Private Kalis Illustrisimo Training in Manila

Discussion in 'Kali Ilustrisimo' started by BayaniWarrior, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayaniWarrior

BayaniWarrior New Member

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Master Tony Diego or Romy Macapagal were available to teach private one-on-one lessons.

I plan to visit the PI in December for 3 weeks and I want to absorb as much as I can in a short period of time. If anyone could help give me any info, I'd appreciate it.

-Mike

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Does anyone know?

3. Twist

Twist Junior Member

Well, same answer as in the last few requests like this. Mang Tony (and I guess it´s the same for Mang Romy) mostly teach people they know.

But you can always try to meet the KI group at Luneta park on sunday mornings.. and if you´re lucky, you may get a chance to train with these great Masters.

4. BayaniWarrior

BayaniWarrior New Member

Can anyone give me either one of their contact info?

I'm dying to learn KI, and to learn as much of it as possible. There are no KI instructors where I'm from so I'd like to learn it so I could spread it here in New Jersey.

-Mike

5. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Isn't Bakbakan's stateside HQ in NJ? I'm sure there's already people in your area teaching KI.

6. Shonin

Shonin New Member

When I was looking to study another FMA I went looking in the Mid-Atlantic Region for either PTK or KI. No one at the Bakbakan website seemed to be either answering e-mails or answring the phone. I finally reached John Jacobo. He was very forthcoming, but he had just moved to Arizona and was obviously not an option for regular training. I believe he said that Ray Galang had moved out of the country, and that Christopher Rickets had moved to California. Don't quote me on that. The conversation was a while ago and I may well be incorrect.

However, simply put -- I couldn't find anyone from Bakbakan or KI in my area to study from, or (with the exception of John) even to get back to me.

I finally ended up studying PTK with the Ladra brothers near Baltimore. I am delighted and very happy with the way things turned out. I'll probably have to wait until my next life to study KI.

7. CincoTeros

CincoTeros New Member

I heard (though not positive) Ray Galang had moved to Australia.

8. CincoTeros

CincoTeros New Member

BayaniWarrior,
    Check your private messages box..

9. NigelTufnel

NigelTufnel New Member

You want to learn it in 3 weeks then spread it in your state?

10. Nigel,

As GM ilustrisimo said:

"Eskrima is easy 1-2-3"!

I take it that you have not been to the Philippines to learn with the Grand-Masters mentioned in this thread? It is possible to train 1 to 1 for three weeks and learn the fundamental concepts of Master Yuli's system.

The problem is understanding and application. For that you need to practice, practice and then practice some more. Master Yuli encourages his students to bring video cameras so when your brain is fried from all the material you can review it in less daunting chunks when you return. The material you will be exposed to will enable you to practice on your own or with your partner for months, if not years (depending how many sessions you have and how quickly you pick it up).

I personally contact a lot of the people that pass through here and try to gauge their satification with the training. Not one person (unless you know otherwise) has had a bad word to say about it. Most of them are compeltely blown away and choose to stop training their previous styles to focus on Bahad Zubu. in some instances they even change the name of their gyms and websites.

If anybody would like me to put you in touch with people who have come and done the training (as I have done myself) I would be more than welcome to. 3 or 4 of them post on these boards as well...

Simon.

11. NigelTufnel

NigelTufnel New Member

Would a traditional non-commercial group in the Philippines sincerely allow a new student with 3 weeks of training (realistically 3 days a week at the most) to teach the system in the U.S.?

12. Twist

Twist Junior Member

Teach non-commercially to keep on training ? Yes, quite sure about it.

Teach on Seminars and represent the system ? Depends on the trainer and what he thinks of you I guess... Depends on your background, your ability to learn, ...

13. Hmmm...interesting how your first 2 posts in FMA Talk are on this subject, eh?

I will answer your question.

You are wrong in your assertion that it is 3 days at most. The instructors program with Master Yuli is complete with 60 hours of one-on-one training with him.

Typically that will span 20 sessions of 3 hours of training.

Regarding other groups here in the Philippines I would not know... What I do know is that Master Yuli is one of the most respected Eskrimadors here in the Philippines and has been for some time.

Unless you've taken the course I don't think you are in a position to comment on how effective it is. How long would it take you to learn how to box? How long does it take to lean how to drive a car? How many different strikes, techniques, etc really are there?

Well, with Bahad Zubu I can answer - 2.

Forehand and Backhand.

What about footwork?

Move in. Move out.

How about different techniques.

Clockwise. Anti-Clockwise.

How do you really learn and understand something? By teaching. As Master Yuli says:

"Simple Basics - most advanced".

14. Twist also makes a good point.

Most of the people going through here are already skilled martial artists.

What is wrong with teaching a working group after having 60 hours of one-to-one instruction with a great master?

I also agree with the seminar points. At the end of the day if people like it don't pay and go somewhere else. Live and let live and just do your own thing :)

15. NigelTufnel

NigelTufnel New Member

Why is that interesting? Would you care to elaborate please?

I am looking for teachers in my area in the U.S. I am not aiming to be an instant teacher if that's what you're implying. I joined fmatalk to search for answers to specific points I am concerned about, and so I have a small amount of topics that interest me at this point, hence I am not spreading posts around all of fmatalk's topics.

My understanding of typical traditional informal Filipino groups is that seniority is a big deal. I am talking about non-commercial groups that don't advertise with set training fees and a defined curriculum. Traditional groups may politely allow a newbie to teach, but they will talk behind his back and comment negatively about it. They even somewhat "train" students they dislike because they don't have the heart to push them away and say so in their faces after traveling thousands of miles to find them. Being frank and outspoken is not the norm in these types of informal groups who insist on just teaching friends that they like. Some "students" are just tolerated because the trainers don't want to go through the hassle of rejecting them.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  16. NigelTufnel

NigelTufnel New Member

I take it you had training time with GM Tony Diego of Kalis Ilustrisimo. Did he explicitly enjoin you to teach his system?

17. Twist

Twist Junior Member

I think every single one of the trainers I had in the past, including Mang Tony, told me to find a training partner to train with - and of course you learn a lot while teaching, so it is a good way to train I guess. - And theres really no way around it if you live far away from your master - other than moving, which is what I'm trying to do ;)

But on the other hand, I wouldn't give seminars or lessons for money and by doing that represent the system; not until I was explicitly told to do so. And even then - most Filipinos are very nice ppl and if you go there and they get the impression that this kind of approval is what you want, they may just give you a title or something like that. But I guess then you should be honest and compare your abilities to the abilities of your master and his senior students.. and then decide if you're ready to represent the system.

18. NigelTufnel

NigelTufnel New Member

I wish you good luck on your journey to learn more. I hope you do find a partner.

The problem with that is, it's highly subjective, inherently prone to bias and prejudice.

19. Twist

Twist Junior Member

Nah, you got me wrong.. I'm moving to SE-Asia ;)

Honestly, if you've ever trained with ppl. like Mang Tony and Tom, or Mang Yuli or, I dont know, Bobby Taboada, Dan Inosanto, ... you WILL be able to compare your own level to their level. And of course a video is always helpfull ;)

20. NigelTufnel

NigelTufnel New Member

I used "journey" figuratively. Nevertheless, good luck.

The popular persons you train with and the presence of your own footage doesn't change the fact that judging yourself is subject to personal pride, unless you're as honest as a saint.

I think an unambiguous explicit appointment by the GM to teach, attested by the senior practitioners of the system, would send a clear message of the right to teach and represent the system, especially if the student didn't ask for a rank and wasn't expecting one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.