private lesson

Discussion in 'General' started by snake, Jul 7, 2008.

1. snake

snake New Member

what do people think off the amount that is charged for private lessons.i think the price some instructors are charging is very extreme.in the uk they are charging anywhere from 50 pounds upwards.what are the prices like in other countries.

2. oosh

oosh Junior Member

There's plenty that don't charge any where near that, so not sure who the "they" is. Who are you talking about? and have you had a lesson with them to see if it is worth it ? if not have you asked anyone that has had experience with them their opinion in regards to value for money?

3. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

It seems like a touchy subject, but in my personal experience when i considered Filipino martial arts in Edmonton, it is between $60 and up for an hour. I think it depends on the instructor. The highest priced was this instructor certified under JKD Kali. He makes a career out of martial arts so i guess he charges accordingly.

4. snake

snake New Member

why i ask this question

if the lessons are too expensive then only people that are well off can afford to get the best training.also are charging 60 pounds for fourty minutes training what can you learn in fourty miutes.im not talking about individual instructors it seems quite alot off them are over charging

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I don't think $100 per hour for private instruction is unusual...whether it's worthwhile or not is up to you! It's different if you only need a little fine-tuning as opposed to needing to learn the fundamentals.

6. snake

snake New Member

my opininon

i think 100 pounds for training is a rip off.i ask why noone ever questions it

7. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

CAVEAT EMPTOR ~ Buyer beware! Perceived value is also left to the discretion of the buyer. I have seen people charge as much as $200.00 an hour, and people chomp at the bit: they figure 200 an hour he must be great. I have also seen others who are dang good teachers charge $20.00 an hour and get absolutely nobody...some people figure, hmmm only 20 an hour he must suck. Personally I have two rates..for my students a private of 1.5 hours is $40.00....for non students $60.00.

Is it fair? Only the individual who seeks instruction can determine that, and that is a personal quandary......

8. snake

snake New Member

40 pounds for 1.5 is very fair.its in the reach off most people so godd on you

9. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

Private lessons

Sometimes you get what you pay for, and other times not. When it comes to gear and weapons, I always tell my students to buy the best they can afford. I always say that, when you are in a real fight, you will not regret one dollar you have spent on the gear that is with you or one hour that you have spent training for combat. So, on one side of the argument, how much is your life worth? Mine is worth more than $100 to me. In addition, there is the fact that many top notch professionals (engineers, lawyers, etc.) charge far more than $100 an hour for a consultation. I know of an engineer whose time is billed at $400 an hour, and, because of his skills, people are eager to pay it to get his participation in a design project.

On the other side of the argument is the fact that a private lesson or two is normally not going to be earth shattering. Most people are unlikely to have this great "awakening" in a couple of $100 an hour training sessions and learn concepts and skills that will save their lives if things turn ugly out in "reality." Few people are going to dedicate the funds to pay for enough private lessons at this kind of rate to actually develop the muscle memory and skill set necessary to make their arts work in actual fighting. Those that do have this kind of money are often executives who want one-on-one instruction with an instructor and who do not want to work in a martial arts class environment. One-on-one is nice, and there is definitely a place for it in the "fine tune your skill set" area. However, I think that when developing skills it is better for the student to face other students in sparring as well as the instructor, so that the student learns to work against people with different fighting styles, temperaments, skill levels, body types, etc. Sometimes, working with only one person, you get very good at working with that one person, but aren't so good at being flexible--something you need in a real fight, as it is constantly changing and is never the same environment twice.

As for me, I am a full-time U.S. federal law enforcement officer and I have a family. I teach in a classroom environment and don't have the time to do much private instruction due to other commitments (like job and family). Instruction from me is pretty inexpensive (the money goes to the guy who allows me to use his Aikido school three days a week to teach, and it helps pay his rent and electricity). I don't charge for private lessons. Those are gifts normally reserved for my senior students when I think they need it to bolster their training.

10. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I charge $30 an hour for privates. The reason I do it is because I have a day job that keeps me away from my family, and I run my regular classes for 4 hours 2 soon to be 3 nights a week which also keeps me away from them, so if I'm gonna' be away from them for another hour, I'd better make it worth it. My regular class price is a way better value because quite frankly I'd rather teach a class with several people in it than a 1-on-1.

11. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Guess I should way into this with my little shot in the pricing war.. I used to charge $15.00 an hour for my private lessons, but this price was exclusively for my military students.. But depending on the reasoning that I get from the student when I interview, I will determine my price from that aspect.. I have had people who have been with me for more than 15 yrs and I think I charged them for the first couple of months when they started training with me.. But, after I got to know them, I didn't charge them at all.. One of my students who was with me for more than 3 yrs and came back to train with me after a stint in the desert which I gave him a crash course in Knife, stick and empty hand defensive tactics before he deployed.. He came back and we took the rough edges off of the rocks I tossed at him during the first exposure he had with me prior to his deployment due to time constraints.. He went through the whole program learning the traditional Kuntao program that I teach for ranking purposes.. He is one of 3 instructor candidates that I have promoted over the years..

I had one client who was a professional videographer who contacted me through the internet before he came to guam.. We met and negotiated a contract using the barter system (ie one hour of training for an hour of video filming and editing for dvd format).. He studied with me for 9 months and out of all that time I received a 15 minute video for all my time wasted with him.. I dropped him like a bad habit when he went to North Korea and shot a video for another stateside client.. When he came back, he called me to start training again, on our first training appointment, I gave him an invoice for the total of $3000.00 for 9 months of training.. He almost had a heart attack and when I told him that he owed me that much for private training, he himmed and hawed around about it being too much, I told him to go piss up a rope and let me know if it felt like rain.. I took it in the shorts with that contract and since that time I stick with my initial ritual and that is to interview all students and from the impression I get from this meeting, makes the determination if I take them as a student or tell them to piss off.. I don't like wasting my time with people who are halfassed in their training, because two people have their time wasted with this type of attitude..

12. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander Junior Member

I'm in london and I charge £25ph for private lessons.
    I am one of the cheapest in this expensive a$$ city!

BUT, people seem to think if it costs more,it MUST be better.....

I'll oblige them if they want:EvilGrin:

13. geezer

geezer Member

Question it? You just did! But think about it. If people were lining up to pay you that kind of money, I'd bet you'd take it too. Aside from special situations, like working with "scholarship" students and close friends, we charge what we're worth. Lately, I've been teaching for nothing! LOL.

14. snake

snake New Member

train

people dont use lawyers and such all the time.no instuctor is worth 50 upwards.should it cost that much to save you life.i train for the love off the arts and self defense.

15. snake

snake New Member

damien alexeandra from london sounds more like it.he does it because he love its and not trying to make vast somes off money

16. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

That's about $50 usd. That is the industry standard. My staff charges that much. I charge a little more but give discounts based on quantity of classes. I also allow two people to share the private at no extra cost. Generally I prefer not to do private unless my students have scheduling problems.

17. geezer

geezer Member

Well, by the same token, most people don't take privates all the time either. I've paid a good deal more than $50/hr. for privates to get the kind of one-on-one correction and refinement I felt only a master could give. Then it's back to more reasonably priced group classes for a couple of months to work on the stuff. Forget the comparison to lawyers, doctors and other high paid professionals. When you consider what most tradesmen charge per hour, $75-$100 isn't unreasonable at all for an hour with a top notch expert. I just regret I don't have a lot of extra cash to spend that way.

18. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

It's worth whatever value YOU think it is. I've paid a lot and very little. If you think $50 is a lot don't do BJJ. They charge up to $300 per hour!

19. snake

snake New Member

i do privates all the time two a week.i prefer private training to classes.because i dont think fma is something thats easy in very large classes.that is not for everyone i know its just the way i prefer to learn.

20. Bobbe

Bobbe Member

People charge on whatever sliding scale they feel appropriate. For instance, I don't do privates for ANYONE who isn't my student (unless you are an attendee of the Gathering of the Tribes) but my students get it for free.

On the other hand, my school is semi-private to begin with, and my fee is $150.00 per month.

A good measure, I think, is to consider what you make in your professional life. My time at work is worth $80.00 an hour, right now. If you want me privately, are you willing to pay my hourly rate that I make at work?

Also, charging for martial arts classes is one thing, that is a presupposed agreement between teacher and student: I will be teaching at these times. I charge this much for it. Be here or not.

Private classes are time away from everyone else, family, friends, life. I would argue that deserves a higher charge, and furthermore should constitute an accelerated learning program. If you're paying X-amount of money for private lessons on six-count sinawalli, or inside deflection, you aren't ready for privates yet. You should stay in regular classes until your skill warrants your instructor pouring knowledge into you at a more personalized level. If you're only paying lots of money for a few hour's extra class time on things you already know but haven't mastered yet, I'd say the fault is your own. The teacher is responsible for teaching, but the student is just as responsible for LEARNING, a point that's often overlooked. The student is supposed to internalize this stuff outside of normal class times, and be ready for the next lesson when they arrive. If the last time one of my students picked up a stick and played with it was the last time I actually taught a stick class, he's gonna be in deep crap with me.

Also, be sure you are getting what you WANT from a private class, and if you're paying out the yang for it then there should be an understanding between you and the teacher at the beginning. If you want the Chicken Step, advanced disarms, all knife work, whatever, be clear about it from the beginning. It's not disrespectful to to be honest about your intentions, it's YOUR money. The most they can say is no.

The rates should reflect skill and knowledge of the teacher, but, like Blackgrave said earlier...it's a coin toss. Unless you know of the teacher's skill and are fully aware of how much knowledge you will get for money and time invested, be VERY cautious. It's easy to get hypnotized by shiny things and pretty certificates, but you can't hide your skill (or lack thereof) once the hands cross. I have wasted money on big names and they sometimes turn out to be all fluff and no cookie. But remember: Expensive doesn't mean bad, cheap doesn't guarantee quality. And vice versa.