most people.there is also the view if everyone charged that amount who would be learning eskrima just the well off

5. oosh

oosh Junior Member

I live in the UK, most I've paid is 20 least I've paid is 10 an hour.

6. Kailat

Kailat KAILAT KOMBATIVES GROUP

private lessons

Well, there are a few ways we can look at these prices outrageous or not.

A) some feel their teachings and thier knowledge is the holy grail of that said art, therefore they charge a rather undesirable fee, which in turn probably only gets them a specific type of student base. (My advice is you can find the same teachings elsewhere for cheaper.-may not be a big name though..)

B) Im certain there is a small % of teachers who really do not wish to teach private lessons as much as you would like to pursue the teachings. Therefore they charge a HIGH price almost unheard of. This just assures the teacher if he has to give up his daily chores or other doings he's going to make sure he's overly compensated for his time. (my advice to this type of teacher is don't waste your time, because chances are he don't want to teach you anyway.. nor will he put forth the full energies to share)

C) You can find those that feel they have a great deal of knowledge to give and would enjoy every opportunity to share thier wealth of knowledge for a minimal or small fee. ( my advice, is to check thier background and if your satisfied I think your good to go)

D) Then you have the guy who just loves the martial arts in general. His soul existance is to study and help pass along the arts no matter what the cost or agreement is. These guys are far and few in between those that want to make a living from the arts. This guy in my opinion if you find him.. hold onto him.. offer to give him what your feel hes worth.. he will be pleased w/ the time you share let alone f you drop him a $20 spot, or take him for dinner.

7. Richard Haye

Richard Haye New Member

There is a difference between a regular class and a private class. Kali/ Eskrima is available for a reasonable price 6 hours a week. If you want to learn like everyone else join a regular class. Go to a weekend seminar.

Who can afford 150$ for a private lesson? HMMMmm The one who works and saves his money and prioritizes it. Usually the people who complain about the price of training, seminars, equipment and so forth spend there money on other things. Cool designer clothes, parties, alcohol, the latest hippest cell phone.... If you really don´t have money and really want private lessons, you will do what it takes... wash the gym, paint the gym, quid pro quo.....

If you want an instructor to give up his time for you and teach a private lesson, he will first have to get to the gym, (gass and time) give you the class (time) and go back home (gass and time) and for this you want to pay 20 $.... Cheap skate!! Who is hustling who?

Living in Norway, one of the most expensive countries in the world, maybe 80 - 100 $ an hour for a private seams ok. the same price as 3 Gin and tonics :) or 5 beers.....

There is a big difference between being trained by Mr Miyagi, who has a regular job and teaches the martial arts for fun, and an instructor who has taken a chance and does what he loves doing as a career. For this he must make money so he can feed his family. Spotting him a 10$ or taking him to mac donald´s for a private lesson won´t pay his bills.

Besides you don´t just walk into a gym and book a private lesson without knowing in advance if it will be any good....If you know the lesson is worth the amount the instructor is asking its your choice to either do, or don´t.

In all areas there will be people who question the value of merchandise no matter what they are. Why pay alot of money for deodorant, clothes or what ever. Some people shop at the cheap stores and some don´t, and you are basically getting the same stuff made in the same place....

If you get someone to teach you privately for a 10er or a beer, more power to you.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  8. Nakiko

Nakiko New Member

Heheeh funny you should say that. I ran into a guy through a mutual friend, and over a few beers he was telling me how good he was and that he taught bit of Eskrima and some other stuff. And for a case of green bottles he would give me an hour of private lessons. Well I took him up on his offer, and ended up teaching him a few things. Come to find out, he actually took a few months of classes from an instructor friend of mine...

But a deal is a deal, so I gave him the case of beer, although I did end up helping him finish it!

A lot of times you get ehat you pay for....

Aloha,
    kiko

9. blindside

blindside student

Should eskrima (or anything else) be available to most people? When did it become Is it somehow a necessity of life that the public have access to these arts? This isn't food, water, or reasonable living conditions, learning a martial art is a luxury. If you don't like what these instructors charge, don't pay the fee, and don't take the private lesson.

Lamont

10. Richard Haye

Richard Haye New Member

Well said!! Just because someone charges money, does not mean they lack a love of the art. There are many great masters who have died poor, because they were bad business men.

11. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Personally I love teaching private and semi private lessons and have a regular group of people that I teach in this manner. Their time with me and my time with them is very special. Do I charge? Of course. Is it fair to them and to me, I believe so. The rate is set based on how regular of a private/semi private student they are. If someone just wants one or two private lessons then it is expensive but if someone wants to take multiple ones then the price goes way down so that it is affordable in this market. That is the way I try to make it work. [​IMG]

12. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander Junior Member

I must admit; my prices aren't etched in stone.
    They fluctuate with the amount of time and number of people.
    I don't throw up my achievements as a selling point either,which is a slight problem because people tend to think sport trophies justifies your teaching abilities. I let my personal teaching speak for itself.
    If I followed the london rule of finacial rape and inflated personal image; I could charge loads more,but that is not me.
    I have actually been paid in food and favours before and I am ok with that.

BUT.......
    if you show up driving a jag.....
    London rule it is ;)

13. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

That is funny Damien! [​IMG]

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

You know, I forgot to look at it from this side but that's a good point! There's fun in group classes but a satisfaction in one-on-one-or-two training.

15. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I love to teach both private and group sessions. I enjoy seeing peoples lights come on when I teach a group. I break them into small groups and have them get in their personal laboratories. With privates I always ask my student "What do you wish to work on". I never dictate what must be done, it is their time, their money and in the end their preference. I have found by having this policy individuals are much more inclined to take privates.

"I am your teacher, you are my employer, what do you wish to learn." ~ MOI

16. snake

snake New Member

i have washed cars and mown lawns to pay for training . i train because i love it it takes over your life.no person is going to teach for free when its there living.im just saying it should be kept real.people do have a choice if they 150 or not .i would not

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

People pay up to $400 per hour for personal fitness training in Los Angeles. If that's what the market will bear...well, that's economics!

18. Kailat

Kailat KAILAT KOMBATIVES GROUP

Sounds good!!!!!!!! I think the market here in Timbucktoo Indiana is alot diff than that of Hollywood California, or Chicago, IL, or some major city thats all. People around here would rather spend their money on a case of beer for the week, or an ounce of pot. If its not that crowd and the person has a direct interest in learning martial arts, then they can't afford alot....I think since i live in a college town most are family men and those that have the extra don't spend alot on the general time. Wich is good. My average is $20 to $25 per private if I do teach one.. I have not yet had any takers but thats fine for this moment. I really don't have the extra or spare time to teach private lessons, but if I had a taker im sure i'd make the time.

It's good to hear that many has great successs in this field.

19. Stone

Stone New Member

I've never understood this type of cheapskate attitude when it comes to martial arts instruction. How much would one expect to pay a top rate professional from another feild for an hour of their personal time???

That being said, if an earnest, dedicated student, is having financial problems, that will never interfere with their ability to train with me. It's really not about the money. However, if you have 50 bucks to spend drinking with your buddies on friday, and and simply MUST have that new fancy blackbery, and then have the nerve to balk at me for charging more than a twenty spot and a 6-pack, I believe your priorities are a bit out of wack. Twenty bucks? That's a movie and some freakin' popcorn. Personally, my time (and the twenty odd years I've spent getting to this point) is worth more than that.

P.S. I just wanted to clarify, I have no problem with those who choose to charge little or nothing for instruction. I just think that those of us that are professional martial artists deserve the same amount of respect that people show their tv repairman, plumber,mechanic, ect. I don't think that's too much to ask if what we offer actually saves and improves lives.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  20. snake

snake New Member

how can it be a cheapsake for not wanting to pay 150 an hour i cant anyone can justify charging that amount.if a plumber or whatever tried to charge that amount id tell them where to go.and find another plumber