Preparation for Tournament/Competition

Discussion in 'General' started by Phil Mar Nadela, Mar 21, 2009.

1. That's the point I was trying to make Pat.

A "Flying kill" technique (as I posted in the "Tyre work of champions" video) is very effective. IMO jumping up and down on the spot without really striking is not. Again, my view is if I try and do a bunnyhop / kangeroo jump over a low attack I know for a certainty that my instructor will hit me three times before I land and then another 3 shortly after. Depending what mood he's in! The resulting ear-bashing would be mandatory of course LOL. So it's just not something I would want to try.

People may do it and get away with it, fair enough. Many people don't look before they cross the road (well - in Asia it seems anyway!).

Arnisador - thanks for answering that question.

Phalanax - We were talking about raw beginners. I would suspect there's quite a few intermediates that could hit a Master of a different FMA system. Though that is also probably true in many different martial arts - not just FMA.

Simon.

2. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Master....everyone can be got....whether it is in training or especially in crunch time. We all bleed and we all breath. There is no superman and for some to put others on pedestals as if they were invincible or untouchable is ludicrous at best!

3. Sorry, would you care to expand on that point PG Mike? Who is on a pedestal now?

Yes, everybody can be "got". Everybody can be "ambushed". All the training in the world won't save you from a bottle over the back of the head at the wrong place at the wrong time.

However, this topic is predominately about FMA sparring which starts from face to face, from a few meters apart when the ref says "Fight!"

Maybe what you are referring to / your experiences deserve their own thread? I'm sure we'll all be interested in it... ;)

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I have seen over my 29 years in the game, teachers and so called masters given such revered status that one may think he is God all frigging mighty. Far to many times do I see practitioners sell themselves short touting their MASTERS skill and abilities over their own as if this person is untouchable. In reality whether it be a duel, a match or a spar everyone can get driven into the dust..and to place such lofty status on anyone is pure BS... respect for your teacher is a good thing but to place them on pedestals of grandeur is hype..pure and simple.

Amen...great tactic eh...but ambush is a mindset not a set way...few understand this!

I know this..hence ambush as a mindset. Even within this spar mentality every swinging dick can still be got. IMHO the word shouted should be compete!

Few may be interested, the very few I share that bond with. A bond formed in the actual realm of combat where rounds whistle by your head and bodies explode. Where hearts harden and compassion dies. Most practitioners I have come across have very little interest in simple, ugly and ruthless...sad to say most prefer flash and glitz and even pedestals....sad indeed!

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" ~ Oscar Wilde

5. Again, thanks for your comments. Much to ponder upon indeed.

I did pause upon what phrase to use; "Let's get it on!", "Hajime" "Fight" etc, etc. I was just making the point that a signal is given so both sides are ready. The word that you prefer is immaterial. It could be the falling of a damsels perfumed pink handkerchief. You know, I know, we know - let's do it.

No chance for ski-masked ninjas to repel from the ceiling under the cover of smoke bombs and ninja stars...I am intrigued by your notion of "Motion is motion" (no humble poet I) but also puzzled by the fact that everything you do I can mirror or counter (in theory!) should you try to "AMBUSH!"

Mindsets are great. Doing it in reality against a skilled, ready opponent is a whole different ball game. Even if you get there by your own "Testicular Fortitude" how are you able to teach this to your students?

Hmmm. I've never seen this in my study of FMA personally. You're right - maybe that would be better for an army veteran's board or something...

6. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I always bring something to the table..it may come from a different frame of mind based on experiences, but hey isn't that what makes this whacked out world roll...

Oh I understand...but I still say yell COMPETE!..

Oh yeah I dig your thinking..uh huh...pink lady hankies and damsels..Let's do it!..Oh yeah!

Sucks don't it...here it's more like methed out vatos and ski masked crackers...they don't use smoke bombs and ninja stars though..just Glocks and machetes....LOL
    They key word here...THEORY!...it's all theory until you get bloody...few are willing to do that....

Mindset drives the cajones....doing it is the key...but you gotta have the mindset to kick start that bitch into gear!..Hence Mindset!

Have to have the right type of cats....I don't teach everyone..I know the types I like to work with...most are a bit rough around the edges..have seen some things. I prefer teaching some nutty sum-bitches...

I believe personality attracts likeness...I have few if any namby pambys seek me out...or dojo dollies...they just don't last....so many are looking for their master..so many for the martial grail..so many for the belts..the bowing..the Bull ****....with me it is everything but..just raw, nasty, hard work..with emphasis on kicking the dog crap out of people if they choose to get froggy. Not everyone's taste,,eh?

To each their own...that's what makes the flip side of the cracker taste good!

Quote:
    ..where rounds whistle by your head and bodies explode
    Not a veterans board to be sure..most roll REMF....Billy where you at..come on you Guam island reject...LOL

7. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

8. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

LOL..got that right...also see donut dollies...chairborne rangers..and my favorite, desktop commandos......gees they urked me beyond belief!

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Yes mindset is everything, you can have all the lovely techniques and drills in the world and you can be King of the Matt, but unless you have the mind set then you will crumble at the first sign of resistance.

Even successfull tournament fighters have to have the mind set, that is the difference between some one winning a medal or peice of plastic on the off chance that he or she has had a lucky day and the judges did not like the person they where fighting and the individual who comes back and does it again, and again, and again.

The difference between a good tournament fighter and a successfull tournament fighter is the same as the difference between a good fighter and a successfull fighter, the mind has to be in the right place at the right time.

I have done tournaments for many years and the only thing that made me successfull was that I wanted it more than the other guy and I would push anyone out of the way that tried to stop me, I have been in more than my fair share of bloody encounters, (real ones) and the only reason I am sitting here typing right now is that I wanted it more than they did and I was willing to push anyone out of the way in order to get it.

Yes technique and training helps whether it be real or sport, but it all boils down to mindset no matter which avenue you have to take.

Do you want it more than the other guy? Really? Do you?
    Are you willing to go that step further than they are? Are you? Really?
    Are you bothered what happens to them because of your actions? Really? Are you?

If you can answer yes to the first two and no to the last, then your in with a fighting chance and the rest is just lady luck on the day, because if she aint with you, then it is good night from me and good day for him.

Just my thoughts
    Best regards

Pat

10. sjansen

sjansen New Member

I get the end on the thing but what are the first two letters in REMFS.

11. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Rear Echelon

12. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Don't forget about POG's and FOBBITS.